Big Ten primer for Big Red

Let me straighten one thing out. I'm not mad about this article at all. I guess I'm more disappointed that the multiple-time sportswriter of the year couldn't come up with anything to write other than the same old trite smack talk that every fan of every other team pulls out any time they play the Huskers. If he's such an awesome writer, shouldn't he be able to come up with his own material? This article was basically a sports version of a Carlos Mencia joke.

For what it's worth, I actually enjoy most of his articles. He's an equal opportunity hater. But this time it was like he didn't even try. It seems like he skimmed a KSUcks board or Mizzou board to find a bunch of generic "slams" against the state of Nebraska.

Agreed. The article is about worthless. I'm more amazed about the Reilly Defense Team than the article itself.

No doubt. I'm surprised that he has that many cousins that are Husker fans. Must be one hell of a family reunion.

I'm more amazed about the Reilly Defense Team.

I’m sorry I’ve had a change of heart.

I went back and re-read the commentary and then I went back again and read it and then I sent in 500 emails telling Reilly how terrible his commentary was and that he stinks as a writer and that is not credible anymore and that he needs to come up with more original material and that I won’t ever comeback to that site until he apologizes for wronging the Husker Nation and then I went back and read it again and sent in another email and then I forwarded it to all of my Husker friends and told them to send him an email and demand an apology for making us look bad and then I went back and read it again.

MAN I AM SO ANGRY RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone please hand me my pitchfork and torch.

I'm more amazed about the Reilly Defense Team.

I’m sorry I’ve had a change of heart.

I went back and re-read the commentary and then I went back again and read it and then I sent in 500 emails telling Reilly how terrible his commentary was and that he stinks as a writer and that is not credible anymore and that he needs to come up with more original material and that I won’t ever comeback to that site until he apologizes for wronging the Husker Nation and then I went back and read it again and sent in another email and then I forwarded it to all of my Husker friends and told them to send him an email and demand an apology for making us look bad and then I went back and read it again.

MAN I AM SO ANGRY RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone please hand me my pitchfork and torch.

Glad to have you aboard, brotha! We're sharpening pitchforks in the Big Red Lounge. You can pick up your torch on the Index Page. ;)

It is not so much that people are defending Riley as it is people bringing up the idea that Husker fans dont need to freak out or get sooooo defensive about things.

I hate Riley and his articles are terrible (to me) but this is a joke. It is like a Bill Simmons draft diary where he rips on teams after team and GM after GM, its just jokes.

It is not so much that people are defending Riley as it is people bringing up the idea that Husker fans dont need to freak out or get sooooo defensive about things.

I hate Riley and his articles are terrible (to me) but this is a joke. It is like a Bill Simmons draft diary where he rips on teams after team and GM after GM, its just jokes.

I think you, and others, have wildly misunderstood the initial reaction to this article. I read comments basically saying Reilly is a goof, the article is goofy, etc. Then people react like those of us not liking the piece are ready to go ballistic on this guy.

The overreaction, to me, is coming from folks defending Reilly.

I am not defending him, I dont like him, I never have. I was defending having a sense of humor. I thought people were acting like this was some kind of sin.

To me, this would be like telling a joke: "How do you change a dishwasher into a snowblower?"

"You give her a shovel"

ha ha ha

Now, you can laught at it cause its funny or you can get mad because its "sexiest".

I am not defending him, I dont like him, I never have. I was defending having a sense of humor. I thought people were acting like this was some kind of sin.

To me, this would be like telling a joke: "How do you change a dishwasher into a snowblower?"

"You give her a shovel"

ha ha ha

Now, you can laught at it cause its funny or you can get mad because its "sexiest".

And it's only OK to react one way and not the other? You don't allow for people to have different opinions?

If you can feel one way about it, why can't someone else feel another way without coming down on them? That I don't get.'

Meh. After reading 20 dozen articles as thinly-veiled as this from alums of other conference foes, I guess I fail to see the humor in it anymore. I just want to pry these journalistic idiots from the bottom of my shoe and move on.

Thank you.

I'm not saying this column deserves a Pulitzer, but it's just that; a column. He's poking fun. Not a big deal to me.

Thank you.

I'm not saying this column deserves a Pulitzer, but it's just that; a column. He's poking fun. Not a big deal to me.

It seemed like a big deal based on some of the responses I read.

Chalk it up to offseason boredom?

No, you can react anyway you want. To me, it seems odd that people would react in an upset way. Just like to you, it seems odd that I would laugh at it.

It probably just means that I am schizophranic or something! (see now, some people will laugh at this while others will freak out about making a joke about mental illness)

No, you can react anyway you want. To me, it seems odd that people would react in an upset way. Just like to you, it seems odd that I would laugh at it.

It probably just means that I am schizophranic or something! (see now, some people will laugh at this while others will freak out about making a joke about mental illness)

I don't think that's what knapplc is saying. It's not that we don't find it funny because he's making fun of us, it's not funny because it's the same old, tired, recycled lame sh!t that we hear every season from Joe Schmoe fan from any other school.

I'm of the mindset that you should be allowed to make fun of anything and everything. Once you say that something is off limits, then everything becomes off limits. Not everyone is going to find it funny, but it's your right to make fun of whatever you want. It would have been a lot funnier if he came up with some new stuff to make fun of, but I guess since we're so behind the times there aren't many "new" things to make fun of.

I'm still hoping we get cars and indoor plumbing one of these days ;)

The folks on here must not read very many of Reilly’s commentaries because this is pretty much par for the course.

He has actually been voted National Sportswriter of the Year 11 times and to not think that is a big deal is complete trash. I’m pretty sure he probably made enough money of that when he signed his contract with ESPN to pay for his mortgage. And he does write commentary pieces for their website to generate hits and by the looks of the reactions on here he is doing a pretty good job.

Who cares what others think about Nebraska? People really need to toughen up and not take everything so seriously.

i'm not mad about what he said about nebraska. i'm mad at how lame his attempts at humor were at what a complete waste of time the article was.

Thank you.

It seemed like a big deal based on some of the responses I read.

Chalk it up to offseason boredom?

:thumbs