Worse than the 1995 flooding?

Its getting more comparisons to the 1954 flooding that rerouted the Missouri river around Carter Lake

Was in 1952 or 1954. I heard comparisons to the '52 flood more than anything. This has way exceeded the 1993 flood. I didnt live in the area at the time but the old timers talk about the 1993 and 1952 flood around here.

Some pictures:

I-29%2525203%252520%252528Large%252529.jpg

Missouri%252520River%252520078.jpg

Missouri%252520River%252520037.jpg

Missouri%252520River%252520075.jpg

Is the top picture I-29 south of Neb City. I drove over that stretch 2 weeks ago and it didnt even remotely look like that. Yes you could tell the river/streams were way up. The only land flooding I saw was just outside Neb City across the river by highway 2, which didnt strike me as unusual since I saw that samething last 2 out of 3 summers.

You know my wife keeps telling me that she doesn't want to move to the coasts because of hurricanes, but I've lived in Iowa my entire life and it's like this every year it seems. While the flooding doesn't effect me in anyway, as I don't live near a large water source, it's a neverending cycle and it's getting old. Heart goes out to folks effected........

Is the top picture I-29 south of Neb City. I drove over that stretch 2 weeks ago and it didnt even remotely look like that. Yes you could tell the river/streams were way up. The only land flooding I saw was just outside Neb City across the river by highway 2, which didnt strike me as unusual since I saw that samething last 2 out of 3 summers.

Yes, unfortunately. The parts of I-29 that aren't underwater look like a highway built in the middle of an ocean.

I had to go to KC last weekend and it was a giant mess with I-29 closed...

Also, anyone else getting a little unsettled with this business at the Fort Calhoun reactor? Apparently there's already been a fire that knocked out spent fuel cooling for a few hours and the whole facility looks like it's underwater. The Cooper reactor is also in danger of being underwater pretty soon...and with snowpack still building in the Rockies who knows how long the flood season will last.

Recently it's been under a no fly zone

All nuclear power plants have had a no fly zone over them since 9/11 and the rumors of radiation leakage from a partial fuel meltdown were from the Russian nuclear agency.

I'm just worried that after the Fukushima disaster any sort of problem, at worst a safe level of radiation release, will turn into national pandemonium and more trouble for farmers in the area. If Calhoun and Cooper both go offline indefinitely we're also going to be paying much more for electricity.

The river was at 44.78ft at Brownville (12:15PM today)....45.5ft is where Cooper shuts down.

Link This site is a good one to use to see current and projected river depths.

I was reading an article saying at 150000cfs release from Gavins Point Dam, it would fill a football field in just under a minute with 156ft deep of water. Amazing stuff.