***Official Fall Camp Injuries Thread***

Wow, all the doom-and-gloom! This isn't Bo's first defense, and it's not our first major injury. We lost Compton and Fisher last year, then came up with a school-record tackle season by a guy we've never seen "play college snaps for us." Last year David was the epitome of "youth and promise, and precious little game experience."

A couple of years ago we lost Thenarse and Assante in the same game. Why did we finish 2009 with the #1 pass defense after losing our top two Safeties in September? Depth, and a damned good D Line.

This year we just so happen to have depth. We also have what should be a pretty good D Line.

I'm not happy. But I'm not hitting the panic button, either.

EDIT - also, Dennard just put on his "fml" Facebook status, in response to inquiries of "what's wrong" by half a dozen people, "Jus family issues." Could just be covering until something is announced. Could be nothing.

Again, not panicking.

To be fair, Dennard is a lot more important to this defense than any of those guys were, none of those guys were arguably the best player in the country, at their respective positions, at this point I'm just trying to figure out how many commas I can fit into this sentence, that's five, now six.

To be fair, Dennard is a lot more important to this defense than any of those guys were, none of those guys were arguably the best player in the country, at their respective positions, at this point I'm just trying to figure out how many commas I can fit into this sentence, that's five, now six.

Not untrue, but, you have to remember, this is why a coach, during recruiting, builds depth, not just to spell guys in games, but in case of injuries which, while you can't predict, are unpredictable, and, unfortunately, inevitable.

And that's a cool dozen commas.

Not untrue, but, you have to remember, this is why a coach, during recruiting, builds depth, not just to spell guys in games, but in case of injuries which, while you can't predict, are unpredictable, and, unfortunately, inevitable.

Full disclosure, I agree with you here, I think we'll be OK on defense, regardless, but I was just pointing out why we may, or may not, see a little more panic over this, than say, Thenarse's injury, or Asante's injury, or even Fisher's injury, or heck, even Compton's injury, and it probably shouldn't be, ya know, all that surprising, in fact, I'd say it's justifiable.

16ish, I think. Honestly, I've never really understood commas, I just throw them in, whenever.

Edit: +1 to whomever read this post aloud in a Christopher Walken voice.

• Fire 1

Full disclosure, I agree with you here, I think we'll be OK on defense, regardless, but I was just pointing out why we may, or may not, see a little more panic over this, than say, Thenarse's injury, or Asante's injury, or even Fisher's injury, or heck, even Compton's injruy, and it probably shouldn't be, ya know, all that surprising, in fact, I'd say it's justifiable.

16ish, I think. Honestly, I've never really understood commas, I just throw them in, whenever.

Coincidentally, there are 16 rules for the uses of commas. Between the two of us, I think we've violated every one. :lol:

I don't know how vital Dennard is to our defense this year, because that can only be judged retroactively. Today I'd say he's "very, very vital," and I'm pretty unhappy at the thought of any kind of injury to him. But regardless of how good he is or how much we all think he's crucial to the success of this defense, we've got other guys with game experience, some of whom have played quite well when put in tough situations (Evans against Missouri, for example).

Plus we have Bo, who has shown the ability to make solid defenses out of rude clay (2008 immediately springs to mind).

What's the worst that happens? We have All-Americans at two levels of defense instead of three without Dennard - which is a damned fine situation to be in. The secondary is full of guys with potential rather than proof that they can handle the spotlight, but with the solid guys at the other two levels, and Bo, I still think we'll be OK.

The reason I am concerned is that should the worst happen, having two levels of AA is a very significant difference from having three. Kind of like if Taylor has 90% of his burst. He'll still be fast, but it just won't be the same. Of course, I suppose CB is arguably the least important position if the first two levels are strong, and if there is one level where we can most easily absorb a knock down from elite level, it'll be CB.

Bell, Green, Mitchell...if the worst happens, all we can do is trust in Bo's secondary wizardry. Something he is substantially good at, mind.