Am I missing something? (Washington Game)

They play a fairly challenging game against Hawaii this week so I'll wait to see what happens in that game to draw conclusions but a 3 point win against Eastern Washington is pretty unimpressive even if they are the defending FCS champs.

It's a home game so I really like our chances. Hawaii's record on the road against BCS schools is 2-7 since 2005.

Yes we were statistically dominated in everything besides turnovers and special teams. But a win is a win. And Keith Price and Chris Polk both looked great even though both were playing through significant injuries.

I'll give you the fact that Polk was playing through a big injury, but even Sark said Price's injury was no big deal.

I think what's most concerning is that the Huskies don't seem to have any respect for the opponents they face. I don't know if this is a cultural thing under Sarkisian or if the team just takes this on themselves, but there were strong words flying at the Huskers even during pre-game warmups last September - and it wasn't limited to just the players, it was the assistant coaches, too. That's most troubling.

And it's not just Nebraska that Washington seems to feel the need to vent their spleen at:

And after the game, the smack talk continued. Eastern Washington wide receiver Brandon Kaufman went straight for the jugular with this little dandy.

"It makes me feel empty," he said. "We’re a good football team and we should be respected. They didn’t respect us at all. They’re an arrogant group."

LINK

That's a sad thing to hear about the Huskies. I would hope for more respect for their opponents.

Yes we were statistically dominated in everything besides turnovers and special teams. But a win is a win. And Keith Price and Chris Polk both looked great even though both were playing through significant injuries.

I'll give you the fact that Polk was playing through a big injury, but even Sark said Price's injury was no big deal.

I think what's most concerning is that the Huskies don't seem to have any respect for the opponents they face. I don't know if this is a cultural thing under Sarkisian or if the team just takes this on themselves, but there were strong words flying at the Huskers even during pre-game warmups last September - and it wasn't limited to just the players, it was the assistant coaches, too. That's most troubling.

And it's not just Nebraska that Washington seems to feel the need to vent their spleen at:

And after the game, the smack talk continued. Eastern Washington wide receiver Brandon Kaufman went straight for the jugular with this little dandy.

"It makes me feel empty," he said. "We’re a good football team and we should be respected. They didn’t respect us at all. They’re an arrogant group."

LINK

That's a sad thing to hear about the Huskies. I would hope for more respect for their opponents.

Trash talk is a part of football, if you don't like it then I suggest you watch women's tennis.

LINK

Trash talk is a part of football, if you don't like it then I suggest you watch women's tennis.

Kaufman was just mad that his directional school outplayed the big guy and still lost.

LINK

Kaufman was just mad that his directional school outplayed the big guy and still lost.

Agree 100%. We were outplayed no doubt about it... EWU just made mistakes when it mattered the most.

I just want to see your guys take on the game from your perspective.

Our new offense looked sloppy at times in the opener, we'll know a little more after next week. Teams usually make their biggest jump between week 1 and week 2. Even if our offense isn't running like a well oiled machine by week 3 (which I would doubt anyways), I still don't see this game being close. Nebraska just outmatches Washington in the talent department by a hefty margin. And I have to assume they're pissed about the Holiday Bowl. I say it'll be a massacree. Welcome to the board. It's nice having UW fans around who aren't just here to troll. Good luck this season.

I think the games outcome is solely dependent on how our defense does. Our offense shouldn't have problems getting 20-30 points but our defense needs to play much better than they did against EWU 2 days ago. If we give that much open space off the line of scrimmage for easy 5-10 yard passes then there's no way we win. I think though that Holt will have them ready and it should be a game that goes down to the wire. We already shut down Nebraska's offense once so I think we have a blueprint of how to do it again.

You forgot:

I think the games outcome is solely dependent on how our defense does. Our offense shouldn't have problems getting 20-30 points :sarcasm but our defense needs to play much better than they did against EWU 2 days ago. If we give that much open space off the line of scrimmage for easy 5-10 yard passes then there's no way we win. I think though that Holt will have them ready and it should be a game that goes down to the wire. We already shut down Nebraska's offense once so I think we have a blueprint of how to do it again.

LINK

:laughpound

That's cute.

Oh also... what do you guys think about the Pac-12 possibly getting Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State forming the Pac-16?

You take Texas, you had damned well better put them on a SHORT leash. Ask Colorado what they think about Texas. Ask Arkansas. Anyone can say Nebraska is bitter because Texas beat our butts nine out of ten times or whatever their record against us is, but the reality is that Texas is pretty much the sole reason the Southwest Conference broke up in the 1990s and the reason the Big XII is about to implode.

You would be fine taking Oklahoma, OK Lite and Texas Tech. They're all fine schools, and good sports programs. They get along well with others. But no joke - you should not be in favor of Texas joining your conference, no matter how deep their pockets are.

Oh also... what do you guys think about the Pac-12 possibly getting Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State forming the Pac-16?

don't know if 16 team leagues work. Do you know what destroyed the WAC 16?

As far as Texas - put them on a little probation period of say 50 years. Any hint of "bending" the league rules would cause automatic expulsion. Assign the LA bureau of the FBI to strict survalance of Austin Texas. Spend 50% of league revenues on a crack team of lawyers to draw up an iron-clad contract and keep them on to watch them whorns

If I were a PAC 12 fan, I don't think I'd like it. Oklahoma and Texas aren't PAC 12 schools, they don't match the culture of the PAC 12, and adding them means fewer showdowns between true PAC 12 teams, like Oregon-Stanford or Washington-USC or whatever.

As a Nebraska fan, I'm mostly indifferent. I'm happy with where Nebraska is, and I'm happy that the Big Ten appears as if it's not going to just automatically rush up to 16 teams even if other conferences do so. I could also get pretty amped about Nebraska playing Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl. But really, I'm pretty indifferent.