Phil Steele: #12 Nebraska

i just can't see Okafor playing a down.....you never know though with Beck.

True, however I think Abdullah and Heard have too much potential for them to not benefit from a redshirt (at least one of them). Heard's been out of football for awhile and I've heard on more than one occasion that Abdullah has some hurdles to clear physically. Whether that'll be the case in the fall I have no idea.

I think our depth will probably be Burkhead, Green and Jones.

A trio of Nebraska football players were recognized, as Phil Steele released his 2011 preseason All-America team. The list includes a pair of first teamers in defensive tackle Jared Crick and cornerback Alfonzo Dennard along with linebacker Lavonte David, who was a second-team honoree.

Crick anchored a Husker defensive line which helped Nebraska rank in the top 12 nationally in scoring defense and total defense in 2010. He totaled 70 tackles, including 36 solo stops, and had 9.5 sacks and 17 tackles for loss to rank second in the Big 12.

Dennard played alongside Thorpe Award finalist Prince Amukamara in a talented Husker secondary that helped the Huskers rank in the top five nationally in pass efficiency defense and passing yards allowed. He totaled 30 tackles, four interceptions and seven pass breakups for the Big 12 North Division Champions.

David, a first-team All-Big 12 pick and league's newcomer of the year, broke a school record with 152 tackles to set a single-season school record. He ranked 11th nationally in tackles per game and was second on the team in sacks (six), tackles for loss (15 for 60 yards) and pass breakups.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=205157598

Maybe long-time Phil Steele fans can help me out, but why does he go back so far in setting up his predictions? His discussion of our running backs next year began by looking at not just Roy Helu's stats from last year, but by discussing Marlon Lucky's stats from 2007 and 2008. WTF?

Also, I loved his starting three WRs: Kinnie, Turner, and Bell. Add in Reed, and that's a lot of speed at the receiving position! On the defensive side, I thought it was interesting he has Cassidy listed as the starting SS.

On paper our WR corps looks pretty scary. Going by recent history, it's not so scary. If we simply have a return to the Swift/Peterson/Purify level of receiving I'll be happy. I don't expect Air Coryell suddenly at Nebraska.

And I'm also terribly concerned about the other end of those passes. Martinez has GOT to stop throwing off his back foot. zoogies said Marty was going to work with a throwing coach back home during the summer break. Let's hope this is true, and that some progress can be made. We could have the greatest receiving corps in the history of college football, but if our QB can't get them the ball it won't do us any good.

I have optimism about our passing game this year, but..... you know?