Could YOU cause NU to get ncaa sanctions?

Hypothetical: Could YOU cause NU to get ncaa sanctions?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Very surprised to see the "fans" that would do this.

wow you have to be kidding. hypothetical situation, considering in the situation we're suppose to be drunk. However, I'd pry take it even if I were sober. 20 bucks?! hell yea, I look out for numero uno. That jersey later on is worth way more than 20 bucks.

Its not the fans job to follow the NCAA rules either. I mean maybe i should play counselor, but who am i kidding...

Ya, ya learn alot about a persons world view, ethics, morality. To me, it would be a better world if we considered others as more important then ourselves. Secondly, what a shame for the fans, players and university who will suffer for the $20 memorabilia you might make $2k on ... while a university recovers from sanctions.

Question: When I was in college, I shared an apartment with the starting LG.... let's say that "hypothetically", I let him use my car to get to practice, or maybe I happen to buy the beer or pizza many times..... in this "hypothetical" scenario, would I be putting the university in jeopardy?

Probably not. I think the overwhelming issues is universities, fans and agents giving improper benefits to players. A college roommate paying for pizza and letting him borrow a car for practice would probably be seen as a non-issue.

Question: When I was in college, I shared an apartment with the starting LG.... let's say that "hypothetically", I let him use my car to get to practice, or maybe I happen to buy the beer or pizza many times..... in this "hypothetical" scenario, would I be putting the university in jeopardy?

Probably not. I think the overwhelming issues is universities, fans and agents giving improper benefits to players. A college roommate paying for pizza and letting him borrow a car for practice would probably be seen as a non-issue.

But didn't Eric Crouch get into some BS similar to this for taking a sandwich for free? I would think that as well is a non issue. But obviously the NCAA seems to think he benefited from it, so wouldn't this LG also benefit from being bought pizza and using someone's vehicle which in turn that someone paid for the gas he used?

I am assuming that most people "would" jump at the chance to buy this "hypothetical" jersey. I also believe that almost everyone of those people wouldn't even think about the possible consequences or that it was even a violation. Many fans are not well versed on every "Little" violation (including me)......... Now, if I truly knew that it was a violation, there would be NO WAY that I would risk putting the University of Nebraska, my alma matar, it jeopardy, but in most cases, we would all jump at little stuff like that.

The answer is "maybe," which goes to show precisely why the NCAA is so ridiculous. They've made just about everything a violation to the point that it is all so artificial and unrealistic.

Instead of making a few egregious things a violation and concentrating on enforcing those, they've made just about everything a violation and cannot possibly hope to enforce most of it. Trouble is, that approach cultivates an environment where rule-breaking is seen as harmless and inevitable, and you end up missing out on the things that are really important.

But didn't Eric Crouch get into some BS similar to this for taking a sandwich for free? I would think that as well is a non issue. But obviously the NCAA seems to think he benefited from it, so wouldn't this LG also benefit from being bought pizza and using someone's vehicle which in turn that someone paid for the gas he used?

The free sandwich was provided by different means, so I don't see the two as well related. One situation involves free food, the other involves free car/food from a roommate. Most people share a lot of things with their roommates. I cook food for my roommates sometimes and don't ask for money, because they do something to make up for it at some point. There's no way to prove the LG didn't at any one point. That said...(scroll down to next part)

I am assuming that most people "would" jump at the chance to buy this "hypothetical" jersey. I also believe that almost everyone of those people wouldn't even think about the possible consequences or that it was even a violation. Many fans are not well versed on every "Little" violation (including me)......... Now, if I truly knew that it was a violation, there would be NO WAY that I would risk putting the University of Nebraska, my alma matar, it jeopardy, but in most cases, we would all jump at little stuff like that.

The answer is "maybe," which goes to show precisely why the NCAA is so ridiculous. They've made just about everything a violation to the point that it is all so artificial and unrealistic.

Instead of making a few egregious things a violation and concentrating on enforcing those, they've made just about everything a violation and cannot possibly hope to enforce most of it. Trouble is, that approach cultivates an environment where rule-breaking is seen as harmless and inevitable, and you end up missing out on the things that are really important.

This is a very good point. I don't know how the NCAA would adjust their rules, but something does need to be rectified. The fact that you must question almost every move with an athlete means the rules are bonkers. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with offering a football player a free sandwich at a restaurant every now and then, nor do I see anything wrong with a left guard borrowing a roommate's car to get to practice.

