Tressels Resignation - Good for Nebraska?

At the end of the day, Tressel's jackassery is going to hurt us more than help us. Not only is he not going to be on the sidelines, but neither will some of his best players. We're going to get the leftovers, which are probably pretty good, but not as good as the real deal.

So Mr. Tressel, nice job douchebag...

So, do you think an invite to the DBHOF is in order.

Easy with your inductees...

He shoulda walked down the goddamned hall and told somebody then....

He's not a rat

I am having fun with you, but you obviously realize we are certainly going to have diffident views on this one

Obviously, but there are times when you should not be afraid to sit down and rationally think things out. That was a "what in the hell are you thinkin' about" moment...

I hope he's got Solich's number, maybe he can get on there as a RB coach or something....

I doubt he's going to coach anymore. Not because he can't get a job, but because most assumed he was going to retire from Ohio State at the end of his contract anyways.

You know this could turn out like SMU or like USC we dont know but didnt SMU get the death penlity for paying its player or something like that? That would be harsh as hell if they got that but it wouldnt suprise me at all with the way the NCAA operates

It won't be the death penalty. That's for repeat violators. OSU hasn't been found guilty yet . . . let alone found guilty and then guilty again. The sanctions will be severe, but not death penalty severe. It's not because the NCAA is being lenient with OSU . . . it's because the death penalty doesn't apply here.

You know this could turn out like SMU or like USC we dont know but didnt SMU get the death penlity for paying its player or something like that? That would be harsh as hell if they got that but it wouldnt suprise me at all with the way the NCAA operates

It won't be the death penalty. That's for repeat violators. OSU hasn't been found guilty yet . . . let alone found guilty and then guilty again. The sanctions will be severe, but not death penalty severe. It's not because the NCAA is being lenient with OSU . . . it's because the death penalty doesn't apply here.

Why did it apply to SMU i dont know the whole story i know espn did a 30 for 30 on it but i am for sure could u help clear it up for me?

Why did it apply to SMU i dont know the whole story i know espn did a 30 for 30 on it but i am for sure could u help clear it up for me?

SMU got caught paying players. The NCAA sanctioned them and enacted a rule that said that if they got caught paying players again they would receive the death penalty. SMU was promptly caught paying players again. The NCAA had no choice but to drop the hammer.

SMU got caught paying players. The NCAA sanctioned them and enacted a rule that said that if they got caught paying players again they would receive the death penalty. SMU was promptly caught paying players again. The NCAA had no choice but to drop the hammer.

Thanks for the info carlfense i was not for sure. It was a real big deal back then could you imagine what that would be like for todays college football or any other sport for that matter

For as bumbling a mess as the allegations against tOSU and its players have been its important to keep some perspective here. If what has been coming out was true tOSU is culpable for sure for the violations in the first place and then some added because Tressel didn't self report when he found out. They may even get a LOIC rap and somewhere around USC level sanctions depending on how they handle cooperating with investigations. What's more likely though IM(non-expert)O is more players losing eligibility if they were involved along with probation, scholarship reductions, vacated wins, etc on the University side for not self reporting and playing ineligible players... assuming nothing else comes about with cars and other extra benefits or as of yet unsubstantiated point shaving rumors and no other team was doing similar things.

It's slightly different then the USC case in that while it involved more players, it was only one sport that we know of. Whereas USC had Mayo and Bush and both were alleged to have received money from agents. Mayo's case even had runners receive money from coaches along with both having a laundry list of extra benefits from flights and hotel stays to clothes.

It's way, way different then the SMU case, as said above. SMU was paying players, actually funneling the money through the Athletic Department. They got caught, sanctioned and put on probation, yet they continued to do it and promptly got caught again. Theirs was a case where the administration was basically running a professional team. The governor, president of the unversity, AD, and coaches knew they were violating as well as setting up and running the system, recruiting the boosters, and making the payments. Big big difference.

So the death penalty wasn't/isn't really on the table for those (USC and tOSU) cases. Even with the NCAA coming out this spring saying it wanted to get tougher on violators.

It will get a little more complicated if anything actually ever does come of the allegations about Auburn. Especially since they have already had 2 or 3 pay for play infractions since the 80s and had the same booster (who was actually also on their board of trustees until the Alabama senate blocked his appointment last month) allegedly running the program behind the scenes for the last 30 years.

In all the cases it really depends on how deep they can follow the allegations to find proof.

For as bumbling a mess as the allegations against tOSU and its players have been its important to keep some perspective here. If what has been coming out was true tOSU is culpable for sure for the violations in the first place and then some added because Tressel didn't self report when he found out. They may even get a LOIC rap and somewhere around USC level sanctions depending on how they handle cooperating with investigations. What's more likely though IM(non-expert)O is more players losing eligibility if they were involved along with probation, scholarship reductions, vacated wins, etc on the University side for not self reporting and playing ineligible players... assuming nothing else comes about with cars and other extra benefits or as of yet unsubstantiated point shaving rumors and no other team was doing similar things.

You know all this came to light due to self reporting right? Including the emails Tressel didn't forward. They self reported those after discovering them when looking into expansion.

So I'd say they have been cooperating quite fully with the NCAA

You know all this came to light due to self reporting right? Including the emails Tressel didn't forward. They self reported those after discovering them when looking into expansion.

You mean aside from the part where Tressel intentionally covered up those emails for several months, right? Tressel didn't resign because he's been cooperating quite fully with the NCAA. Let's not gloss this over too much.

You mean aside from the part where Tressel intentionally covered up those emails for several months, right? Tressel didn't resign because he's been cooperating quite fully with the NCAA. Let's not gloss this over too much.

Ohio State self reported. As soon as Ohio State found out that Tressel didn't disclose those emails, they reported it. I'm not glossing over anything. Ohio State found those emails looking for expansion stuff, and reported it.