Husker Offense Revealed?

I was looking over some of the spring practice videos and I noticed that Taylor Martinez said that the new offense is like what he ran in high school

source: Martinez discusses rumors, new offense In the first 18 seconds

I did a quick search on youtube and found a number of videos of his high school offense.

source:

source:

source:

In summary I think that Taylor let it slip a bit on the offense because looking at those youtube videos I recognize several passing routes from our 2011 Spring Practice videos. This type of offense would allow us to keep him healthy longer being that he wouldn't be running the ball as much. What do you think?

JiminIowa

If it means moving the chains consistently and not relying on a 70 yard TD run then me likey....

Well, I can see several advantages to this.

- This formation has one running back in it and we have one returning back in Rex.

- The staff moved Turner to receiver to get more speeed on the field. I can see needing more speed if this is our offense.

- Bo said recently that if we were to have a game today, Martinez would be the starter. Well, since he already knows the offense I would think so.

- We can still run the option and zone read out of this formation. The staff showed us in the spring game that they are still running that.

- This offense would make us much more balanced and really spread things out for Rex and Taylor to run.

- Also, we have heard that the new offense is no huddle, hurry up. This would be exactly that.

- I also think that this fits right into what OC Tim Beck did in the passing game at Kansas. Looks about the same to me.

I don't know for sure what we will be running come fall, only the players and coaches know. However, this is my best guess and it seems to line up logically.

JiminIowa

I took that w/ a grain of salt when I heard it. If any college team on the level of Nebraska used a HS offense, I'm not sure we'd have a lot of success. Maybe 10% of our offense encompasses what he ran in HS, but the other 90% and 300 plays make up chapters 2-13 in the playbook. Usually HS offenses revolve around a halful of formations. I don't think "multiple" really describes any HS offense I've seen play. Plenty of HS's run the spread - but a HS spread != Oklahoma's spread.

If I were going to look at an offense . . .I would go back to Beck's high school coaching days and sprinkle in some of Nevada and about 1/2 - 3/4 of the offense we ran the first half of the year. At least the formations will look the same but the technique will be different. I've stated it before but the biggest change is with the receivers and this will actually help the QB no matter who it ends up being (Had some good talks earlier this week about what will most likely happen in fall camp). Receivers can determine routes based on coverage and use which technique they feel most comfortable with to get open. Its been kind of shocking with the guys as they were used to pretty forced patterns and even told what they were supposed to do to try and get open even if didn't make sense based on personnel on the field.

The oline will also change (eventually) as guys will need to be more mobile and aggressive. That's why Cotton shot up the depth chart. He can move his feet. I could see a couple of guys moving spots as they aren't a quick on their feet or as strong as they need to be.

I have a couple stories I can't tell about offensive coaches conversations with some players that aren't really made for the internet this time but as season gets closer I'll be able to share one or two of them. There's also some interesting comments made about the QB spot but make no mistake its TMarts and they're very confident in his abilities. They want the fans to give him a chance and they plan to. Don't discount BC but he's got to learn some things "not to do" and once he does that he'll really push for the starter's spot. But that kid is a winner according to several people. No matter who's the QB the next couple of years they aren't going to have a very long lease to make mistakes or find themselves if they are struggling. Beck thinks we have as many as 4 guys who can win us a lot of games.

• Fire 1

The offense can have as many formations and play-makers it wants, the O-Line still needs to produce to make this a dangerous team. Hopefully something will "turn on" for this group this fall to be a scary foundation for whatever offense we run in the Big 10.

If I were going to look at an offense . . .I would go back to Beck's high school coaching days and sprinkle in some of Nevada and about 1/2 - 3/4 of the offense we ran the first half of the year. At least the formations will look the same but the technique will be different. I've stated it before but the biggest change is with the receivers and this will actually help the QB no matter who it ends up being (Had some good talks earlier this week about what will most likely happen in fall camp). Receivers can determine routes based on coverage and use which technique they feel most comfortable with to get open. Its been kind of shocking with the guys as they were used to pretty forced patterns and even told what they were supposed to do to try and get open even if didn't make sense based on personnel on the field.

The oline will also change (eventually) as guys will need to be more mobile and aggressive. That's why Cotton shot up the depth chart. He can move his feet. I could see a couple of guys moving spots as they aren't a quick on their feet or as strong as they need to be.

I have a couple stories I can't tell about offensive coaches conversations with some players that aren't really made for the internet this time but as season gets closer I'll be able to share one or two of them. There's also some interesting comments made about the QB spot but make no mistake its TMarts and they're very confident in his abilities. They want the fans to give him a chance and they plan to. Don't discount BC but he's got to learn some things "not to do" and once he does that he'll really push for the starter's spot. But that kid is a winner according to several people. No matter who's the QB the next couple of years they aren't going to have a very long lease to make mistakes or find themselves if they are struggling. Beck thinks we have as many as 4 guys who can win us a lot of games.

for the most part this is very very accurate from what i know as well.

The offense can have as many formations and play-makers it wants, the O-Line still needs to produce to make this a dangerous team. Hopefully something will "turn on" for this group this fall to be a scary foundation for whatever offense we run in the Big 10.

It should be better this year but not back to where it needs to be. Last year we changed recruiting philosophies on the type of player. Before we were trying to get big boys who could basically pop up fast and zone/pass block. If you look at the guys we brought in and the guys we're after they may not be the largest but they're very mobile and will be more aggressive. We'll be the ones to make contact with the defense and on more than just the first level. We're looking at the wrestler type of guys with good feet instead of the basketball type of guys with good feet. This Klanko ??sp kid is a good example.

One of my fishing buddies is a former all big 8 center and he just beats his head against the wall watching the kids block. He said the technique is poor, the guys play soft contact and they don't stay with their guys long enough. They rarely finish a play. They are done well before the whistle. He's sure that will change with Garrison.

change with Garrison? But Garrison was already here last year, wasn't he? Perhaps the new responsibilities will let him exert more influence over the group, but it's hard to imagine a night-and-day difference there...

Garrison was added this off season along with Raymond, Els and Fisher.

change with Garrison? But Garrison was already here last year, wasn't he? Perhaps the new responsibilities will let him exert more influence over the group, but it's hard to imagine a night-and-day difference there...

sort of. Garrison was already working with the coaching staff as an intern and has been since pelini has been here.

GA's and interns are limited in their roles and most are mostly responsible for film work. Garrison actually did very little with the line as far as actual coaching before. He's certainly impressing people with his work now including his recruiting. To quote JP at a dinner a week or so in Texas "Watch Garrison. He's going to embarrass the rest of us." Beck, JP and Bo have more than once commented on what a great coach he's going to be. The guy gets it.

sort of. Garrison was already working with the coaching staff as an intern and has been since pelini has been here.

Garrison is now an actual assistant, which is more or less what I was getting at. He now has a far more significant impact on the players than he did previously.