Big Ten primer for Big Red

It is not so much that people are defending Riley as it is people bringing up the idea that Husker fans dont need to freak out or get sooooo defensive about things.

I hate Riley and his articles are terrible (to me) but this is a joke. It is like a Bill Simmons draft diary where he rips on teams after team and GM after GM, its just jokes.

I think you, and others, have wildly misunderstood the initial reaction to this article. I read comments basically saying Reilly is a goof, the article is goofy, etc. Then people react like those of us not liking the piece are ready to go ballistic on this guy.

The overreaction, to me, is coming from folks defending Reilly.

You said he was spewing nonsense and rubbing salt in wounds out of spite, and he's an idiot, he has no credibility, the list goes on. No need to get so defensive over a few mild jokes. He poked fun at every Big Ten team and most of his comments had a little truth to them, that's why I found it funny. Did you happen to notice how many times he said something nice about Nebraska or did you stop reading after the first joke?

"you kicked our butts to the state line every year"

"your football lore gives their lore an atomic wedgie (Nebraska: three full national championships and two half ones"

"when's the last time a bunch of lab geeks put 85,000 fannies in a stadium"

"And since nobody travels better than Nebraska -- remember the time you went to South Bend? -- all that red is going to wash into Big Ten stadiums and they're going to wish you were all Big Dead."

"You drew 66,784 for your spring game this year."

"You're devoted fans. But you represent a real threat. You could win a few titles someday and they aren't going to like it."

• Fire 3

wow - huge reaction. i almost posted this yesterday when i read it during lunch because i thought it was fairly humourous. lot of 'larry the cable guy' type of humor throughout. night crawler research? the B1G is really going to take an instant dislike to you. Why? Saves time. the "I" on their helmets is for the number of games they win each year? gophers in your legends division, the only thing they are legendary for is losing. haha... now that's funny stuff...i don't care who you are. :)

...when did Nebraska fans become so defensive? we used to brush this sh!t off, go win a football game. now we pounce on it like the guys got a hand on your mother's tit.

You said he was spewing nonsense and rubbing salt in wounds out of spite, and he's an idiot, he has no credibility, the list goes on. No need to get so defensive over a few mild jokes. He poked fun at every Big Ten team and most of his comments had a little truth to them, that's why I found it funny. Did you happen to notice how many times he said something nice about Nebraska or did you stop reading after the first joke?

"your football lore gives their lore an atomic wedgie (Nebraska: three full national championships and two half ones"

"And since nobody travels better than Nebraska -- remember the time you went to South Bend? -- all that red is going to wash into Big Ten stadiums and they're going to wish you were all Big Dead."

"You're devoted fans. But you represent a real threat. You could win a few titles someday and they aren't going to like it."

Which part of "his jokes aren't funny" do you not understand? Do you really, really think he's writing a complimentary piece on Nebraska?

wow - huge reaction. i almost posted this yesterday when i read it during lunch because i thought it was fairly humourous. lot of 'larry the cable guy' type of humor throughout. night crawler research? the B1G is really going to take an instant dislike to you. Why? Saves time. the "I" on their helmets is for the number of games they win each year? gophers in your legends division, the only thing they are legendary for is losing. haha... now that's funny stuff...i don't care who you are. :)

...when did Nebraska fans become so defensive? we used to brush this sh!t off, go win a football game. now we pounce on it like the guys got a hand on your mother's tit.

The difference isn't the reaction to the article, it's the reaction to the reaction. Every time someone says it's a dumb article gets met with a list of Reilly's accomplishments and reiterations on his humor, as if it's somehow bad to not see this as funny. I posted ten links to ten other sites, news articles, blogs and forums who also don't find Reilly funny, many of whom think he's insulting and a jerk. This isn't a Nebraska thing, it's pretty universal.

so are you going to be ok knapp? i don't want this to ruin your day.

What is it you think would ruin my day?

you sure seem all worked up - you've put about 15-20 posts and some research into this. it's serious now haha.

It's as serious as typing some lines. I'm bored. You got something else to talk about? Another article, something about the offense?

you sure seem all worked up - you've put about 15-20 posts and some research into this. it's serious now haha.

It's as serious as typing some lines. I'm bored. You got something else to talk about? Another article, something about the offense?

I heard Taylor Martinez quit the team again :thumbs

oh sh!t - now you've gone and done it. changing the avatar...what do you think of...

redneck-girl.gif

Which part of "his jokes aren't funny" do you not understand? Do you really, really think he's writing a complimentary piece on Nebraska?

I swear you act like everyone is out to get your huskers. Heck, half the article was about the Michigan Man.

You know, that would be better than talking about a Rick Reilly article, sad as it is to say.

This is why the off season sucks, especially when you're nearing actual football news: people get bored so easily that even silly pieces like this generate two, three, four pages of conversation out of sheer boredom.

This is why we need another football league, like the UFL, that runs during the Spring/Summer. At least we'd have actual football to talk about rather than gnawing the old bones of whatever article or blog pops up that even tangentially mentions Nebraska.

Such is the life of a fan in the off season.

oh sh!t - now you've gone and done it. changing the avatar...what do you think of...

redneck-girl.gif

You have to delete that now. She has small teeth and that freaks me out. Seriously