Tressels Resignation - Good for Nebraska?

Ohio State self reported. As soon as Ohio State found out that Tressel didn't disclose those emails, they reported it. I'm not glossing over anything. Ohio State found those emails looking for expansion stuff, and reported it.

I get that. That's like telling the FBI you robbed a bank. You still did the crime. Turning yourself in doesn't absolve that.

Further, OSU "self-reported" false and/or inaccurate information in their first report, then followed that months later with a more full disclosure. You don't get bonus points for self-reporting false information.

I keep hearing this "we self-reported" mantra as if it somehow washes this situation away. It doesn't, and that's why Tressel resigned. OSU is still facing significant penalties after Tressel resigned, and LOIC is still on the table. There are reasons to believe that OSU's sanctions will exceed the penalty USC just received.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6637444

COLUMBUS -- Terrelle Pryor, who announced through his attorney Tuesday that he would bypass his senior season at Ohio State, made thousands of dollars autographing memorabilia in 2009-10, a former friend who says he witnessed the transactions has told "Outside the Lines."

The signings for cash, which would be a violation of NCAA rules, occurred a minimum of 35 to 40 times, netting Pryor anywhere from $20,000 to $40,000 that year, the former friend says. The source spoke to ESPN under the condition that his face not be aired on TV and that his name not be published.

On Tuesday, he denied that he ever received game tickets from players, though records from Ohio State show that he and his wife were on a player's will-call ticket list multiple times throughout the 2008 season. When asked about those records, Talbott said he couldn't remember if he had received such tickets.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/exclusive-ncaa-discovers-checks-to-pryor-29745

The NCAA violations were discovered when the name of the local memorabilia dealer, Dennis Talbott, was seen on checks Pryor was depositing in his personal bank account...

...Midway through the 2010 football season, Talbott was ordered by Ohio State officials to completely disassociate himself from the program. That move by the OSU athletic administration may indicate that members of the school’s athletic department knew of Pryor’s activities involving Talbott long before the NCAA recently discovered the payment paper trail from Talbott to the former Buckeye quarterback.

They may even get a LOIC rap and somewhere around USC level sanctions depending on how they handle cooperating with investigations. What's more likely though IM(non-expert)O is more players losing eligibility if they were involved along with probation, scholarship reductions, vacated wins, etc on the University side for not self reporting and playing ineligible players...

I was wrong. It's going to be worse then USC, much worse.

Also by the time they reported anything it was too little too late. Tressel resigning doesn't make him not associated with the Athletic Department when this took place, it was his job to report violations to compliance and the NCAA as well.

You know all this came to light due to self reporting right? Including the emails Tressel didn't forward. They self reported those after discovering them when looking into expansion.

So I'd say they have been cooperating quite fully with the NCAA

You mean aside from the part where Tressel intentionally covered up those emails for several months, right? Tressel didn't resign because he's been cooperating quite fully with the NCAA. Let's not gloss this over too much.

Ohio State self reported. As soon as Ohio State found out that Tressel didn't disclose those emails, they reported it. I'm not glossing over anything. Ohio State found those emails looking for expansion stuff, and reported it.

Dude, get it together. Ohio State has been "self-reporting" all of these scandals pretty much at the exact same time that the news has been breaking. They've only acted when they've been backed into the corner by the media and the NCAA and had their hand forced.

You're a great, loyal fan, but it's ok right now to be absolutely outraged at how Ohio State has handled this situation. You don't have to stop being a fan, it's still Ohio State, it'll be a dominant football program over the next 50 years - it's just going to take a hit for the next few years. You guys shouldn't be trying to defend the athletic department or the university right now, you should be asking how the hell it happened, why the hell it happened, and how do you keep it from happening again. Hubris seems to be what got the school into this mess, it's not going to get you out of it.

• Fire 4

You know all this came to light due to self reporting right? Including the emails Tressel didn't forward. They self reported those after discovering them when looking into expansion.

So I'd say they have been cooperating quite fully with the NCAA

You mean aside from the part where Tressel intentionally covered up those emails for several months, right? Tressel didn't resign because he's been cooperating quite fully with the NCAA. Let's not gloss this over too much.

Dude, get it together. Ohio State has been "self-reporting" all of these scandals pretty much at the exact same time that the news has been breaking. They've only acted when they've been backed into the corner by the media and the NCAA and had their hand forced.

You're a great, loyal fan, but it's ok right now to be absolutely outraged at how Ohio State has handled this situation. You don't have to stop being a fan, it's still Ohio State, it'll be a dominant football program over the next 50 years - it's just going to take a hit for the next few years. You guys shouldn't be trying to defend the athletic department or the university right now, you should be asking how the hell it happened, why the hell it happened, and how do you keep it from happening again. Hubris seems to be what got the school into this mess, it's not going to get you out of it.

+1. Outstanding post.

Self-reporting when the NCAA is days away from finding out anyways is not exactly commendable. That's a cover up until the cover is lost.

I thought this was a good rundown of the difficulty facing OSU right now. From an Arkansas Razorback fan posting on BP:

Things are looking exceedingly grim.

1. Head Coach resigned

2. Star QB quits team

3. Multiple players serving multiple game suspensions

4. Interim Head Coach who has no Head Coach experience

5. New conference alignment

6. Remaining team in disarray/disharmony/distraction?

And the 900 lb gorilla in the room:

7. Ongoing and ever-expanding NCAA investigation that includes a lot of very serious allegations that are looking more and more like LOIC - an investigation that could go on for much longer and go much deeper that what anyone has been expecting up to this point.

If the allegations about Pryor signing memorabilia for cash are true - and at this point it certainly seems credible given all we know - this is getting into USC territory. Add to all that, that the NCAA is trying to flex it's muscle and clean up its reputation and it all adds up to OSU being in deep, deep doodoo.

