Historical Match ups w/ big ten schools

Well I'm back doing more fan research for the big ten network and this time I'm looking for what you guys think of the historical match ups of the games that the huskers will be featured in this year. In the show I'm working on we will be traveling to 9 different games and Nebraska will be involved in 3 of them at home against OSU and on the road at wisconsin and PSU, so think back to any games played against these teams that you find particularly memorable

This is what I find odd about the fact that you claim to work for the Big Ten Network. I would imagine that a person working for an operation like the BTN would know that Nebraska hasn't played Wisconsin in 35 years and Ohio State in over 50 years. Asking what kinds of memories we have about these games is fishing in a pretty small barrel.

I would guess there are less than 20 members of HuskerBoard who were old enough to have any kind of lasting memory of Nebraska's last game against Wisconsin (in 1974), and I doubt there are any members who remember our last game against OSU (in 1956). In fact, if you can find anyone who was old enough in 1956 to have a clear memory of that game, I'd be shocked. The game was played in Columbus, and I would imagine there weren't 2,000 Husker fans there.

How does the BTN not know these things? How can you think you'll get any kind of information about any of these matchups aside from our series against PSU? I'm old enough to remember the home-and-home we played against Penn State in 2001/2002, and the five games from the late 70s to the early 80s, but there won't be many of us who can remember those games.

Like I said before, it's OK if you're not really with the Big Ten Network. You're not asking questions that are untoward or that would bother anyone.... it's just that it seems awfully weird that you'd do research like this.

This is what I find odd about the fact that you claim to work for the Big Ten Network. I would imagine that a person working for an operation like the BTN would know that Nebraska hasn't played Wisconsin in 35 years and Ohio State in over 50 years. Asking what kinds of memories we have about these games is fishing in a pretty small barrel.

I would guess there are less than 20 members of HuskerBoard who were old enough to have any kind of lasting memory of Nebraska's last game against Wisconsin (in 1974), and I doubt there are any members who remember our last game against OSU (in 1956). In fact, if you can find anyone who was old enough in 1956 to have a clear memory of that game, I'd be shocked. The game was played in Columbus, and I would imagine there weren't 2,000 Husker fans there.

How does the BTN not know these things? How can you think you'll get any kind of information about any of these matchups aside from our series against PSU? I'm old enough to remember the home-and-home we played against Penn State in 2001/2002, and the five games from the late 70s to the early 80s, but there won't be many of us who can remember those games.

Like I said before, it's OK if you're not really with the Big Ten Network. You're not asking questions that are untoward or that would bother anyone.... it's just that it seems awfully weird that you'd do research like this.

I know there is a small sample size for these games and I am no husker football expert, but message boards like this one are a great place to do research because this is where passionate and knowledgeable fans talk about their teams, I am a research intern that gets these types of tasks, I really don't care if people believe me, I just want to gauge what the fans think about these particular match ups because we are doing a show called tailgate 48 where we will be filming the tailgates for 9 big ten games each at a different stadium (the Nebraska home game will be oct 8th vs OSU) and a segment will highlight previous match ups, nebraska will also be featured as the road team twice and any fan input is helpful. i know few if any fans will remember games from 50 years ago, but some of you maybe football history buffs and know a thing or two about it

That 1982 Penn State game - and in particular the series of calls at the end - are still very fresh in my mind. It was clearly obvious that McCloskey was out of bounds, but somehow the refs called it a catch. Thirty years later it's still one of the most astounding calls I've ever seen.

Nearly 20 years later at a dinner, in Nebraska, McCloskey admitted he was out of bounds when he caught the ball.

OSU - last year in an offensive showdown where Martinez was able to pass, or the good running backs (Darren Thomas and some guy named Barry Sanders) in the the '80s couldn't beat NU

Oh, the other OSU - play twice in 55 and 56. At least 55 was close 20-28

Wisc - Met 5 times. Last two in 73 (20-16) and 74 (20-21) Early years in TO's career.

Now for PSU

Played 13 times and have 6-7 record. Five years in a row from 79-84, 1984 was the Kick-off classic and the year of the "Scoring Explosion" and NU's 1 point loss to Miami on a last second fail 2-pt conversion. Split the last two meetings in 2002 and 2003.

The ONLY memorable game out of the bunch was the Nitany Robbery game in 82. Worst official's call EVER - Not even Texass can beat this. Before replays, but with this crew I don't think even that would help.

post-5214-093262200 1309288035.jpg

The 1982 game is VERY memorable because of the officiating on the critical drive at the end (PSU won 27-24). NU was ranked #2 and PSU was #8 in the AP Poll going into that game. 1983 is memorable for NU fans because it really set the tone for that season and the "Scoring Explosion" nickname (NU won 44-6). NU was #1 and PSU was #4 going into that game (which was also the first Kickoff Classic).

Crazily enough NU played non-conference foes PSU, Minnesota, and Wyoming all in 1983 and will play all 3 again this season (although only Wyoming is still a non-vonf game).

P.S. I'll bet PSU fans will cite 1994 as a memorable year between the teams as both were undefeated but only NU finished the polls #1. NU is frequently said to have screwed PSU that year, but the teams never played and the pollsters were the ones PSU fans should have a beef with, not NU.

• Fire 1

Crazily enough NU played non-conference foes PSU, Minnesota, and Wyoming all in 1983 and will play all 3 again this season (although only Wyoming is still a non-vonf game).

Good catch on that one! I did not know that.

P.S. I'll bet PSU fans will cite 1994 as a memorable year between the teams as both were undefeated but only NU finished the polls #1. NU is frequently said to have screwed PSU that year, but the teams never played and the pollsters were the ones PSU fans should have a beef with, not NU.

Not only the pollsters, but specifically the voters in the Big Ten footprint voted overwhelmingly for Nebraska, and PSU has never forgotten it:

94ap_1.jpg

Good catch on that one! I did not know that.

Not only the pollsters, but specifically the voters in the Big Ten footprint voted overwhelmingly for Nebraska, and PSU has never forgotten it:

94ap_1.jpg

Where is Alaska?