All that's left is Doc

This may come as a surprise to the few of you that actually read the bball topics in the winter, but I think I might be ready for Doc to go...

I look at all the excitement surrounding the football program (obviously) and now baseball, and then look at basketball. I like to think of myself as a die-hard Nebrasketball fan, but I haven't even had enough interest to read half the basketball articles/blogs in the past several months. There is no excitement surrounding this program right now, and for good reason. Without - or even with - Diaz, this team may not win more than 2 conference games next year.

To clarify, I still believe Doc is one of the best options for this job, but it's becoming more and more evident to me that something needs to happen to create some excitement. The facilities (read: recruiting tools) are in place, now something exciting has to happen in the next year to capitalize. There are only two ways to create excitement: a winning season, or a coaching change... I'm having a hard time seeing a winning season next year.

My question is, does T.O. make a change if Doc has a poor year? I honestly didn't think he would, but his move with M.A. surprised (and pleased) me enough to think maybe he would be willing to make a change in basketball. Why not? He's made his hire for the other two sports that matter.

I think TO will give Doc two years in the B1G, barring any kind of colossal team meltdown Anderson and Callahan style. Doc deserves his shot with the practice facility and new conference and if he holds his own, with the new arena as well.

I don't think Doc is that great, but I don't think he's the problem. An apathetic attitude towards men's basketball success by our athletic department is the real problem here.

• Fire 3

I think TO will give Doc two years in the B1G, barring any kind of colossal team meltdown Anderson and Callahan style. Doc deserves his shot with the practice facility and new conference and if he holds his own, with the new arena as well.

I don't think Doc is that great, but I don't think he's the problem. An apathetic attitude towards men's basketball success by our athletic department is the real problem here.

Well honestly what do you expect from people when we beat the #1 team in the nation and then sh#t the bed the rest of the way.

Sadly I think both Doc and Diaz will be here next year. I'm tired of seeing us struggle and I think so is TO. If you say is right, us only winning two conferance games, he will be gone. I do think we will win more than 2 though.

Next year will for sure be a rebulding year though, we are bringing in great young talent, all of them should contribute immediately too.

A very frank conversation was had with Doc about 2 years ago. He had two directions to go. . .walk down the path of the majority of top schools an start to pay AAU coaches "recruiting service fees and hire coaches from those teams to bring players with them *coughs* K State *coughs*" and get players here or he could beat the bushes, do things on the up and up and eventually build a team and winning atmosphere. In BBall the deck really is stacked against the guy who's trying to do it right and its even harder when there is zero tradition. He figured out he had to change his coaching style and the type of kids he needed in the B12 and that kind of hurt him some. I think the non US market thing also failed to work like we planned. I know its frustrating to not make that next leap faster but I think once it is finally made with him we'll be there for several years to come. I think coach he's a good coach who I agree gets 2 more years.

Once he's winning there will be excitement around the team. Look at Creighton.. .. they were nothing in Omaha. . couldn't give away free tickets. Every pop can you brought into ticket office they gave you 4 free tickets. They won some games, moved to the Qwest and became kind of trendy and had a following.. . . but Altman left and you feel the apathy starting to take hold again.

Part of the issue is that this state is like most other places in the US. We love our teams when they win and talk about all the support we'll give them. .but if they are losing we brush them aside. In heavily populated areas they are able to hide that a touch better because population corrects a lot of sins. We don't have that advantage with a state that has more cows than people.

This is an outstanding thread. Very thoughtful comments by all.

Tough call. On one hand I don't think TO will make a change and will leave that evaluation/decision to the next administration. IMO baseball and Basketball situations are different in that baseball has the facilities and used to have the momentum, while Basketball is just getting started with new facilities. I think the recruiting classes for the next 2 years will be HEAVILY scrutinized (in addition to the w/l record) and if they aren't scoring some talent than the clock will be ticking down.

On the other hand the new arena speeds up that clock. If they can't sell the new suites, TO may be looking at a change in coaching to generate some excitement and sell those suites.

My guess is no change will be made.

• Fire 1

I agree--good insight and level-headed comments in this thread.

If Dr. Tom has said that Doc gets to coach in and recruit to the new facilities, then I expect Dr. Tom to take him at his word. But I wouldn't be shocked if Dr. Tom already has a short list for replacement coaches filed away.

Also, does the buzz about Doc being looked at for the A&M program help him in any way? A&M has perhaps the second or third best Big XII basketball program right now (behind Kansas and whomever rotates for second--Texas, KSU, Mizzou), so wouldn't the A&M program taking a look at Doc Saddler imply that they think Doc is a quality coach...and also backhandedly imply that Nebraska is under-utilizing Doc?

Doc is a good DEFENSIVE coach but has no idea how to run an effective offense. The only thing about having a good defense is that you hang close in the majority of the games. He'll never be able to win enough basketball games to get into the NCAA tournament until he puts together a new offense. Doc will have a chance to improve the program greatly in a couple years. He has 4 pretty solid recruits coming in this year except that they are ALL guards. If he can recruit 2 solid big men for the following year then Nebraska could be in good shape in basketball for quite a while. Unfortunately, this year is likely going to be very brutal for Nebraska basketball in its first year in the BIG 10. Diaz is weak and injured. Almeida will likely be out of shape again. Ubel has zero post game. No experience at point guard.

Doc is a good DEFENSIVE coach but has no idea how to run an effective offense. The only thing about having a good defense is that you hang close in the majority of the games. He'll never be able to win enough basketball games to get into the NCAA tournament until he puts together a new offense. Doc will have a chance to improve the program greatly in a couple years. He has 4 pretty solid recruits coming in this year except that they are ALL guards. If he can recruit 2 solid big men for the following year then Nebraska could be in good shape in basketball for quite a while. Unfortunately, this year is likely going to be very brutal for Nebraska basketball in its first year in the BIG 10. Diaz is weak and injured. Almeida will likely be out of shape again. Ubel has zero post game. No experience at point guard.

Well said, very true. A new offense definitely needs to be instituted.