Former Huskers coach high on Paul

But bus-tossing aside, I think he's right about Paul's talent - and that he wasn't necessarily used as much as he could have been. I think the praise about Paul in other areas was coachspeak, an attempt to defuse the negativity and the perception that he's a bit of a headcase. That could go either way; it is hard to tell. But as I'm sure many of you would agree, why in the world would we not hope the best to be true for any of our players? Are we going to believe the unsupported rumors of him being more into the party scene than football, or his position coach's accounts of how seriously he took the game and took responsibility for his mistakes on and off the field?

It is time to take this official report and shelve all the ridiculous anti-Niles sentiment.

I do wish the best for him, but I think we gave him every chance here, more than he earned with all of the drops and fumbles he had. He could turn out to be all-pro, and I still wouldn't regret that we didn't give him a bigger role here. I didn't blast him (much) while he was playing here, but I'm not going to quietly agree with the assessment that he was an under-utilized talent.

Hey VA, I didn't mean "why wouldn't we wish the best for them" - but, when it comes to the rumors of Niles being a clown who digged partying over his commitment to the team, vs what has been officially said, why assume the worse to be true?

As poor a job as he did, I think Gilmore has a clue what he is talking about.

That said, pretty poor PR from him awareness, or I guess, he's not employed here anymore, so he doesn't give two s---'s if he throws a current Husker player under the bus. Not going to endear him to fans at all, and he's already not a favorite.

But bus-tossing aside, I think he's right about Paul's talent - and that he wasn't necessarily used as much as he could have been. I think the praise about Paul in other areas was coachspeak, an attempt to defuse the negativity and the perception that he's a bit of a headcase. That could go either way; it is hard to tell. But as I'm sure many of you would agree, why in the world would we not hope the best to be true for any of our players? Are we going to believe the unsupported rumors of him being more into the party scene than football, or his position coach's accounts of how seriously he took the game and took responsibility for his mistakes on and off the field?

It is time to take this official report and shelve all the ridiculous anti-Niles sentiment.

I never heard the party scene rumors. My feelings are entirely based on his on-field production (or lack of.)

I think the kid is a Husker fan, through and through. That said, I'm glad that I will no longer have to cringe every time I see the ball heading his way.

Best of luck, Niles. :bigredn:

That said, pretty poor PR from him awareness, or I guess, he's not employed here anymore, so he doesn't give two s---'s if he throws a current Husker player under the bus. Not going to endear him to fans at all, and he's already not a favorite.

Where are you reading this stuff about Niles off the field? I don't see it in this thread and I don't recall reading much, if anything, about Niles' character around here. He took some grief (rightfully) with his DUI, but that has never been the focus of the Niles Paul dissent. It's always been about his performance on the field.

Where are you reading this stuff about Niles off the field? I don't see it in this thread and I don't recall reading much, if anything, about Niles' character around here. He took some grief (rightfully) with his DUI, but that has never been the focus of the Niles Paul dissent. It's always been about his performance on the field.

Most of the things I heard about Paul didn't come from this board but from rumors around campus. They were unsubstantiated and word-of-mouth, but rumors nonetheless about his partying, lack of interest and pompous attitude.

I agree with you, however. I don't think Paul's off the field issues had much to do with his dissent. The fact that he dropped balls, played inconsistent, fumbled and didn't run the cleanest of routes made up for most of the criticism.

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

For the love of Irving Fryer just wish the best for Niles in the League. There were plenty more contributing factors in the losses to Texas and ISU. It is as if I have hopped into my DeLorean and traveled to the message board back in October.

And for the record, why would anyone take anything that spews out of Gilmore's mouth as anything other than utter crap. That is how it was when he was here and anywhre else he resides.

And for the record, why would anyone take anything that spews out of Gilmore's mouth as anything other than utter crap. That is how it was when he was here and anywhre else he resides.

I didn't get that impression from Gilmore. I think his statement is a little self-serving, and it supports a player he obviously liked, but I don't recall Gilmore ever being a problem, or saying things that would cause problems. Maybe I'm just letting time erase those memories...?

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

For the love of Irving Fryer just wish the best for Niles in the League. There were plenty more contributing factors in the losses to Texas and ISU. It is as if I have hopped into my DeLorean and traveled to the message board back in October.

Agreed, and I'm not (nor I don't think anyone else) is putting the blame on him entirely. He was merely a contributing factor to inconsistencies that were widespread on the offense. I hope he does well in the NFL but that doesn't mean I/we can't reflect on his Nebraska career.

I didn't get that impression from Gilmore. I think his statement is a little self-serving, and it supports a player he obviously liked, but I don't recall Gilmore ever being a problem, or saying things that would cause problems. Maybe I'm just letting time erase those memories...?

the problem with Gilmore was he was brought in from CU to coach......and ended up being just as ineffective as Waston....now, we got rid of a lot of dead weight, buy not quite all of it.

My response, why the hell didn't brooks ever play ted? Until you answer that you need to shut up before you wreck yourself. And my true feelings are better summed up in 4 pages of symbols.

This response right here is my point more or less about the words that would come out of Gilmore's mouth. Every August he'd feel good about 6-9 guys and then you'd see maybe five. Stuff he always would say about a kid like Brooks(and even Curenski and Khiry for that matters) was all positive throughout the week/season and then come Saturday he is no where to be found. All Ted would do is spin an illusion of a situation with his WR corp, and then it was the same case every Saturday and every season.

My response, why the hell didn't brooks ever play ted? Until you answer that you need to shut up before you wreck yourself. And my true feelings are better summed up in 4 pages of symbols.

No kidding. Brooks is on an NFL roster!! His lack of touches was absolutely criminal. Incompetence. Pure incompetence.