Is it okay to be a gay college athlete?

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can't believe this is even a thread

It's not my idea of the perfect thread, but I'm encouraged to see that the overwhelming majority of respondents have said they have zero problem with this. It's a subject that is likely to come up in college athletics sooner rather than later. While the premise of any of us "being OK" with a gay college athlete is a little silly (who are we to say it's OK or not OK?), the response is, at least, encouraging.

I can't believe this is even a thread

It's not my idea of the perfect thread, but I'm encouraged to see that the overwhelming majority of respondents have said they have zero problem with this. It's a subject that is likely to come up in college athletics sooner rather than later. While the premise of any of us "being OK" with a gay college athlete is a little silly (who are we to say it's OK or not OK?), the response is, at least, encouraging.

That's true, a good outlook. It's still a bit discouraging that some think whether or not someone is gay affects their standing on the team, but we do have quite a generational gap on this board. And I'm not saying I'm right, because like you said, who's to say what's right and wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, here we go...

First off a couple post up someone said they are against gays for religious reasons. But for sake of argument lets just say it's 1 to 45, that would equal 2 to every 100. So tomorrow Nebraksa decides it supports this idea, the next day you lose the Pelini brothers maybe because it's against their religion and they are the 2 out of 100, or there morals or what ever. Are you ok with that? But let's take it one step futher, because this is a slippery slope and go back to boobies, for sake of argument lets say 65% of people are for topless cheerleaders, so we as a society decide thats ok, so they allow it, but it ruins your sell out streak. Are you ok with that? Then what about transvestites? Are you ok with Bo showing up to games dressed like a chick, assuming that atleast 50% or more of society say they are ok with it?

You know the "rules" and "laws" are not written to go by what the majority wants.

If any coach walks away from a position making several hundred thousand up to millions of dollars per year because of the gay players on the team, they're so boneheaded I wouldn't want them coaching here. The fact is that there are, right now, gay players on Nebraska's roster. With 120 kids playing at Nebraska between scholarship players and walk-ons, it's nearly inevitable. Same goes for Iowa, Illinois, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, blah blah blah blah blah. Both Pelini and Ferentz know this, and neither has walked away from his job. Are you OK with the idea of Kirk Ferentz coaching Iowa knowing there are likely gay players on the roster?

Yes, i am not arguing that. The question was should it be made public and open. As I said I am a die hard beleiver in what happens else where is nobody's business. I dont care if KF or BO wants to do pole dances or dress up like a chick in his own house, hell they could be lovers for all I care, but to bring it to practice or a game is a different story.

And that is, in and of itself, the majority oppressing the minority. Gays have a right to however they want to (KF can dress up like a chick in public, even to a practice). The problem is the "supremacists" who go out of their way as to hurt and murder the people (homosexuals, transexuals, bisexuals) who are expressing their first amendment right.

Why does it matter if someone has a problem with gays or not? The beauty of this country is that you are allowed to discriminate against others (not talking about work settings or other similar scenarios) for whatever reason you want while also being able to like just about anything that you want to like for whatever reason. If someone has no problem with gays, great. If someone has a problem, who cares? If they have deep-seeded beliefs why not just let them go with that? Because one or two guys on a message board have a problem with an openly gay Husker won't be grounds for any disciplinary action whatsoever. At the same time, his dislike for that player due to his sexual orientation isn't (or at least shouldn't) rile anyone up to the point that they become upset that someone would think/feel that way. A lot of people dislike Taylor Martinez because he appears to be a smarmy, self-centered jerk. Although many disagree, I don't see the same kind of outcry protecting smarmy, self-centered jerks that I'm seeing here. What's the difference? Respect a person's right to discriminate.

Discriminate? Really? Thats a terrible choice in words. Discriminate is something far worse than judging someone. Discriminating is actually allowing someone not to do something based on their race/religon/sexualoreintation/etc. You can judge all you want, it's going to happen in today's society we all know that. But discriminating? No.

Uhhh, yeah. If I start the UGAHusker social group and decide that nobody with last names starting with a "K" is going to be allowed in, who is can stop me? Nobody. Discrimination in this sense is perfectly legal.

First off, let me get some things straight. Everyone is allowed to have a PREJUDICE-that is a belief about a certain group of people which was learned. But no one (I guess with the exception of private schools, corporations, etc...) is allowed to DISCRIMINATE-that is to act on your prejudices to the point where you are infringing upon the certain group's rights. The person who said that they treat hot women a lot nicer than ugly women isn't necessarily discriminating against those people because he is not infringing upon their right. He's not treating them like he's better than them nor is he preventing them from expressing themselves however they see fit.

And no, there is no innate right to play college football, or any sport for that matter. Playing a sport for a university/pro club is a privilege; it is earned and you have to work hard to earn it. Therefore, coaches can prevent women from playing college football if they decide that another guy is better at said position than the girl.

