New guy here! Well, sort of

(*WARNING* Long introductory post! Won't happen again!)

So I've been lurking this site for too long, lol. Decided HB deserves better than that! Let me first start off by saying I visit HB daily and enjoy all the threads/topics people post around here! Born and raised in Omaha, I wasn't really a big football fan but my family would bleed red on Saturdays. I grew up with a Dad that when Husker games were on, it was time to STFU so to speak, lol. The one game that truly grabbed my attention (the one I'll remember the most similar to the 83 game vs. Miami that my Dad will always remember, I didn't understand the passion of Husker Nation until January 1st, 1994. Orange Bowl vs. Florida State.

I remember my Dad on the edge of his seat saying, "Please, God, let this be it! Let this be it!!!" And we fought so hard. I remember Nebraska lining up for the kick and I kind of chuckled and looked at my Dad and said "it's gonna go left." He said, "Shut up! No it won't!" And we kicked it wide left. He immediately yelled at me and stormed out of the house screaming (that's a passionate fan for ya!) The Callahan years (gulp) kind of put a damper on him and now he's not so lively during games due to heart problems.

Throughout Husker games, family and friends tell me to keep my mouth shut when I predict games because I'm almost spot on. I'm sure it's highly coincidence but, here's a list of games I have somewhat predicted: (please don't hate me for this!!)

94 Orange Bowl (I said the kick will miss to the left.)

96 Fiesta Bowl (told everyone we were going to embarrass Florida.)

1996 Arizona State (I told family (Dad and uncle) and friends we would get shut out. I was kicked out of the house midway through the game.)

1996 Big XII Championship (told Dad we would lose by ten, he grabbed his car keys and left right after the James Brown 66 yard Td toss.)

1998 Orange Bowl (told everybody at my Uncle's house we'd crush Tennessee and be voted champs. Didn't find out officially until the wee hours of the morning in which I stayed up until the announcement came.)

1998 Texas A&M/Texas (said before the year started that I thought they were for sure losses.)

1999 Texas (Kind of said we'd choke before game's end. We fumbled near the goal line. Nuff said.)

Now here's the kicker, this game here is the last one I have EVER predicted and I learned my lesson. I will never again say before a game what's going to happen (except on here or in my own head, lol...)

2001 Colorado, 62-36. The pre-game, my Dad came downstairs decked in black. Black shirt, black pants, black socks. I questioned, "What's with the all black?" To which he replied, "Blackshirts, baby!!!" Unfortunately, I caught a gold watch on his wrist. I kind of chuckled and said, "The all black and gold watch represents Colorado's colors. You just jinxed us. We're gonna get blown out. We're gonna get embarrassed badly." At the end of the 1st quarter, Colorado led 28 to 3 my Dad aimed for my head and threw the remote then broke his watch and said to keep my mouth shut as I laughed. At half time, the score was 42-23. My Dad put a HUGE hole in the bathroom door.

I remember seeing the little boy cry. I began to join him in what we were seeing the fall of an empire/dynasty. This is where it all came apart, IMO.

2008 to present has brought back hope. Now we're seeing a fallen empire on the rise, regaining energy and hope. Now we're in the B1G I'm confident we'll have a spectacular albeit exciting year. Forget Texas. Forget the B12. Put it behind you. The B1G offers a brutal schedule that I think is doable. They want us to prove we belong. And surely, we will. I'm the guy that supports Pelini and Co. I'm that guy that stands behind your starting QB instead of hurrying to play the backup. Look for Taylor Martinez and the running game to have a miraculous season, and the Blackshirts to have the best unit in the B1G of 2011.

GBR!!!

The one game that truly grabbed my attention (the one I'll remember the most similar to the 83 game vs. Miami that my Dad will always remember, I didn't understand the passion of Husker Nation until January 1st, 1994. Orange Bowl vs. Florida State.

I remember my Dad on the edge of his seat saying, "Please, God, let this be it! Let this be it!!!" And we fought so hard. I remember Nebraska lining up for the kick and I kind of chuckled and looked at my Dad and said "it's gonna go left." He said, "Shut up! No it won't!" And we kicked it wide left. He immediately yelled at me and stormed out of the house screaming (that's a passionate fan for ya!)

This was one of my first Husker memories too. I don't really remember the whole game [being 6 years old will do that] but I do remember losing. And I remember before Bennett over-kicked it and hooked it left, my dad was holding onto me, hoping and praying it would go through, and when he missed it, it just felt like the biggest let down of emotion ever. Whenever I see that kick now-a-days, it burns deep inside and always gives me a depressive feeling. No doubt about it, probably more than any other "bad highlight". That was my "1984 Orange Bowl" game, since I wasn't alive for the actual 1984 Orange Bowl. But for those that lived through both of them, and everything else, I'm sure it brought back painful memories.

But you had some good insight and stories to tell! Even the good and bad, but that's what sports are about! :D

Welcome to the board, contribute as much as you can

& Go B1G Red!

I remember that 1993 Orange Bowl against FSU vividly. I remember the outrage over the last few minutes, and the blown fumble on FSU's short-yardage touchdown. That whole game was so terribly frustrating because we were as good, if not outright better than they were. The field goal sailing left felt like a dagger. It hurt.

That was the seventh bowl loss in a row for Osborne, too. As good as that team was and as positive as people were about our prospects, January, 1994 was a dark time in Husker history. It felt like we would never win.

Then the 1994 season happened, and throughout it felt like something was different. I hadn't heard "this is our year" so often since the early 80s. Everyone seemed to think that we were going to win the title - finally! - with Tommie at QB.

Then we got to the Orange Bowl, again. Against Miami, again. And that first quarter of the 1995 Orange Bowl was more gut-wrenching than any quarter of football I'd watched since the fourth quarter of the 1984 Orange Bowl. We had these guys. We were better than these guys. And we were playing like absolute dog-ass, and getting whipped, 10-0.

I've recorded the replay of that game from BTN's coverage over the Fourth of July weekend, and all I've watched of it so far has been the first quarter. Every memory, every feeling of despair, of, "How can this be happening!?!?!" came flooding back. It felt like I was back there in my living room in 1994, agonizing, all over again.

I still remember the euphoria of the fourth quarter of that game, though. I wonder if it'll feel like that again when I watch the rerun, whenever I have time?

My dear departed mother also had some psychic predictions (though not so accurate). "Well, I think they are getting full of themselves, so they are going to lose this weekend"

She knew nothing about the game.

After going to HS football games for 8 years watching her sons play, she turned to my dad and asked what radio station the coach listens to. When asked what she meant, she pointed out the coach on the sidelines with a headset.

After going to HS football games for 8 years watching her sons play, she turned to my dad and asked what radio station the coach listens to. When asked what she meant, she pointed out the coach on the sidelines with a headset.

That would be 104.1 The Blaze. Best station in Lincoln.

did they broadcast in the '70s and '80s ?

Nobody told me THAT detail.

I remember my Dad on the edge of his seat saying, "Please, God, let this be it! Let this be it!!!" And we fought so hard. I remember Nebraska lining up for the kick and I kind of chuckled and looked at my Dad and said "it's gonna go left." He said, "Shut up! No it won't!" And we kicked it wide left. He immediately yelled at me and stormed out of the house screaming (that's a passionate fan for ya!) The Callahan years (gulp) kind of put a damper on him and now he's not so lively during games due to heart problems.

So it was YOU! You're the one that jinxed us.

/jk Welcome to the board.