Is it okay to be a gay college athlete?

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A person's sexuality should have absolutely no bearing on an athlete's opportunity to play a sport or the fan support. If you think any different, then that says a lot about you.

Discrimination is not to be tolerated, ever.

and lmao @ anyone suggesting sexuality is a "choice"

couldn't agree more. People do not choose to be gay.

There's two components to that IMO, do they choose what they are attracted to? Probably not (although some do I'm sure)

Do they choose to act on it? Yes, they could always choose not to act on their feelings.

In the same breath murderers could say they don't have a choice, they have problems so on and so forth. I would agree the feelings are there, but you always have a choice on how you act, always.

Every lifestyle is a choice, sexual orientation, drug use, alcohol use, tobacco use, religion. All life is, is a series of choices. Some may be very difficult or confusing choices, some are no brainers, but they are all choices.

Are you suggesting that gay people can choose to just... not be gay? Would it reasonable for me to tell you to stop acting on your 'feelings of heterosexuality'? Of course not. This isn't akin to choosing to not have that extra cheeseburger because you're on a diet. Companionship is a fundamental human desire, and to suggest that consenting gay adults not act on their feelings, which would require them to either stay single their entire life, or be incredibly unhappy in a forced heterosexual relationship, is nothing short of ridiculous.

• Fire 1

Looking at the big picture, I don't care if a Husker football player is a homosexual. It's his life and he can lead it the way he wants to lead it. The only "choice" involved in homosexuality, heterosexuality, etc., is whether or not to be open about it. One of my best friends is gay and told me two years ago. I've never asked him why or what made him gay, because to be honest it shouldn't matter. I don't have an answer for why I am heterosexual - I just am. I'm attracted to women and he's attracted to men. There's really no explaining why.

All of this said, there are people out there that have reservations about homosexuality and statistically speaking there are probably some on the Husker football team. The fans don't matter in this type of discussion - the players do. Being gay probably won't make him less physical or less determined to win. If the players can deal with it then it should be no problem.

Lastly, and I might be in the minority on this opinion, but I don't think a person's sexuality shouldn't be openly talked about especially if it doesn't fit the norm - like homosexuality. An openly gay player submits himself to all kinds of trouble from teammates and most definitely his opposition. Should it? Absolutely not. But you're kidding yourself if you don't think there are people out there that would have a huge problem with it including opposing players. This is why I said I would have reservations about a player admitting he was gay. I want to protect our players and being even more scrutinized isn't what they deserve, and unfortunately being openly gay would bring a lot of scrutiny in various ways.

I'd prefer sexuality not even be on the radar, but it is for some people.

• Fire 1

Looking at the big picture, I don't care if a Husker football player is a homosexual. It's his life and he can lead it the way he wants to lead it. The only "choice" involved in homosexuality, heterosexuality, etc., is whether or not to be open about it. One of my best friends is gay and told me two years ago. I've never asked him why or what made him gay, because to be honest it shouldn't matter. I don't have an answer for why I am heterosexual - I just am. I'm attracted to women and he's attracted to men. There's really no explaining why.

All of this said, there are people out there that have reservations about homosexuality and statistically speaking there are probably some on the Husker football team. The fans don't matter in this type of discussion - the players do. Being gay probably won't make him less physical or less determined to win. If the players can deal with it then it should be no problem.

Lastly, and I might be in the minority on this opinion, but I don't think a person's sexuality shouldn't be openly talked about especially if it doesn't fit the norm - like homosexuality. An openly gay player submits himself to all kinds of trouble from teammates and most definitely his opposition. Should it? Absolutely not. But you're kidding yourself if you don't think there are people out there that would have a huge problem with it including opposing players. This is why I said I would have reservations about a player admitting he was gay. I want to protect our players and being even more scrutinized isn't what they deserve, and unfortunately being openly gay would bring a lot of scrutiny in various ways.

I'd prefer sexuality not even be on the radar, but it is for some people.

Sexuality is on the radar for every human, whether we like it or not. If the gay player gets all kinds of trouble from other players, then maybe THEY should be kicked off the team. It's just not okay to institutionalize discrimination in the name of "protection" from the people who are actually the problem.

A person's sexuality should have absolutely no bearing on an athlete's opportunity to play a sport or the fan support. If you think any different, then that says a lot about you.

There's two components to that IMO, do they choose what they are attracted to? Probably not (although some do I'm sure)

Do they choose to act on it? Yes, they could always choose not to act on their feelings.

In the same breath murderers could say they don't have a choice, they have problems so on and so forth. I would agree the feelings are there, but you always have a choice on how you act, always.