That said, I do have problems with things like players selling university provided memorabilia (that they didn't technically pay for) in order to profit from it - i.e. selling game worn pants for profit. And even though people might find issue with the university making thousands off of Suh's 300th sellout uniform, Suh still didn't pay for it himself. It was a university provided outfit and I don't think a player has the right to sell it.

Here's a question - if a player buys a jersey from the Husker store, signs it and then sells it, is that a problem? I'm sure somebody would find a problem with it, even though the player paid for it.

Regardless, the NCAA sees them as a monetary asset that they won't sole possession of. Even if they rectify the rules, someone will find a loop hole and piss of the NCAA and then they'll add another rule to the book. I think it will always be a vicious cycle because something I might find wrong, someone else might not.

This is a very good point. I don't know how the NCAA would adjust their rules, but something does need to be rectified. The fact that you must question almost every move with an athlete means the rules are bonkers. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with offering a football player a free sandwich at a restaurant every now and then, nor do I see anything wrong with a left guard borrowing a roommate's car to get to practice.

That said, I do have problems with things like players selling university provided memorabilia (that they didn't technically pay for) in order to profit from it - i.e. selling game worn pants for profit. And even though people might find issue with the university making thousands off of Suh's 300th sellout uniform, Suh still didn't pay for it himself. It was a university provided outfit and I don't think a player has the right to sell it.

Here's a question - if a player buys a jersey from the Husker store, signs it and then sells it, is that a problem? I'm sure somebody would find a problem with it, even though the player paid for it.

Regardless, the NCAA sees them as a monetary asset that they won't sole possession of. Even if they rectify the rules, someone will find a loop hole and piss of the NCAA and then they'll add another rule to the book. I think it will always be a vicious cycle because something I might find wrong, someone else might not.

psst - come to our school and we will give your ROOMMATE a sweet sports car. *wink wink, nudge nudge* Nothing in the rules against you borrowing "his" car for the weekend right?

Lets see. Would I potentially ruin my favorite football program, my reason for existence in the fall, my stress reliever, the epitomy of the pride of my state to fulfill my own selfish greed?

F NO I WOULDN'T!

Good barometer of the new era we live in. Jesus... Fueled by selfishness and greed. I used to believe the song when they sang "There is no place like Nebraska." That was a different time I guess. My how "Progress" changes things.

• Fire 1

But the thing is, I'd be real sneaky about taking the jersey. “Hey Ndamukong, I found this $20 on the ground just now. Is it yours? Oh, and if you're throwing that old jersey away I'll take it to a trash can for you.” Then I'd put it under my hoodie, scurry to my car, and vamoose. I'd never sell it. It would be locked away in my man cave. In fact, I might put a clause in my will stating that after I die I want to be buried wearing the jersey. Underneath my burial suit, of course, for discretion. The way I see it, my way may actually pose a lesser threat of NU incurring sanctions. Maybe the next guy who came along in the deserted parking lot would not be so secretive about it. Or he could be an ncaa spy. Or an angry Ohio State fan.

The free sandwich was provided by different means, so I don't see the two as well related. One situation involves free food, the other involves free car/food from a roommate. Most people share a lot of things with their roommates. I cook food for my roommates sometimes and don't ask for money, because they do something to make up for it at some point. There's no way to prove the LG didn't at any one point. That said...(scroll down to next part)

If the players sells the shirt for the same amount or less there is no problem. It's when the player is using his fame or his status as a athlete to make money that a normal person couldnt.

Me . . . personally . . . I don't have any desire for Nebraska memorabilia of this type. I follow the Huskers as much as anyone I know but I just don't get the jersey/autograph/framed sports illustrated thing. I'd like a few old black and white photos to hang in my bar area . . . but I don't want a Husker shrine. Just my opinion.

So no. I wouldn't cause NU to get sanctioned.

I think the "improper benefits" rule comes in when athletes receive things that other students do not on account of their stature as athletes. That said any college roommate (should say most, some are a$$hole$ about sharing) would allow their roommate to borrow their car and share a 12 pack and pizza with them. In that scenario the athlete is not receiving a benefit on account of his status as an athlete at Nebraska, but rather because he is your roommate. I do not know about the Eric Crouch thing, but if it was him going into a sandwich shop and someone bought him a free sandwich then he most likely got it because of his status as Eric Crouch, quarterback of Nebraska, had his roommate bought him a sandwich because Eric paid a little extra for the electric bill the last month I would say non-issue.

Long story short; from what I can tell about the very obscure "improper benefits" rule is determined if you received the goods on account of you status as an amateur athlete. You helping you roommate out would not fall into that category unless of course you went out of your way to share an apartment with said athlete just so you could provide him with benefits (I don't see that fitting into your "hypothetical").