Who is your 2nd favorite Big Ten team?

Moiraine

Plain and simple, the Iowa program has done more for the B10 than any other team. That all started along time ago and now we are reaping the rewards from it.

Maybe ridiculous statements like this are why Wisconsin engenders fuzzier feelings within the Nebraska fanbase?

Well, lets just put it this way Bucky, your AD coached HS ball in Nebraska, then he coached HS ball in Iowa with his first D1 gig at Iowa (in the late 70's).

Your coach, played here and got his first gig coaching D1 ball at Iowa.

I dont know how old any of you are but I remember listening to Iowa/Wisky play almost every year since as far back as I can remember (early 60's), they have always played the same style of ball, and it did not matter what the twos records were, it was always "the game".

So if it makes you all feel better to think Nebraska influenced Wisky, go right ahead. The rest of the world knows the truth.

Btw just for the record Wisky has always been my #2. I guess it was formed out of tradition, which lead to respect.

Like I said Bucky. Barry, Bret, KF, Bo, Stoops, do I need to keep going? Name me another program that has had that much influence on the current state of the B10 (and beyond).

There are other examples in other threads on this board talking up Wisconsin and bashing Iowa as well so my question still stands

I don't understand why it still stands. It's been almost discussed to death. You haven't annoyed me yet, so I'm not lumping you in. But every other Iowa fan I've ever met in person or on the internet is obnoxious as heck. I can be talking about something completely unrelated, like soup, and they'll bring up football and start bashing NE for no reason.

But instead of reading this post you could just read bigg's posts to get an understanding. We don't have a Wisconsin equivalent of him, thus far.

Plain and simple, the Iowa program has done more for the B10 than any other team. That all started along time ago and now we are reaping the rewards from it.

Maybe ridiculous statements like this are why Wisconsin engenders fuzzier feelings within the Nebraska fanbase?

I certainly don't disagree with that.

Knappic - I think you completely missed my point and no I don't think Huskers should be obsessed with Iowa. My point was (for those that post and do obviously think about other teams in their new conference) why the disdain for Iowa and the happy thoughts for Wisconsin when we are the same. Thank you to those of you that answered my question and helped me to understand the mindset.

Moiraine - I will do my best to not annoy all of you :)

I love your answer Foppa!

Caven, the simple answer is that you are not the same. Similarity of win/loss records does not make you the same team, or kind of team.

I would say any animosity towards Iowa is simply based on the proximity of the fan bases, being from bordering states. Those who don't interact with Iowegians, and specifically Iowa Fans, have no animosity.

Barry Alvarez being a Husker has a lot to do with the "like" towards Wisconsin, but then again, that's pretty much the ONLY thing most people know about Wiscy football. Once we start playing them and once our fans start having bad experiences in Madison, that will change.

Actually, another link between Nebraska and Wisconsin is John Cook, former Asst. VB Coach at Nebraska, then Head Coach in Madison for several years, then the hand-picked successor to Terry Pettit here in Lincoln, where Cooker has won two National Championships and run a damned fine program.

Wisconsin is my second favorite team.

People that aren't Nebraska fans often don't seem to understand just how strong the ties are to our former players (like Barry Alvarez). Here was a man who idolized and was heavily influenced by our legendary coach Bob Devaney. Don't believe it? Let him tell you himself:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FIH/is_1_70/ai_n18610272/

COACH: Who were the main influences in your coaching life? Were there any people you consciously modeled yourself after?

ALVAREZ: Bob Devaney is a man I tried to emulate. He was a very special man and really impacted my decision to become a coach.

Nebraskans and Nebraska fans feel pride in his success. We love seeing our former Huskers become success stories--especially when we feel that our school's influence contributed to the person becoming successful. Wisconsin is where it is because of Barry Alvarez and his relationship with Bob Devaney. He may be the head Badger now, but he'll always be a Husker to me.

This is the one that really gets me - comparing Wisconsin to Oklahoma and Iowa to Colorado.

Hopefully Wisconsin, will become our Oklahoma, while Iowa, will be our Colorado...

Another Wisky/OU comment. And yes these two in a row are what led me to asking why people are ok with Wisconsin and not Iowa.

I think I should correct Walksalone's comment:

I (and he too) hopes Nebraska becomes Wisconsin's OU (afterall, great rivalry with shared respect but OU has the lead in wins.) I'm ok with a mutually respected foe like Wisc provided we "own" the win/loss column. :)

BTW... I, my kids and better half will be in Madison for our first B1G game. Will wait till after that experience before saying Whisky is my 2nd favorite.

There are other examples in other threads on this board talking up Wisconsin and bashing Iowa as well so my question still stands - is it just the fact that their AD has Husker ties and their uniforms look like yours that causes them to be worthy and Iowa to not?

I didn't know this would cause the egregious amount of panty twisting, but so be it.

Iowa to me, feels like Colorado. The "powers that be" are trying to manufacturing a rivalry, due to the proximity. I respect Wisc due to B. Alvarez and the fact that he's "one of ours" and what he's done for that program.

I'm not bashing Iowa. You have to care about Iowa to bash them, and most of us just don't...

OK - I have to ask. Is the fascination with Wisconsin simply due to the fact that their athletic director is from Nebraska? Everyone here realizes that Wisconsin = Iowa as far as on the field success right? You can't get much more equal than Iowa and Wisconsin.

Alvarez is why huskers like Wisconsin. No mystery. If he wasn't there it wouldn't have been en-vogue to check on them once in awhile when they were having a good year like whenever it was Ron Dayne was playing there. That's about as much thought as anyone's given it I'd imagine.

I can honestly say I didn't follow the big ten games at all other then that for the last 15 years, other then MNC race teams that were hard to avoid. Big Ten games were the games that after a long Friday night I'd take a nap to in the late morning/early afternoon until the real football started.

Wisconsin is my second favorite team.

People that aren't Nebraska fans often don't seem to understand just how strong the ties are to our former players (like Barry Alvarez).

That's why Kansas is easily my favorite Big 12 team now. And Ohio my favorite MAC school. etc.

Wisconsin is my second favorite B1G team as well. Although, I actually have admired/respected the Iowa football team from afar. I've liked the way Ferentz runs his program, and their style of play really suits my tastes. That said, their fans leave a lot to be desired. And my mother-in-law is from Iowa.