Every lifestyle is a choice, sexual orientation, drug use, alcohol use, tobacco use, religion. All life is, is a series of choices. Some may be very difficult or confusing choices, some are no brainers, but they are all choices.

Are you suggesting that gay people can choose to just... not be gay? Would it reasonable for me to tell you to stop acting on your 'feelings of heterosexuality'? Of course not. This isn't akin to choosing to not have that extra cheeseburger because you're on a diet. Companionship is a fundamental human desire, and to suggest that consenting gay adults not act on their feelings, which would require them to either stay single their entire life, or be incredibly unhappy in a forced heterosexual relationship, is nothing short of ridiculous.

Not suggesting anything, just saying that they have a choice to live that lifestyle or not. That choice has benefits and consequences, just like eating an extra cheeseburger. You may not be able to control wanting a cheeseburger, but you do have a choice if you eat it or not, right?

Not suggesting anything, just saying that they have a choice to live that lifestyle or not. That choice has benefits and consequences, just like eating an extra cheeseburger. You may not be able to control wanting a cheeseburger, but you do have a choice if you eat it or not, right?

The difference is human beings are hard-wired to have sex. We're not hard-wired to eat cheeseburgers.

Oh yeah, people TOTALLY don't choose to be gay. Just ask all the ex-gays. Or were they lying about being gay in the first place? Have fun proving that.

I don't care if people are gay or not - go ahead, be gay. But I think things are a little different if I'm on a team expected to be naked in the locker room in front of a gay dude. How would that be different than me (a straight guy) taking showers with the volleyball squad? Not EVERYONE is going to be comfortable with it, and it DOESN'T make them homophobic.

I have gay friends - they're great people, and I have no problem with their lifestyle, though it seems they're actually more promiscuous than the normal hetero. One time, a gay dude went way past hitting on me, and though I was grossed out, I wasn't upset. I don't believe people are born gay, but at the same time, they just can't seem to help themselves for what ever reason, and I understand that.

I wouldn't care at all if a Husker was gay. Big deal.

The difference is human beings are hard-wired to have sex. We're not hard-wired to eat cheeseburgers.

There are humans that choose to be celibate, right? How can that be if they are "hard-wired" for it?

This gets in to nature vs nurture as discussed before. One thing that is certain, someone can choose if they act on their tendencies or not. I am not saying that is right or wrong, or if those tendencies are natural or a result of experience, but that is a choice.

I'm no lawyer, nor am I a constitutional expert, but here's what I think:

While there isn't a right to play football, there is a right to equal protection under the law. A public institution discriminating against a class of citizens would seem to be denying them the equal protection they're entitled to (in this case, the same access/opportunity as the others). UGA's club, as a private institution, is free to deny membership to folks with last names beginning with 'K', because it has no constitutionally mandated obligation to treat everyone equally. This changes when the club becomes an employer, and, with a few exceptions, cannot discriminate against protected classes, though it's worth noting how appallingly few states prohibit workplace discrimination against gays.

Attempting to deny an otherwise qualified individual from participating would be inviting legal action, and the case to discriminate would appear to be rather weak.

• Fire 1

I don't care if people are gay or not - go ahead, be gay. But I think things are a little different if I'm on a team expected to be naked in the locker room in front of a gay dude. How would that be different than me (a straight guy) taking showers with the volleyball squad? Not EVERYONE is going to be comfortable with it, and it DOESN'T make them homophobic.

Thats what i was trying to say. It's a hard one to answer. Once you do either your anti gay or discriminate or you have just opened a door that will be very hard to get back shut. People like you and me will say well we should get to shower with the girls and are pro toplesss cheerleaders. Then what does the next set of people want? And the next? At what point do you become, closed minded or discriminate or anti-whatever? Why is that fair? What if I am in the group that doesnt get what I want? Do I get to sue because you all got what you wanted but I didnt get showers with chicks or topless cheerleaders?

And that is why so many companies are anti touching, no matter if it's your wife at work or who ever.

• Fire 1

Thats what i was trying to say. It's a hard one to answer. Once you do either your anti gay or discriminate or you have just opened a door that will be very hard to get back shut. People like you and me will say well we should get to shower with the girls and are pro toplesss cheerleaders. Then what does the next set of people want? And the next? At what point do you become, closed minded or discriminate or anti-whatever? Why is that fair? What if I am in the group that doesnt get what I want? Do I get to sue because you all got what you wanted but I didnt get showers with chicks or topless cheerleaders?

