Martinez: "Pelini misunderstood the call"

Yep, Bo's a nut job. Question is can Nebraska live with it? I mean deny deny deny, but it still is what it is. I have never met a good coach who reacts like that.

yea maybe bo is a "nut job" or maybe he is a coach who wears his emotions on his sleeve, and yes he does need to work on that a bit, but with bo you know where you stand and how he feels about a situation and he is not hiding anything. i will take that anyday over a coach who tries plays the i do nothing wrong card but is secretly letting his players get away with everything under the sun. ala jim tressel. bo maybe crazy and he maybe extremely passionate but he is not going to get schollies and wins and titles taken away from nebraska like tressel or pete carrol

oh and bo is a damn good coach, the turn around he has peformed at Nebraska in such a short time proves it.

• Fire 1

Yep, Bo's a nut job. Question is can Nebraska live with it? I mean deny deny deny, but it still is what it is. I have never met a good coach who reacts like that.

yea maybe bo is a "nut job" or maybe he is a coach who wears his emotions on his sleeve, and yes he does need to work on that a bit, but with bo you know where you stand and how he feels about a situation and he is not hiding anything. i will take that anyday over a coach who tries plays the i do nothing wrong card but is secretly letting his players get away with everything under the sun. ala jim tressel. bo maybe crazy and he maybe extremely passionate but he is not going to get schollies and wins and titles taken away from nebraska like tressel or pete carrol

oh and bo is a damn good coach, the turn around he has peformed at Nebraska in such a short time proves it.

Bo is an avg. coach, until he makes tracks, ya know the kind that leave marks. I agree, you should'nt have to cheat to get there, that says nothing good about a coach either and in the end hurts the program for along time.

The trainer didn't do anything wrong. Come on now.

Bo didn't do anything wrong. He's emotional, he blows gaskets. May be 'wrong' from a standpoint of, is that the most effective way to motivate your troops in that situation. But from a non-coaching standpoint, the standpoint from which he's being marched around with his head on a platter, he didn't do anything wrong in the Taylor incident. (I'm excluding his treatment of officials). He is so far from a nut job, and I'm damn happy he is our coach.

If anyone did anything "wrong", it was Taylor for a team rule violation that doesn't make a lick of difference to me. I don't personally care if he was on the phone or not for whatever reason and don't see why Bo does that much. But if those were team rules, at best Taylor skirted around the gray area. But it's still not a great big terrible wrong, not even close.

It was just a little incident that has gotten and still gets more attention than it should. If Bo deserves heat for anything, it's how he treats officials, whether or not they hand out screwjobs. And he's gotten plenty of heat for that already, more than his fair share's worth, and I have a lot of confidence that it's improved. Not that it was ever a chief criterion anyway, but it's encouraging because I think we've seen Bo grow into his role.

I will criticize Bo's moves as much as anyone here is willing to, but keep in mind that at the end of the day, Bo is an outstanding football coach and one of the best things for this football program. This marriage with the university has a chance to be another unique one in all of college football. It's a special place for Bo, and he can really make this program his own. Hired at 40 as it were, of course there will be growing pains and changes as he comes into his own as a D1 head coach, and grows fully into the role. I don't doubt that TO made plenty of mistakes as a young coach in the 70s. Just like I don't doubt Bo is still the guy to figure everything out and coach here for the rest of his career - if he is willing.

So I think there's more than enough of the public "he's a bad human being" outcry. Totally unmerited.

• Fire 1

Bo didn't do anything wrong. He's emotional, he blows gaskets. May be 'wrong' from a standpoint of, is that the most effective way to motivate your troops in that situation. But from a non-coaching standpoint, the standpoint from which he's being marched around with his head on a platter, he didn't do anything wrong in the Taylor incident. (I'm excluding his treatment of officials). He is so far from a nut job, and I'm damn happy he is our coach.

If anyone did anything "wrong", it was Taylor for a team rule violation that doesn't make a lick of difference to me. I don't personally care if he was on the phone or not for whatever reason and don't see why Bo does that much. But if those were team rules, at best Taylor skirted around the gray area. But it's still not a great big terrible wrong, not even close.

It was just a little incident that has gotten and still gets more attention than it should. If Bo deserves heat for anything, it's how he treats officials, whether or not they hand out screwjobs. And he's gotten plenty of heat for that already, more than his fair share's worth, and I have a lot of confidence that it's improved. Not that it was ever a chief criterion anyway, but it's encouraging because I think we've seen Bo grow into his role.

I will criticize Bo's moves as much as anyone here is willing to, but keep in mind that at the end of the day, Bo is an outstanding football coach and one of the best things for this football program. This marriage with the university has a chance to be another unique one in all of college football. It's a special place for Bo, and he can really make this program his own. Hired at 40 as it were, of course there will be growing pains and changes as he comes into his own as a D1 head coach, and grows fully into the role. I don't doubt that TO made plenty of mistakes as a young coach in the 70s. Just like I don't doubt Bo is still the guy to figure everything out and coach here for the rest of his career - if he is willing.So I think there's more than enough of the public "he's a bad human being" outcry. Totally unmerited.

Thats about the best answer I have heard. Understandable. I agree T-mart should not have broken the rules, but a leader in your program should lead better than that. T-mart is a kid, Bo is knocking down big bucks (ie: professional)

Not to start a pissing match over something that really should be a dead issue, but I do disagree with the bolded statement. I don't care what the trainer told Bo, he shouldn't of gone off on Taylor like that on national television.

I don't mind Bo going off on a blind/biased official as was the case in the A&M game, but blowing up at a player during a game in front of everyone to see is wrong. Save it for the locker room. However, this one incident doesn't make Bo a bad coach just as much as it doesn't make Taylor a poor leader. I think we'll see a much more mature Bo and Taylor on the sidelines this year.

