Big Ten primer for Big Red

I hate to say it, but this is why other teams fans get annoyed with other fan bases. In this case, NU.

Couple things

1. This article is a joke, it is written almost like an Onion article.

2. NU fans do not need to "educate" all other fans all the time. Who cares if Wisconsin has or more less wins then NU recently. There is no need to go "stats guy" on everyone.

I thought it was good, and that people here are taking themselves a bit too seriously.

Seriously. And to whoever asked "who the f*** is Rick Reilly?", he's a ten-time National Sportswriters and Sportscaster writer of the year. He doesn't write stuff for hits. And he also does those awesome montages after every golf major. He's no scrub. Sorry he badmouthed us a little bit.

Whooptie-freakin' doo. That ten-time national sportswriter of the year doesn't mean he can't write a piece of trash. Nor do those ten writer of the year awards pay for his mortgage. You know what does? Clicks on his stories.

Journalism is a business. Reilly is a businessman. He's doing what he has to to put food on the table. Don't get starstruck by some awards. Discern what he's writing, not who's writing it.

Right, it's business, so why take it personally?

I laughed at it.

No kidding. Get over it. I thought it was funny and I have no idea who the hell Rick Reilly is. If you don't think so, then cool, but don't act all butt hurt when somebody disagrees with you.

You mean like you just did? Butthurt is butthurt. I'm allowed to know that Reilly is a joke, and dislike his article. Don't get all butthurt because I say so.

it wasn't even close to funny. not only were the 'jokes' lame, they hardly made sense. how embarrassing, our state is flat (which, it really isnt). not to mention, you could see a train for a lot longer if you were atop a mountain, as opposed to being on flat ground. idiot. also, that Gaddafi joke seems to be in poor taste. i know he was trying to be topical (how timely) but really, he is so petty in his hatred of the huskers that he is making light of a person complicit in state sponsored terrorism? i could deconstruct the whole thing, but why waste the time. it was just a lame attempt at funny where vitriol clouded his sense of humor. it was either lame or mean spirited, but never funny nor insightful. i like self-deprecating humor so i can handle a few good jabs at good ole nebraska. but it has to be funny, nothing was funny in that, not about us nor any other B1G team. just a lame waste of time, and really, poor form on ESPN's part. they must not care about their product in the summer, if ever.

edit: and i'm not against edgy humor, even involving gaddafi. but he was trying to be topical, two months too late. he could have said, "even in the 80's, if NU went against Ivan Drago, we'd be wearing red, but with a hammer and sickle." that wasn't even funny, but it was better.

• Fire 2

I thought it was good, and that people here are taking themselves a bit too seriously.

Seriously. And to whoever asked "who the f*** is Rick Reilly?", he's a ten-time National Sportswriters and Sportscaster writer of the year. He doesn't write stuff for hits. And he also does those awesome montages after every golf major. He's no scrub. Sorry he badmouthed us a little bit.

It was me.

It's been an off and on running joke on here since the staff overhaul.

Take a couple deep breaths. Everything is going to be ok.

• Fire 1

Man you guys are to fast. :)

I dont know about some fan of another conf.

But he did not give ILL enough credit. I am telling you from 1 B10 fan to another, they can, and do show up. I have been hearing good things out of there lately, and I am just saying, watch out for them to "show up" this year. I like that MN and ILL are starting to think they might want to play ball again, makes all of our teams better . So buckel up boys and enjoy the ride... I think you will find it rather exhilarating.

I always loved Steve Rushin and his "air and space" column in SI...

That guy could straigh up paint with the English language....

He was at the beginning of SI mags, by the time I got to buff rick, he easily put me to sleep.

While rushin was positive and uplifting and poetic, I always thought Rick was aloof, alluding, and a-hole-ish...

And this was when I was about 11 that i started reading both, well before I knew about "awards" or "alumni allegiance"...

When Rick joined espn and I could read him weekly, online....man, I realized he was a freaking prick, egomaniac...

Check rushin if u want REAL writing

The folks on here must not read very many of Reilly’s commentaries because this is pretty much par for the course.

He has actually been voted National Sportswriter of the Year 11 times and to not think that is a big deal is complete trash. I’m pretty sure he probably made enough money of that when he signed his contract with ESPN to pay for his mortgage. And he does write commentary pieces for their website to generate hits and by the looks of the reactions on here he is doing a pretty good job.

Who cares what others think about Nebraska? People really need to toughen up and not take everything so seriously.

The folks on here must not read very many of Reilly’s commentaries because this is pretty much par for the course.

He has actually been voted National Sportswriter of the Year 11 times and to not think that is a big deal is complete trash. I’m pretty sure he probably made enough money of that when he signed his contract with ESPN to pay for his mortgage. And he does write commentary pieces for their website to generate hits and by the looks of the reactions on here he is doing a pretty good job.

Who cares what others think about Nebraska? People really need to toughen up and not take everything so seriously.

I find it bizarre that you, and others, are defending Reilly in this and can't seem to understand why we would defend Nebraska.

I've got a tip for you: This is a Nebraska forum. It should not surprise you that people do not like it when some jackass comes along and speaks poorly about our team - especially when he's a graduate of one of the teams we hate the most.

You want to defend Rick Reilly, then go make a Rick Reilly forum and have a blast. But don't tell Husker fans they can't support their team on the flagship Husker forum.

A Rick Reilly Primer for those who have a hard time understanding why Husker fans are reacting poorly to his column:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Link 5

Link 6

Link 7

Link 8

Link 9

Link 10

I could literally go on, and on, and on, and on. Apparently there are dozens, if not hundreds of sites, where people have forgotten to forgive anything Reilly writes because he won a few awards once. :rolleyes:

I find it bizarre that you, and others, are defending Reilly in this and can't seem to understand why we would defend Nebraska.

I've got a tip for you: This is a Nebraska forum. It should not surprise you that people do not like it when some jackass comes along and speaks poorly about our team - especially when he's a graduate of one of the teams we hate the most.

I find it bizarre that people are upset over some commentary piece by a guy that is known for writing these kinds of commentary pieces. I find it bizarre that people get bent out of shape over what some commenter says about their team. WHO CARES

Where exactly did I tell people they can’t support their team? I said people need to toughen up and stop caring what others think about us.

The fact that National columnist are writing about Nebraska Football is a good thing. It means we are relevant in the grand scheme of things.

You want to defend Rick Reilly, then go make a Rick Reilly forum and have a blast. But don't tell Husker fans they can't support their team on the flagship Husker forum.

So if one doesn’t see things the one some do they need to go start their own forum? Lovely.

I find it bizarre that people are upset over some commentary piece by a guy that is known for writing these kinds of commentary pieces. I find it bizarre that people get bent out of shape over what some commenter says about their team. WHO CARES

Where exactly did I tell people they can’t support their team? I said people need to toughen up and stop caring what others think about us.

The fact that National columnist are writing about Nebraska Football is a good thing. It means we are relevant in the grand scheme of things.

So if one doesn’t see things the one some do they need to go start their own forum? Lovely.

We can all play this game. If I don't see it the way you do, I need to "toughen up." Lovely.

Clearly you care. Or are you just interested in some pissing match over something you claim you don't care about?

Just because he doesn't need to do something, doesn't mean he didn't to it. I do stuff all the time that I don't need to.