Who is your 2nd favorite Big Ten team?

Moiraine

the Wisconsin love and Iowa bashing just confuse me.

I haven't met a Wisconsin fan who overvalues his team's success and tries to rub it in, but then, Wisconsin is further away so that makes sense.

I also liked watching Ron Dayne. In the 90s (the decade I started watching football) I never watched Iowa, but I saw quite a few Wisconsin games.

OK - I have to ask. Is the fascination with Wisconsin simply due to the fact that their athletic director is from Nebraska? Everyone here realizes that Wisconsin = Iowa as far as on the field success right? You can't get much more equal than Iowa and Wisconsin.

42-42-2 all time record.

Wisconsin has 12 conference titles to Iowa's 11.

Wisconsin 1 in the last decade, Iowa 2.

Wisconsin 7 BCS level bowls with a 3-4 record. Iowa 7 BCS level bowls with a 3-4 record (Iowa 1-1 in BCS era, Wisconsin 0-1)

Wisconsin 11-11 all time bowl record. Iowa 14-10-1.

Both teams have 4 ten win seasons in the past decade.

Both head coaches learned under Fry.

I could keep going with the comparisons - but it just gets silly how similar they are which is why the Wisconsin love and Iowa bashing just confuse me.

I agree with this post. But I find it a waste of breath. That said lets move on to some other posts.

I am done. If you really dont understand the difference between an AD and a coach, I give up. What was Barrys record in the B10? Whats Brets? Barry may get credit for Wiskey not being like Minny, but the last, oh I dont know 6-10 years of Wiskeys sucess is a direct result of Bret. A coach runs his program. If you really think Bo is recruiting and playing what type of ball TO says, your a retard.

OK - I have to ask. Is the fascination with Wisconsin simply due to the fact that their athletic director is from Nebraska? Everyone here realizes that Wisconsin = Iowa as far as on the field success right? You can't get much more equal than Iowa and Wisconsin.

42-42-2 all time record.

Wisconsin 7 BCS level bowls with a 3-4 record. Iowa 7 BCS level bowls with a 3-4 record (Iowa 1-1 in BCS era, Wisconsin 0-1)

I could keep going with the comparisons - but it just gets silly how similar they are which is why the Wisconsin love and Iowa bashing just confuse me.

I agree with this post. But I find it a waste of breath. That said lets move on to some other posts.

I am done. If you really dont understand the difference between an AD and a coach, I give up. What was Barrys record in the B10? Whats Brets? Barry may get credit for Wiskey not being like Minny, but the last, oh I dont know 6-10 years of Wiskeys sucess is a direct result of Bret. A coach runs his program. If you really think Bo is recruiting and playing what type of ball TO says, your a retard.

Who are you even replying to? Nobody said Alvarez was responsible for the recent success. Nobody said Bielema isn't responsible for the recent success. But for the record, Bielema has a 75% win percentage. Alvarez had a 62% winning percentage. Alvarez inherited a team that went 5-27 their previous 4 years.

42-42-2 all time record.

For the record, you've just spent more time thinking about Iowa and Wisconsin than 99% of Husker fans have thought about them in the past month. Pretty much nobody, outside those Husker fans living in/next to Iowa or Wisconsin thinks about or cares about either team. There is no "fascination" with Wisconsin any more than there is a fascination with Boise St. around here.

42-42-2 all time record.

Who are you even replying to? Nobody said Alvarez was responsible for the recent success. Nobody said Bielema isn't responsible for the recent success. But for the record, Bielema has a 75% win percentage. Alvarez had a 62% winning percentage. Alvarez inherited a team that went 5-27 their previous 4 years.

Sorry, I just read thru them all and starting answering. Somebody got all puffy about how Wisky is trying to be like Nebraska or how Nebraska was. As Caven pointed out this all started with Fry and he was a TX guy, so now your saying all of us are trying to be like TX? Fact of the matter is a coach runs the team and hires other coaches. Bret sporting his tiger hawk tat and using what he learned at Iowa, has had more sucess there than anyone else.

Something, you guys may not understand is that some of the top coaches come from the B10. We have things like Bret, we have Fitz over there with a chip, because he got hurt playing Iowa, we got Bo who played at fOSU and got his first coaching gig at Iowa, heck I think Stoops was in on that as well. Ofcourse we kept the best with KF. Plain and simple, the Iowa program has done more for the B10 than any other team. That all started along time ago and now we are reaping the rewards from it. I would not expect for anyone here to understand that, because it has nothing to do with Nebraska (except Bo ofcourse).

42-42-2 all time record.

Sorry, I just read thru them all and starting answering. Somebody got all puffy about how Wisky is trying to be like Nebraska or how Nebraska was. As Caven pointed out this all started with Fry and he was a TX guy, so now your saying all of us are trying to be like TX? Fact of the matter is a coach runs the team and hires other coaches. Bret sporting his tiger hawk tat and using what he learned at Iowa, has had more sucess there than anyone else.

Something, you guys may not understand is that some of the top coaches come from the B10. We have things like Bret, we have Fitz over there with a chip, because he got hurt playing Iowa, we got Bo who played at fOSU and got his first coaching gig at Iowa, heck I think Stoops was in on that as well. Ofcourse we kept the best with KF. Plain and simple, the Iowa program has done more for the B10 than any other team. That all started along time ago and now we are reaping the rewards from it. I would not expect for anyone here to understand that, because it has nothing to do with Nebraska (except Bo ofcourse).