I will criticize Bo's moves as much as anyone here is willing to, but keep in mind that at the end of the day, Bo is an outstanding football coach and one of the best things for this football program. This marriage with the university has a chance to be another unique one in all of college football. It's a special place for Bo, and he can really make this program his own. Hired at 40 as it were, of course there will be growing pains and changes as he comes into his own as a D1 head coach, and grows fully into the role. I don't doubt that TO made plenty of mistakes as a young coach in the 70s. Just like I don't doubt Bo is still the guy to figure everything out and coach here for the rest of his career - if he is willing.

So I think there's more than enough of the public "he's a bad human being" outcry. Totally unmerited.

Then I guess this means you never met Woody Hayes. Or Bobby Knight. Or Frank Martin.

-Billy Martin

Tommy Lasorda

Earl Weaver

John Thompson

Bob Devaney

Bo Schembechler

-and on and on.

Methinks you're not being serious and just looking to stir crap up. Or you're just tragically dim.

• Fire 2

Then I guess this means you never met Woody Hayes. Or Bobby Knight. Or Frank Martin.

-Billy Martin

Tommy Lasorda

Earl Weaver

John Thompson

Bob Devaney

Bo Schembechler

-and on and on.

Methinks you're not being serious and just looking to stir crap up. Or you're just tragically dim.

:yeah

Damn fine post, zoogies. Completely agree.

Big10 fans that think he's average have no idea, no idea at all how far we had fallen four years ago. They'll find out first-hand though real soon.

-Billy Martin

Tommy Lasorda

Earl Weaver

John Thompson

Bob Devaney

Bo Schembechler

-and on and on.

:thumbs :thumbs :thumbs

I don't think you should back down, zoogies. Sure a kid like Martinez cannot be expected to fashion a perfectly political response, but why say anything at all? If Taylor had said something akin to, "I'm not interested in rehashing the past," or "I don't have any comment on that incident," do you really think Dodd would have published a story/blog post on it? What would that look like?

"Hey sports fans! I know it's almost July, but remember that crazy Nebraska-A&M game in College Station last November? Remember how Bo and Taylor Martinez got into it on the sideline? Well check this out: I recently asked Martinez about it and he said, 'I'm focused on the upcoming season and not interested in talking about the past.' Scandalous, right?"

Just don't see it happening. Whether someone in Martinez's camp suggested the story to Dodd or (more likely) were ready and willing to play along when Dodd called, I'm not a fan of giving the media reason to rehash one of the most embarrassing moments in recent Husker history.

• Fire 1

It'll be rehashed for some time. And I'm sure there will be another game or two this season that rival it. Every season Bo has a meltdown and we hear about how it won't happen again, which we all know is BS. His first season it was Viginia Tech. His second season it was Texas. His third it was Texas A&M. Anyone want to start a poll; "Which game will Bo completely melt down during in 2011/2012?" They talked about the Virginia Tech game for a week or two. The Texas game for a few weeks. The A&M meltdown has been discussed for months. The A&M game wasn't any worse than the Texas game, but it's Bo's history of doing this that is feeding the fire. There's a lot of ammunition behind these stories now, as they are no long considered isolated incidents.

It'll be rehashed for some time. And I'm sure there will be another game or two this season that rival it. Every season Bo has a meltdown and we hear about how it won't happen again, which we all know is BS. His first season it was Viginia Tech. His second season it was Texas. His third it was Texas A&M. Anyone want to start a poll; "Which game will Bo completely melt down during in 2011/2012?" They talked about the Virginia Tech game for a week or two. The Texas game for a few weeks. The A&M meltdown has been discussed for months. The A&M game wasn't any worse than the Texas game, but it's Bo's history of doing this that is feeding the fire. There's a lot of ammunition behind these stories now, as they are no long considered isolated incidents.

That was kind of my point. Yes I was stirring the pot, but this is the jest of it. How long or can Nebraska put up with it, is the question. I dont think it's a reason to fire anyone or anything, but the school has to be atleast a little concerned and most likely wants to see improvment on it. Has he improved on it? He is young as someone pointed out, but thats a bad habit to have.

That was kind of my point. Yes I was stirring the pot, but this is the jest of it. How long or can Nebraska put up with it, is the question. I dont think it's a reason to fire anyone or anything, but the school has to be atleast a little concerned and most likely wants to see improvment on it. Has he improved on it? He is young as someone pointed out, but thats a bad habit to have.

You're from Iowa, Correct? Land of the "politically correct"?

Sorry guys but I for one hope that the attitude of one Bo Pelini never EVER changes! I played the game for 3 different coaches in my time between the goal posts from high school to college. My first coach was a former college coach that dropped down the high school level and he knew how to draw up a play like the best of em but he couldnt relate to the players and therefor we had these fancy plays that noone knew how to run! My second coach liked to baby certain players and be essentially an ass to everyone else which caused a split in the team, the players that actually played well were the players that he was an ass towards. Lastly in college my coach was an imposing man that made sure you knew who was boss and if you didnt work your ass off then you might as well look for a different team because in his words, "I dont need a bunch of f*cking schoolgirls running around out here, you will all be ready to rip someones f*cking head off because you play for me!". we were routinely called names and told how badly we were doing.

here are the records of the teams i played with:

coach 1: 0-8

coach 2: 2-6

year 2: 7-1

year 3: 3-5

coach 3: 11-1

year 2: 10-2

I know which coach I ran through walls for and I know which coach made me the man I am today and the records above reflect just that.

in other words, you might not like it because its not "politically correct" but the bottom line is that the players respect it and will run through walls for it.

• Fire 1