Top ten games in memorial stadium history

Top ten games in memorial stadium history   

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do you think are the top ten games in the history of memorial stadium? here is your chance to help decide which games will make the list for a show airing on the big ten network, reply to this post with any and all suggestions, and I'd love some throwbacks to the old days.

we did PLAYS now we're doing GAMES

Ah. Yes. I see.

I should probably stop drinking this early in the morning, huh?

It's a good thing that's not embarrassing. :D

its always five o'clock somewhere, but I'd love some suggestions, I love the fresh blood husker fans are bringing to the big ten the conference needed some shaking up

1959 vs. Oklahoma -- 1st win over Oklahoma since 1942. NU 25 - OU 21

1978 vs. Oklahoma -- Osborne's 1st win against Oklahoma as Head Coach, not to mention OU was ranked #1 at the time NU 17 - OU 14

2001 vs. Oklahoma -- OU was defending national champs ranked 2nd coming into Lincoln. NU 20 - OU 10

1982 vs. Oklahoma -- Osborne's 1st back-to-back win against Oklahoma as Head Coach. NU 28 - OU 24

1969: NU over KU 21-17.

I read an article about this game a few years back. It's not a game people would think of as important. But in 1969 Bob Devaney was on the cusp of losing his job after a couple of mediocre years. The Huskers started out 2-2 and Devaney was worried he might get canned if after the game if he lost to Kansas. KU led going into the 4th quarter, but the Huskers came from behind for the victory. NU won all the rest of their games on their schedule that year, going 9-2 to finish 11th in the AP. The next year NU won the MNC. And again in 1971.

I couldn 't find the article about the '69 KU game, but here's a blurb about it from wiki:

Consecutive 6–4 seasons followed in 1967 and 1968. Allegedly known as a drinker,[citation needed] Devaney became subject to a whispering campaign about whether he had peaked. However, he had brought in an innovative offensive thinker as an assistant coach, Tom Osborne. Devaney and Osborne revamped the offensive scheme, an I formation with an unbalanced line, and upgraded the recruiting effort. Nebraska began the 1969 season with just a 2–2 start and in its fifth game needed a last-minute comeback at home to beat a Kansas team that finished the season 1–9. But the 1969 Huskers kept winning and concluded the season with a 9–2 record, including a 45–6 rout of Georgia in the Sun Bowl. This set the stage for the highlight of Devaney's coaching career. LINK

1992 vs. Colorado - Both teams were ranked #8. After all the frustration CU had given Nebraska the previous seasons Memorial Stadium was ROCKING that night as Nebraska stomped the Buffs 52-7.

2001 vs. Oklahoma - This one is a no-brainer. #2 vs. #3, national championship possibility on the line, memories of the old rivalry, legendary Black 41 Reverse play.

1978 vs. Oklahoma - Reasons stated above by Nexus

2010 vs. Missouri - I'm not sure how this game will be regarded historically, but it was the first time we had beaten a top-ten team in quite some time and the atmosphere was electric.

1987 vs. UCLA - The Bruins with Troy Aikman and Gaston Green were ranked #3 and the Huskers #2.

2008 vs. Colorado - The late 57-yard field goal by Alex Henery and Suh's interception for a touchdown to seal the win. I think this is the game that instilled new hope in a lot of Husker fans that things really were going to get better.

I'll probably think of some more later and add them.

2006 Nebraska vs. Texas

I was at that game, the satdium actually shook it was so loud. Then on top of that it started to snow late in the second half. We lost, but it was an electric atmosphere.

I'd second this. I don't think it's required that all the suggestions had to be Nebraska wins in order to be great games.

2010 vs. Missouri - I'm not sure how this game will be regarded historically, but it was the first time we had beaten a top-ten team in quite some time and the atmosphere was electric.

This was also a great game. The crowd was pumped, and went absolutely ballistic when Roy broke off his big runs. Then that goal-line stand that forced Mizzou to kick the field goal when they had marched crisply down the field, culminating in Gabbert getting stuffed at the one when it seemed certain he would score, and the place was up for grabs. That literally "put 'em in the aisles," as Lyell would say.