Classic. From now on, every time I hear Iowa fan decry the NU fan base as a bunch of egomaniacs with an inflated sense of self ("FIVE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS, HAR!" -Every Iowa Fan Ever) I'm going to remember this tidy little gem from you bigg with two g's. Thanks mate. :)

42-42-2 all time record.

For the record, you've just spent more time thinking about Iowa and Wisconsin than 99% of Husker fans have thought about them in the past month. Pretty much nobody, outside those Husker fans living in/next to Iowa or Wisconsin thinks about or cares about either team. There is no "fascination" with Wisconsin any more than there is a fascination with Boise St. around here.

Really Knappic?

Wisconsin. They are kind of retro - real smash-mouth football. And since they modeled themselves after the Huskers, you kind of have to like 'em.

This is the one that really gets me - comparing Wisconsin to Oklahoma and Iowa to Colorado.

Hopefully Wisconsin, will become our Oklahoma, while Iowa, will be our Colorado...

Another Wisky/OU comment. And yes these two in a row are what led me to asking why people are ok with Wisconsin and not Iowa.

I think I should correct Walksalone's comment:

I (and he too) hopes Nebraska becomes Wisconsin's OU (afterall, great rivalry with shared respect but OU has the lead in wins.) I'm ok with a mutually respected foe like Wisc provided we "own" the win/loss column. :)

BTW... I, my kids and better half will be in Madison for our first B1G game. Will wait till after that experience before saying Whisky is my 2nd favorite.

There are other examples in other threads on this board talking up Wisconsin and bashing Iowa as well so my question still stands - is it just the fact that their AD has Husker ties and their uniforms look like yours that causes them to be worthy and Iowa to not?

Caven, you can point out all the posts you want. The fact of the matter is that Husker Fan doesn't care about Iowa or Wiscy. You can cite half a dozen posts or you can buy what I'm selling you after 40 years as a Husker fan.

If it's important to you that we care, then fine, we care. We are consumed with all things Iowa. We go to bed at night dreaming of beating Iowa and our first waking thought is about the Hawkeyes.

Does that fit your preconceived notions about what Husker Fan thinks? If so, run with that. I don't know what else to tell you.

I'll share my thoughts..

Iowa borders Nebraska and quite honestly.. neither fan base cares much for the other. Nebraskan's see Iowa as a second tier team at best while Iowan's see Nebraska as over-rated whiners. So.. to answer your question "is it just the fact that their AD has Husker ties and their uniforms look like yours that causes them to be worthy and Iowa to not?" ... yes. Husker fans have pulled for Wisconsin for years as a result of Barry (He is after all an Alum and former Husker) and sker fans I assume will continue to pull for him. Also, the colors do help as well and like I said in my first post regarding my 2nd favorite team B1G team. It's whomever is playing Iowa that day. I worked in that God awful state for 18 years and regardless of how much I like the B1G, I for one will "never" pull for Iowa. Which in many ways shocks me because my second favorite team in the Big 12 was ISU. Great fans, Great School and seemingly every year would have at least one huge conference upset.

Caven, a lot of it has to do with Alvarez I think. He has actively praised NU many, many times publicly, and we as NU fans take note of that and naturally tend to extend warm feelings towards the source of those complimentary sentiments. There is zero animosity between the two fan bases (yet) because we haven't played any games recently, and have exchanged kind words without having those friendly gestures challenged by the fire of competition. We'll see what happens when the Badgers beat us. Still, nobody around here has a Wisconsin banner hanging up next to a Husker poster in their man cave. Conversely, there seems to be this weird preexisting negative undercurrent between some portions of both the Husker and Hawkeye crowds towards the other, and we have played somewhat recently. Perhaps proximity has something to do with it.

We are so similar, live in such similar environments, and share the same basic regional mannerisms and culture traits. It's almost natural that there would be some kind of sibling-esque bickering.

And, like knapplc indicated above, there are a good portion of Nebraska fans who truly don't feel much one way or the other about any of our new conference mates yet, because we really haven't crossed paths all that much over the years.

We'll all have a better understanding of each other in four and a half months, all twelve of us in this awesome conference of ours. We just need to play some damn games already.

lol.... Nebula, quit being so damned diplomatic... just accept it... Until Iowa does anything relative to winning a National Championship (their one is at best controversial) they aren't the sker's equal. :)

and also, might I also add... that there are as many differences in our culture as likes. Good example is the liberalism that is Iowa and the conservative standards of Nebraska. God forbid that we (Nebraska) ever moves to the left. <scary>

God forbid that we (Nebraska) ever moves to the left. <scary>

You haven't been in Lincoln or Omaha much lately? Omaha's Electoral College vote went to Obama in 2008. For Nebraska, Omaha is quite Left-leaning. Lincoln has its share of Lefties, too. This state isn't as Republican as it once was.

lol.... Nebula, quit being so damned diplomatic... just accept it... Until Iowa does anything relative to winning a National Championship (their one is at best controversial) they aren't the sker's equal. :)

and also, might I also add... that there are as many differences in our culture as likes. Good example is the liberalism that is Iowa and the conservative standards of Nebraska. God forbid that we (Nebraska) ever moves to the left. <scary>

:lol:

There are a lot of liberals in Nebraska, though. Omaha voted Obama.

*lol knapp. Always quicker to the punch.