Official HB Good Beer Thread

Nice, Trippel is my go to.

I like the Lindeman's lembics. The Framboise is a raspberry that has an almost carbonated wine-like quality to it. It's also pretty sweet. I would never drink it as my drink for an entire evening, but it's nice to have a glass or two to kick things off. Speaking of NB, I actually drank the Framboise out of this:

newbelgium.jpg

Going to Tulsa to shop for beer making kits. Any recommendations?

As far as equipment or ingredients? What store is in Tulsa?

Both. The store is called High Gravity. They have a site you can visit.

Depends on what styles you like and when you want to drink them? You could make just a typical dark ale and it would be ready fairly quickly. If you tried to make a really big beer it wouldn't be ready for Christmas or anything. As far as equipment goes, get one of the basic starter kits with a bucket fermenter, bottling bucket, air lock, transfer tubes, etc.

Going to Tulsa to shop for beer making kits. Any recommendations?

As far as equipment or ingredients? What store is in Tulsa?

Both. The store is called High Gravity. They have a site you can visit.

Depends on what styles you like and when you want to drink them? You could make just a typical dark ale and it would be ready fairly quickly. If you tried to make a really big beer it wouldn't be ready for Christmas or anything. As far as equipment goes, get one of the basic starter kits with a bucket fermenter, bottling bucket, air lock, transfer tubes, etc.

Looked at some of their Belgian style Ale's(on line) About $50 per kit. 9% ABV and above. Not sure I want anything that strong.

I have a Belgium that's done now that is about 4.5% here's the link: http://www.monsterbr...wBelgianAle.cfm I bought it from our LHBS and they pretty much only sell these kits. The rest are ingredients you have to put together to make your own recipes.

That says 6.7% I will check some of their stuff out when I get there. Thanks for the info. I will let you know when I purchase my kit. Thanks again.

I have a Belgium that's done now that is about 4.5% here's the link: http://www.monsterbr...wBelgianAle.cfm I bought it from our LHBS and they pretty much only sell these kits. The rest are ingredients you have to put together to make your own recipes.

That says 6.7% I will check some of their stuff out when I get there. Thanks for the info. I will let you know when I purchase my kit. Thanks again.

Yeah, it's says that, but it didn't finish as well as it should have and that happens quite a bit.

Yeah, it's says that, but it didn't finish as well as it should have and that happens quite a bit.

Any other recipes you recommend? Not gonna try lagers just yet.

Pretty much any of the light ales are easy to start with. You just starting out or do you have experience?

Pretty much any of the light ales are easy to start with. You just starting out or do you have experience?

Just starting. Have several vids on brewing though. Gonna try to get to Tulsa next week.

Guy I work with makes wine. Buys all his stuff at High Gravity. They have Mr. Beer kits here in town, but I want something better.

Yeah, don't buy one of those Mr. Beer kits, it'll turn you off to the whole home beer brewing thing. You can make much better beer than that. I bought the book "How to Brew" by John Palmer and read some of that before I ever started. A lot of people fail when they first start because they don't do the homework that's kinda necessary so you understand how everything works. My advice, 1. Make sure you are ridiculous with your cleaning and sanitizing. People don't understand how clean you have to be when you make beer, they think you just shove it in a bucket and bam, you have beer. 2. Temperature control, always research your yeast strains by going to the manufacturers website, it'll tell you what they need to ferment at. Best way to control your temperature on the cheap is two ways. 1. Temp controller. 2. Fermentation chamber. You can use the temp controller on an old fridge and basically take over the thermostat or you can build a ferm chamber. I built a ferm chamber that runs on ice bottles, a home thermostat, and a computer fan. Search mother of fermentation cabinet if you're interested unless you have an old fridge lying around. Always remember as a home brewer the following: RDWAHAHB.................Relax Don't Worry And Have A Home Brew.

Tried two new beers this weekend:

St. Bernardus Christmas Ale (Belgian-y, which I like . . . and Christmas Ale-y, which I don't like). If you like Christmas ales and belgian beers give this one a try.

betterbeerblog-12days-stbernardus-glass.jpg

Green Flash Double Stout (All around excellent. Very drinkable stout with rich but mellow flavors.)

green_flash_double_stout.davao62lsjk0gokg8wgko00sk.6ylu316ao144c8c4woosog48w.th.jpeg

My only problem with the Trippel is the heavy coriander flavor. Kinda goes away after the 3rd one though. :D

Lot's of things go away after a few Trippels...

St. Bernardus Christmas Ale (Belgian-y, which I like . . . and Christmas Ale-y, which I don't like). If you like Christmas ales and belgian beers give this one a try.

I was just coming on here to recommend this - this stuff is pretty excellent. Good brand right there.

abt12.jpg

On tap in downtown Omaha at Havana's cigar lounge.

I will definately have to hunt down the Christmas version. Maybe Crescent Moon...

Tried two new beers this weekend:

betterbeerblog-12days-stbernardus-glass.jpg

Green Flash Double Stout (All around excellent. Very drinkable stout with rich but mellow flavors.)

green_flash_double_stout.davao62lsjk0gokg8wgko00sk.6ylu316ao144c8c4woosog48w.th.jpeg

carlfense...you're killing me. :)

That St. Bernardus brew looks incredible.