Is it okay to be a gay college athlete?

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sorry had some things to take care of, wasnt avoiding. Knap, you are missing my point, not all people feel the same way. Why is a bare breast illeagal? It's not hurting anyone, infact I would argue it brings pleasure to some. Everyone has there vice, for some it's bare breast (ex wife was a prude), for others it's two dudes kissing, for others it's dudes with long hair, for others it's short skirts. If you are going to argue for open sexuality, then you have to argue for total openess. You are trying to pick one thing and say thats ok but the rest is not. I am again not saying it's right, but it is the world we live in. I am not changing my stance, what happens behind closed doors is not my bussiness. I used to catch hell from my ex cuz I liked to walk around my own house naked, she used to say what if the neighbors see you, I used to say, well they shouldnt be looking. I understand your point!!!! My arguement is if bare breast affect some people, why would you assume men kissing would'nt? How can you be pro one and not the other?

:facepalm:

I am not missing the point. The point is pedantically obvious.

You are making the analogy that being gay is like baring breasts in public. This analogy is incorrect - bared breasts are illegal, being gay isn't. A bare breast is illegal because society says it's illegal. Society does not say being gay is illegal. This is your logical problem - you are confusing your morals with laws. *I* am not picking and choosing anything, I am just telling you, correctly, which parts of our discussion are legal and which aren't.

The problem here is that we're not talking about "society," we're talking about your opinion.

I'm judging them by saying that their lifestyle is morally wrong. They have made some poor decisions in their life. I have too, that doesnt make either of us bad people.

So you believe that they choose to be gay?

Completely. Now they might have some biological differences like having a little more estrogen in them, but I do believe that it is a choice.

I presume, being close to these family members, that they have told you that they did not choose to be gay, correct? If not, I encourage you to ask them about their "choice," and have a discussion about it with them.

Oh I have had discussions not just with my family about it but with friends too. But I also know of men who claimed that they were gay and it was not a choice. Now they are married men with kids.

Oh I have had discussions not just with my family about it but with friends too. But I also know of men who claimed that they were gay and it was not a choice. Now they are married men with kids.

In your discussions with your family members, did they tell you it was a choice they made?

Sorry had some things to take care of, wasnt avoiding. Knap, you are missing my point, not all people feel the same way. Why is a bare breast illeagal? It's not hurting anyone, infact I would argue it brings pleasure to some. Everyone has there vice, for some it's bare breast (ex wife was a prude), for others it's two dudes kissing, for others it's dudes with long hair, for others it's short skirts. If you are going to argue for open sexuality, then you have to argue for total openess. You are trying to pick one thing and say thats ok but the rest is not. I am again not saying it's right, but it is the world we live in. I am not changing my stance, what happens behind closed doors is not my bussiness. I used to catch hell from my ex cuz I liked to walk around my own house naked, she used to say what if the neighbors see you, I used to say, well they shouldnt be looking. I understand your point!!!! My arguement is if bare breast affect some people, why would you assume men kissing would'nt? How can you be pro one and not the other?

:facepalm:

I am not missing the point. The point is pedantically obvious.

You are making the analogy that being gay is like baring breasts in public. This analogy is incorrect - bared breasts are illegal, being gay isn't. A bare breast is illegal because society says it's illegal. Society does not say being gay is illegal. This is your logical problem - you are confusing your morals with laws. *I* am not picking and choosing anything, I am just telling you, correctly, which parts of our discussion are legal and which aren't.

The problem here is that we're not talking about "society," we're talking about your opinion.

No, all women have breast and most men like them. We were not consulted when the laws were written, so to say "society" says they are illegal is a losing argument. I am not trying to use bare breast as an analogy, I am simply trying to point out that everyone is closed minded. So you dont have a problem with men kissing in public, but I bet you have a problem with your daughter wearing a leather mini skirt huh? Thats my point!! Being "open" about things is a wonderful concept, but not a workable one.

No, all women have breast and most men like them. We were not consulted when the laws were written, so to say "society" says they are illegal is a losing argument. I am not trying to use bare breast as an analogy, I am simply trying to point out that everyone is closed minded. So you dont have a problem with men kissing in public, but I bet you have a problem with your daughter wearing a leather mini skirt huh? Thats my point!! Being "open" about things is a wonderful concept, but not a workable one.

You may want to retake a civics class, and pay special attention to the part about representative government. You are not consulted on most of the laws in your city/state/country. Doesn't work that way.

What's wrong with leather miniskirts?

• Fire 1

It Really doesn't matter how the fan feels. It's his teammates that are the deciding factor.

Just as the military, it's the members of the forces that are the people who make the "gays" life a living hell or an easy one.

Just like in the military the rules shouldn't be made to appease bigots. They shouldn't get to make the rules.

:yeah

In your discussions with your family members, did they tell you it was a choice they made?