I'm going to take some rep hits for this, but this is my perspective on the situation.

It appears that there is something very rotten at the core of the OSU football program - or I should say was something rotten at the core of the OSU football program...

The relationship between Jim Tressel and Terrelle Pryor looks to me as if it has been dysfunctional from the beginning. A coach who perhaps bent his principles a little too far and a little too often in deference of an athlete with a once-in-a-lifetime potential - an athlete who has perhaps proven himself to be a selfish and immature kid without regard for his school, his teammates or the coach who bent over backwards to accommodate his talent.

And the hell of it is, is that the Pryor/Tressel relationship issues have not only prematurely ended Tressel's career, but have put Pryor's career in deep jeopardy as well. He doesn't have a natural position in the NFL, and all of these 'character issues' will have a real impact on his NFL opportunities.

It's a f'd up mess is what it is.

Hate it for y'all.

I get that. That's like telling the FBI you robbed a bank. You still did the crime. Turning yourself in doesn't absolve that.

Further, OSU "self-reported" false and/or inaccurate information in their first report, then followed that months later with a more full disclosure. You don't get bonus points for self-reporting false information.

I keep hearing this "we self-reported" mantra as if it somehow washes this situation away. It doesn't, and that's why Tressel resigned. OSU is still facing significant penalties after Tressel resigned, and LOIC is still on the table. There are reasons to believe that OSU's sanctions will exceed the penalty USC just received.

It doesn't wash it away, they're still going to get in trouble for it. But he mentioned they're not cooperating. And if they're still not cooperating then the entire athletic department needs to disappear because they're idiots. At this point, you tell all and just take it and hope you can become relevant again (being where they are and who they are, it shouldn't be that hard to do again)

I refuse to believe they aren't cooperating just due to the fact I refuse to believe someone making more money than me is that stupid.

I refuse to believe they aren't cooperating just due to the fact I refuse to believe someone making more money than me is that stupid.

I don't even have to point out the fallacy of this. You know what's going on.

It'll get better. It sucks now, and it'll suck for a while, but you're still Ohio State. Nothing is going to change that.

Listen Coqui, you're a good poster and undoubtedly a good fan but it's time to start calling this situation what it is: a monumental cluster@#$%/cheating scandal that OSU either knew of or was willfully ignorant of. It gets deeper every day.

Worse than USC

The website SportsByBrooks reported that the NCAA enforcement staff has discovered “dozens of payments [quarterback Terrelle] Pryor received in past years from a Columbus sports memorabilia dealer. … the NCAA violations were discovered when the name of the local memorabilia dealer, Dennis Talbott, was seen on checks Pryor was depositing in his personal bank account.”

***snip***

If there are deposited checks from a memorabilia dealer in Pryor’s account, then the school should have found them in December. There is simply no excuse for not uncovering them. This isn’t a hundred-dollar handshake in a back alley somewhere. It’s all there in black and white. All they had to do was look at the statements.

***snip***

For Ohio State, it was another form of the cover-up Tressel started nine months prior. This is college sports’ highest-paid AD (Smith), highest-paid president (Gee) and arguably most-powerful person (Delany), millionaires one and all, making a mockery of the very NCAA statutes and procedures they create, enforce and claim to hold dear.

Listen Coqui, you're a good poster and undoubtedly a good fan but it's time to start calling this situation what it is: a monumental cluster@#$%/cheating scandal that OSU either knew of or was willfully ignorant of. It gets deeper every day.

Worse than USC

The website SportsByBrooks reported that the NCAA enforcement staff has discovered “dozens of payments [quarterback Terrelle] Pryor received in past years from a Columbus sports memorabilia dealer. … the NCAA violations were discovered when the name of the local memorabilia dealer, Dennis Talbott, was seen on checks Pryor was depositing in his personal bank account.”

***snip***

If there are deposited checks from a memorabilia dealer in Pryor’s account, then the school should have found them in December. There is simply no excuse for not uncovering them. This isn’t a hundred-dollar handshake in a back alley somewhere. It’s all there in black and white. All they had to do was look at the statements.

***snip***

For Ohio State, it was another form of the cover-up Tressel started nine months prior. This is college sports’ highest-paid AD (Smith), highest-paid president (Gee) and arguably most-powerful person (Delany), millionaires one and all, making a mockery of the very NCAA statutes and procedures they create, enforce and claim to hold dear.

You realize my post was made after that article was published. Meaning after that article, there's nothing left they should be trying to hide. Just grin, bend over, and take it. Get it over with. I refuse to believe, they still think they have a chance of hiding something. That's what I meant.

Worse than USC

***snip***

***snip***

You realize my post was made after that article was published. Meaning after that article, there's nothing left they should be trying to hide. Just grin, bend over, and take it. Get it over with. I refuse to believe, they still think they have a chance of hiding something. That's what I meant.

Haven't you said similar . . . in this very thread? We keep hearing new allegations and you keep saying some variation of "well that's all there is!"

Worse than USC

***snip***

***snip***

Haven't you said similar . . . in this very thread? We keep hearing new allegations and you keep saying some variation of "well that's all there is!"

No, what I have been saying was that all the stuff mentioned was already reported tot he NCAA back in December. This whole pay for autographs with Pryor was the first thing new (that I know of) that hadn't been reported a while back. The story about the additional 9 players , while also new, had so many holes put through it, it's tough to believe that article (naming specifically those players and specifically what they did) But the article on Pryor, that's what made me think it's time to just stop it all and get it over with. There's still a chance that article is false or misinformed, but we're talking below 1% chance IMO.