I never said anything about discriminating being socially acceptable or not. All I said is that people can discriminate, hold prejudices, etc. against anyone, for any reason (again, except in select settings) to whatever extent they wish. If somone has a problem with gays (that you, interestingly enough, only find out due to a message board poll) and you don't how does that affect you?

Full disclosure, I voted for the top option. I could care less if Rex Burkhead gets all "sexy rexy" with Bruno.

I also voted for the top option. However, you are not allowed to discriminate upon someone to the extent that it interferes with their human rights.

All of this said, there are people out there that have reservations about homosexuality and statistically speaking there are probably some on the Husker football team. The fans don't matter in this type of discussion - the players do. Being gay probably won't make him less physical or less determined to win. If the players can deal with it then it should be no problem.

Lastly, and I might be in the minority on this opinion, but I don't think a person's sexuality shouldn't be openly talked about especially if it doesn't fit the norm - like homosexuality. An openly gay player submits himself to all kinds of trouble from teammates and most definitely his opposition. Should it? Absolutely not. But you're kidding yourself if you don't think there are people out there that would have a huge problem with it including opposing players. This is why I said I would have reservations about a player admitting he was gay. I want to protect our players and being even more scrutinized isn't what they deserve, and unfortunately being openly gay would bring a lot of scrutiny in various ways.

So you'd be willing to protect our players all the while stepping over another player's right to express themselves? Majority rules, minority still has rights.

Here's my opinion on the whole thing. Like I said earlier, I voted for the top option. If a player comes out as being gay, great, good for him. That doesn't influence his ability to play the game. The problem with said player coming out of the closet is the reaction of the other players to his coming out of the closet. And you know there are going to be at least a few players who will have a newfound strong dislike of the player because he came out. Should those players beat up, or psychologically torture the homosexual player-THEY should be kicked off the team. Intolerance is completely unacceptable, even if the Bible doesn't condone it.

Speaking of which, I believe there is a line in the Holy Book which says, "Love thy neighbor as thy self." You are to love everyone as you love yourself, wether they are homosexual, bisexual, transexual, black, white, latino, asian, native american, man, woman, boy, girl, etc...you are to love them. The Bible, to me (and I'm going to catch a whole lot of flak for this) is a book of contradictions and often times, people (when using the Bible as a reference) only choose the bits and pieces that fit their argument, when there are countless of contradictions in the Bible.

And here's another thing that I'll probably catch a whole lot of flak for: I don't necessarily think that a child is born a homosexual. To me, there has to be a point in development where a child recognizes that they are more attracted to a member of the same sex. Why that happens or how that happens is a mystery to me as much as it is a mystery to mostly everyone on the planet. Point is, a child learns (which learning by definition is a change of behavior based upon a stimulating event) that they like members of the same sex because they are more stimulated and henceforth, more rewarded (positively reinforced) when they are in another guy (or girls' presence). Likewise, they are less stimulated and maybe even slightly irritated with members of the opposite sex, and therefore want to be removed from them (negative reinforcement). But, all speculation on my part, as much as it is speculation and opinion on yours.

A day will come when society accepts everyone for the people that they are. Today isn't that day, and things won't be different 5 years from now.

• 8 months later...

A day will come when society accepts everyone for the people that they are. Today isn't that day, and things won't be different 5 years from now.

*bump*

Based on the gay thread from this offseason, I'd say the day will never come when society accepts everyone for the people that they are. It wasn't true 3500 years ago in biblical times. It's not true today. And I don't think we'll keep from self destruction long enough for it to come true in the future.

I fall into #2. I'm not crazy about the idea. But in the end it's that person's business. When it finally happens I'm not looking forward to all the negative attention and grief that person will catch for coming out of the closet.

I will stand shoulder to sholder with this young man and as for any biggoted idiot that wants to comes by and act like an a$$hole, well he can deal with me first and quite frankly this old man has been really pissed off for about 2 years and you just don't want to F with me.

T_O_B

Isn't it funny how that seems to be the case more often than not?

Observational Selection

I don't think it's "more often than not" but there are certainly some very visible examples. If I remember correctly several involved a RentBoy website.

I feel pretty bad for those folks. They must really hate themselves.

http://www.ranker.com/list/top-10-anti-gay-activists-caught-being-gay/joanne

This was literally the first link available to click on when I did a search for in the closet, anti-gay, self-hating, homosexuals. It's certainly not 100% accurate but there is an exceedingly large correlation between the most hateful anti-gay rhetoric being spewed and those who spew it lying to themselves and their preference.

• 1 year later...

It's apparently not possible to lock polls, but at the time of this posting the results were:

How would you feel if a current Husker came out of the closet? (votes are private))

• I would unequivocally support him (or her). My fan allegiance wouldn’t be affected by sexual preference whatsoever. (85 votes [76.58%])
  • I would have reservations, but think the person should be allowed to remain a Husker. (15 votes [13.51%])
  • I’m not in favor of openly gay college athletes. I would prefer to see the person leave our program. (8 votes [7.21%])
  • I’m strongly against this. An openly gay Husker should be kicked off the team. (3 votes [2.70%])