Of course not, I don't know of any homosexual who says that it is a choice. Ultimately it comes down to my religious beliefs. Lets just leave it at that and get back to talking about football.

Of course not, I don't know of any homosexual who says that it is a choice. Ultimately it comes down to my religious beliefs. Lets just leave it at that and get back to talking about football.

If you know it's not a choice, I find it odd that you would judge them for "choosing" to be gay. If they were born gay, God made them that way, correct?

If you know it's not a choice, I find it odd that you would judge them for "choosing" to be gay. If they were born gay, God made them that way, correct?

He said he doesn't know any that would say it's a choice, but he believes that it is a choice. As do I personally, but whatever floats someones boat.

Let me ask a question, is it okay to be a racist college athlete? Should we allow players on the team that are openly anti-semitic, anti-black or anti-hispanic? People were say they were just born that way or were raised that way, that doesn't mean it isn't a choice. There's a choice in just about everything humans do, some choices may feel natural, but that doesn't make them right. In America it took until 2003 to strike down laws against sodomy nationwide via Lawrence v. Texas.

You may want to retake a civics class, and pay special attention to the part about representative government. You are not consulted on most of the laws in your city/state/country. Doesn't work that way.

What's wrong with leather miniskirts?

Nah I am all to familiar with how the gov works. There is nothing wrong with mini skirts, in your eyes or mine but we are not everybody, and if openly gay affects or concerns 1 or 2 coaches or players, you cant risk it. I mean what if a school came right out and supported 2 openly gay players, what about locker rooms? What about incoming recruits? What about if you cant find a good coach to come to your school because he does not agree? Like I said it's a wonderful concept for people to be more open, infact history teaches us it's the "open" ones who question the norm and have moved us out of the stone age, but as a society those people are way out numbered, there by making it an unworkable concept as a society as a whole.

Let me ask a question, is it okay to be a racist college athlete? Should we allow players on the team that are openly anti-semitic, anti-black or anti-hispanic? People were say they were just born that way or were raised that way, that doesn't mean it isn't a choice. There's a choice in just about everything humans do, some choices may feel natural, but that doesn't make them right. In America it took until 2003 to strike down laws against sodomy nationwide via Lawrence v. Texas.

So when did you choose to be heterosexual?

Like I said it's a wonderful concept for people to be more open, infact history teaches us it's the "open" ones who question the norm and have moved us out of the stone age, but as a society those people are way out numbered, there by making it an unworkable concept as a society as a whole.

So, looking at the results of this terribly non-scientific poll, where only one person has come out and said they're against gay players on their team and 45-ish have said they're 100% OK with it or are OK with it with reservations, wouldn't you agree that the people who are outnumbered are NOT the gays and/or those who would support them, but those who wouldn't? Doesn't that mean your stance of kicking gay players off your team is unworkable, by your own logic?

Why does it matter if someone has a problem with gays or not? The beauty of this country is that you are allowed to discriminate against others (not talking about work settings or other similar scenarios) for whatever reason you want while also being able to like just about anything that you want to like for whatever reason. If someone has no problem with gays, great. If someone has a problem, who cares? If they have deep-seeded beliefs why not just let them go with that? Because one or two guys on a message board have a problem with an openly gay Husker won't be grounds for any disciplinary action whatsoever. At the same time, his dislike for that player due to his sexual orientation isn't (or at least shouldn't) rile anyone up to the point that they become upset that someone would think/feel that way. A lot of people dislike Taylor Martinez because he appears to be a smarmy, self-centered jerk. Although many disagree, I don't see the same kind of outcry protecting smarmy, self-centered jerks that I'm seeing here. What's the difference? Respect a person's right to discriminate.

• Fire 1

I never once said that I do look down on them. I never once said that I am better than them. All I said is their lifestyle choice, I believe, is wrong. I still love them and even enjoy spending time with them.

So you don't look down on them?

Not at all

So if you love them, and you enjoy spending time with them, and you are not better than them, then what about them is comparable to shooting heroin? In what way do you judge them? Negatively, or positively?

Everyone is talking about how it is their life style, who are we to judge. But if this person was choosing to shoot up heroine in there free time I would definetely judge them. I personally do believe that living a homosexual lifestyle is wrong. But it is just as morally wrong as all the guys out there sleeping around with girls. I would still cheer for him and support him as a husker, but would not support his lifestyle.

Comparing a a drug such as heroine, somthing that can kill you, to one's sexual oreintation is way off IMO. It is a choice that someone can make, but we are talking about someone's choice to sleep with a man or a woman. Not to take drugs, and do something illegal.

It is more extreme...but they are both lifestyle choices that are definetely judgeable

I'm judging them by saying that their lifestyle is morally wrong. They have made some poor decisions in their life. I have too, that doesnt make either of us bad people.

What about having sex with men is morally wrong? It seeming strange to you is not a good reason, and neither is pointing to a line in a book. Also, what "poor decisions" are you referring to?

• Fire 2