Is it okay to be a gay college athlete?

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A person's sexuality should have absolutely no bearing on an athlete's opportunity to play a sport or the fan support. If you think any different, then that says a lot about you.

Discrimination is not to be tolerated, ever.

and lmao @ anyone suggesting sexuality is a "choice"

couldn't agree more. People do not choose to be gay.

There's two components to that IMO, do they choose what they are attracted to? Probably not (although some do I'm sure)

Do they choose to act on it? Yes, they could always choose not to act on their feelings.

In the same breath murderers could say they don't have a choice, they have problems so on and so forth. I would agree the feelings are there, but you always have a choice on how you act, always.

Every lifestyle is a choice, sexual orientation, drug use, alcohol use, tobacco use, religion. All life is, is a series of choices. Some may be very difficult or confusing choices, some are no brainers, but they are all choices.

Are you suggesting that gay people can choose to just... not be gay? Would it reasonable for me to tell you to stop acting on your 'feelings of heterosexuality'? Of course not. This isn't akin to choosing to not have that extra cheeseburger because you're on a diet. Companionship is a fundamental human desire, and to suggest that consenting gay adults not act on their feelings, which would require them to either stay single their entire life, or be incredibly unhappy in a forced heterosexual relationship, is nothing short of ridiculous.

Not suggesting anything, just saying that they have a choice to live that lifestyle or not. That choice has benefits and consequences, just like eating an extra cheeseburger. You may not be able to control wanting a cheeseburger, but you do have a choice if you eat it or not, right?

The difference is human beings are hard-wired to have sex. We're not hard-wired to eat cheeseburgers.

There are humans that choose to be celibate, right? How can that be if they are "hard-wired" for it?

This gets in to nature vs nurture as discussed before. One thing that is certain, someone can choose if they act on their tendencies or not. I am not saying that is right or wrong, or if those tendencies are natural or a result of experience, but that is a choice.

Just because some people choose to be celibate doesn't change the fact that sex is a part of our basic instincts. What are you actually arguing here? Are you saying gays should be celibate? Why?

I think it's a very clear point that acting on ones instincts is a choice, plain and simple. Therefore living ANY lifestyle is a choice on the most fundamental levels. You may not be able to control how you feel, but you can control how you act.

Not saying anything other than living that lifestyle (or any lifestyle for that matter) is a choice, and every choice has its benefits and issues associated with it.

Clearly, but where were you going with that line of reasoning exactly?

I think the "homosexual lifestlye" thing is a giant load of crap. You can't tell much about a person's lifestlye by their sexual preference. My sexual preference doesn't define my lifestyle, nor does yours. It's not a person's lifestyle a bigot hates, it's the icky gay sex.

Feelings and actions are different.

People think about killing others, the ones that do it are murderers, the ones that don't, aren't.

People think about taking advantage of really drunk or passed out women, the ones that do it are rapists, the ones that don't aren't.

To be clear, I am not trying to equate those things with sexual orientation, just pointing out that there is a difference between feelings and actions.

For some people, those internal feelings never change about their orientation, I have posted a CDC study that showed between the ages of 18-44, 87% of people who have had same-sex experiences have also had opposite-sex experiences. Greater than 5 of 6 people that identified themselves as "gay" had gone one way or the other. That to me sounds like they are choosing, and changing their minds. How else can you explain it?

I've known a girl for going on 13 years now, she was straight in high school, during the college years she "found" herself and was gay, by time she was 26 she changed her mind back and is now married to a guy and has 2 kids.

That's just one example, but I promise you it's far more common than one side would want you to beleive.

But to be VERY clear, I do not think the government should tolerate discrimination based on sexual orientation even if I disagree with it. I do however think that it would be wrong and unconstitutional to force churches to perform or recognize same-sex unions.

You're absolutely right that gays (and straights) can choose to engage or not engage in a behavior, but it doesn't change the fundamental fact that they're gay or straight. It just means that they're choosing to ignore it. Being attracted to females instead of males is what makes me straight, not the symptom of that attraction (me having sex with females). In the same manner, being attracted to males and not females is what makes gay males gay, not the sex act by-product of those attractions.

Most people know some who experimented when they were young. I've got friends, male and female, that went through phases of experimentation when they were young. Some are now in homosexual relationships, others in heterosexual relationships, and a handful still identify as bisexual. I think that in a culture where straight relationships are normal, it's not at all unexpected that people who experience attractions different from that norm to experiment and explore while they sort things out for themselves. A good friend of mine in college dated and had sex with girls, and even got engaged to a girl he dated for two years. He didn't become gay one day and decide to end his engagement. He had struggled with those feelings since he was a teen because he was raised to believe that being gay was wrong. By dating women, he was just doing what he thought was "supposed" to do, nevermind the fact that he never found his relationships with females to be at all rewarding. I knew him then and I know him now. He was not a happy person when forcing himself to live a life that didn't fit him. He wasn't straight while screwing/dating/planning to marry women. He was gay then, he's gay now. At least now he's happy. My friend isn't unique. Most gay people that I know, male or female, had heterosexual relationships earlier in their lives while coming to terms with their sexual identity.