And that is why so many companies are anti touching, no matter if it's your wife at work or who ever.

I only have an opinion on this because of what the gay dude did to me - I know for a FACT even if they know you're straight, it won't stop them from acting on their attractions, i.e. - showering with the ladies is the same.

I only have an opinion on this because of what the gay dude did to me - I know for a FACT even if they know you're straight, it won't stop them from acting on their attractions, i.e. - showering with the ladies is the same.

Man dude if you got crap like that to worry about, being around people who cant keep it real, I feel for ya.

First, you take away our pictures of nude women...Now you want us all to be OK with fudgepac.....Nevermind!

Actually..I'm about fixin' to pat myself on the back for how far I've come in my own condition of homophobia..I don't feel strongly enough to actually vote in this thread...but I do know if I did, I probably would have chosen something completely different today than a few years ago...I also don't feel it's enough of my business to vote on this one.

It was always a struggle for me...My parents always stressed treating all races equal...and all genders, even though my Dad dragged my older Sister out of some boy's car by her hair after the boy bent down to turn the dial on the radio...fast forward a dozen years to me..A co-worker followed me home from our after-school job to "try out" her new car, and the closest thing my Dad and I ever had to a "sex talk", was him telling "Dorothy" not to keep me out too late...(it was already after midnight)...There was an unexpected box of trojans in my sock drawer the next weekend.

I met my best buddy my very 1st day at UNL...I was sure he was gay because he was even better looking than me, and he just started talking to me out of the blue as we were waiting in the lunch line at Abel...I tried to be polite..but my natural instinct was "Flight or Fight".

I can only remember touching my Dad one time..I was 17..we were cutting down a tree and the rope threw him to the ground..I helped him up and felt a little electricity flow between our arms...and I thought of that picture by Michalangelo? and God's finger thing..

About three decades ago, I was able to start hugging my Siblings after other family members started dying off..and even my best friend who I can say, "I love you" at the end of phone calls...but I still don't think I can walk down the street holding their hands..unless it's just to piss off that Westborough Babtist? preacher from Kansas..Although my Son is quickly getting me past my hand holding phobias...My Mom even asked me when my Son was born..I don't know if it because she was aware of my homophobia..or that my then Wife's own Bi-Sexual father died of Aids..But she asked me if I'd love my Son any less if He turned out Gay...I guess that was a turning point for me..when I realized..not one iota less.

I'm not even sure why I've pretty much always had a difficult time accepting that lifestyle..They leave more wimmen for me..they help keep down the population...But ...I used to like Elton John and Queen...I didn't throw out all their LP's when they came out of the closet...but now that I think about it...I don't think I ever played them again...(not on purpose..maybe I just liked them a little less subconciously).

Maybe it is the fear of throwing up..it's a real fear, and I usually get squeamish when I see two guys kiss..not sure why two girls going at it almost guaranteed wood..even at an early age.

I'd hope our team could withstand having a gay person on the team...even in the same shower, but I'd still rather he played for Texas so I can still? make fun of them...and not have to be politically correct and defend them.

• Fire 2

I never once said that I do look down on them. I never once said that I am better than them. All I said is their lifestyle choice, I believe, is wrong. I still love them and even enjoy spending time with them.

So you don't look down on them?

Not at all

So if you love them, and you enjoy spending time with them, and you are not better than them, then what about them is comparable to shooting heroin? In what way do you judge them? Negatively, or positively?

Everyone is talking about how it is their life style, who are we to judge. But if this person was choosing to shoot up heroine in there free time I would definetely judge them. I personally do believe that living a homosexual lifestyle is wrong. But it is just as morally wrong as all the guys out there sleeping around with girls. I would still cheer for him and support him as a husker, but would not support his lifestyle.

Comparing a a drug such as heroine, somthing that can kill you, to one's sexual oreintation is way off IMO. It is a choice that someone can make, but we are talking about someone's choice to sleep with a man or a woman. Not to take drugs, and do something illegal.

It is more extreme...but they are both lifestyle choices that are definetely judgeable

I'm judging them by saying that their lifestyle is morally wrong. They have made some poor decisions in their life. I have too, that doesnt make either of us bad people.

What about having sex with men is morally wrong? It seeming strange to you is not a good reason, and neither is pointing to a line in a book. Also, what "poor decisions" are you referring to?

Its not just having sex with men to me. First off, I believe that any sex outside of marriage is morally wrong. It goes against my faith. And because I also believe that marriage is between a man and a women, a man having sex with another man is wrong. It all comes down to my faith. If you don't share my same beliefs, than you will not agree with me.