As for whether churches should be forced to recognize or perform gay marriages, I agree. Personally, I don't think that the government should be involved in "marriage" at all. It should only recognize civil unions with all of the same rights and responsibilities that we currently associate with marriage for any two adults who wish to enter into such a union. If a couple wish to reinforce that union with a church-recognized marriage ceremony that's between them and their church.

• Fire 1
Pretty much. I guess it helps when you have known gay people and what the general idea between them is. I just dont like it when someone says, oh it's because your a homophobe or oh it's against this or that religion. Really I have weighed the situation the best I can and tried to use as little "outside" influence as I could and this is what I think. Like I said we cant all come to the same answer, and I would be way freaked out if we did. I also should have added, besides maybe in prision, (and they say that is not a gay thing anyway), gay dudes are not going to come at you in the shower, but some may have a problem with it anyway. I remember the first time I met my ex brother inalaw and his "friend", I found out they were gay on the ride there, and the stupid cr@p that came out of my mouth. I was a homophobe, now way around it. He knew it and never in 18 years did those two make me uncomfortable, but I am not everyone and am not on a football team and sharing the same activities with them either.

Lincoln has been, for a long time, one of the larger gay communities per capita in America. When I went to UNL it was in the top five or ten (from an article a friend researched for The Rag, no link). There's a sizable gay population here in Nebraska, and it's one of the fastest increasing in the US (#4 in the nation, 71% increase LINK - see Page 4). I would be curious to know if we have gained any recruits based on our LGBT population. I doubt that's something we'll ever know, but it'd be interesting.

Yeah, like I said I dont have any problem with it, as long as it does not bother me. Can I speak for a football team? No. It really boils down to what I was saying about having respect and making others comfortable. Some people get weirded out by a man and a women being overly affectionate in public, and they are not gay, just dont like to see it. So if everyone just kind of relaxes a bit and tries to have respect for the people around them, it works out better for everyone.

I think the "homosexual lifestlye" thing is a giant load of crap. You can't tell much about a person's lifestlye by their sexual preference. My sexual preference doesn't define my lifestyle, nor does yours. It's not a person's lifestyle a bigot hates, it's the icky gay sex.

I dissagree to a certain extent.

I'm probably a bigot, but The icky sex thing is just part of what I hate.

I also hate watching shows like "queer eye for the straight guy" or whatever that show was called, and guys that talk with lisps still bug me most times..the whole "femme" thing bugs me enough that I try to avoid stuff like watching men's figure skating, going to Lady GaGa concerts, or hanging out with interior decorators.

I also hate watching shows like "queer eye for the straight guy" or whatever that show was called, and guys that talk with lisps still bug me most times..the whole "femme" thing bugs me enough that I try to avoid stuff like watching men's figure skating, going to Lady GaGa concerts, or hanging out with interior decorators.

I have a handy tip for you that will save you a lot of aggravation - if there's a show on TV that you don't like, change the channel. This amazingly effective trick will prevent you from ever having to spend another evening watching Queer Eye For The Straight Guy, or any show with a guy who talks with a lisp, or any show containing interior decorators.

It takes practice, and your thumb may get tired at first, but once you get the hang of changing the channel, you'll never have to watch shows you don't like again.

I nominate this thread for "Worst thread of the year"

Worst thread of the year?? Oh man, I'm heartbroken. I was pleased to finally have a thread go over the 100 count. It's hard to do unless you post whore the count up. :dunno

Worst thread of the year?? Oh man, I'm heartbroken. I was pleased to finally have a thread go over the 100 count. It's hard to do unless you post whore the count up. :dunno

Is there some kind of badge of honor you get for having a popular thread? I don't even like to start threads, I'd rather have someone else do it.

For what it's worth, I think this was a fantastic subject for conversation. It's a topic in the news, and it's a subject that will have to be discussed at some point. Someday, some player will come out while they play, whether that's at Nebraska or some other school.

It generally annoys me when people are real life, walking, talking stereotypes too. But to me even if they are, that's a very petty reason to hate someone. What about the gay men who don't fit those stereotypes? I suppose you're cool with them...

Is there some kind of badge of honor you get for having a popular thread? I don't even like to start threads, I'd rather have someone else do it.

For what it's worth, I think this was a fantastic subject for conversation. It's a topic in the news, and it's a subject that will have to be discussed at some point. Someday, some player will come out while they play, whether that's at Nebraska or some other school.

Badge of honor? WTF? Are you trying to start something?

I just try to start threads on relevant topics that catch my interest, or I think might be of interest to others. This wouldn't be much of a message board if nobody started threads.

Badge of honor? WTF? Are you trying to start something?

I just try to start threads on relevant topics that catch my interest, or I think might be of interest to others. This wouldn't be much of a message board if nobody started threads.

Not_Sure_If_Serious.jpg

This nomination isn't based upon the topic of conversation (which is a pretty good one, congrats), but some of the terrible attempts at contributing to its well thought out discussion.