ShaggyBevo: Texas and Notre Dame Super Conference

If UT came into the big 10, I can guarantee that after Jim retired, UT would have his seat and then UT would implode yet another conference less then 15 yrs. Making that 3 within 50 yrs to their belt.

If any conference takes UT, let it be the PAC12, Noone cares about them anyway.

Honestly i think they are just talking about Texas but really never give it any serious thought. There's too many problems other than Texas being a power hungry institution. For one thing Ohio St and Michigan i don't see being pushed around and told what to do and how things are going to be. The Big10 is very united and i see us all sticking together to push anyone out that thinks they can do whatever. Texas doesn't fit culturally and that's too important for a conference to be viable. Plus the more teams leaving and saying it's because of Texas the less likely they will be considered a real applicant. Texas will be in a world of hurt when they find out that no one likes a bully.

If UT came into the big 10, I can guarantee that after Jim retired, UT would have his seat and then UT would implode yet another conference less then 15 yrs. Making that 3 within 50 yrs to their belt.

If any conference takes UT, let it be the PAC12, Noone cares about them anyway.

Honestly i think they are just talking about Texas but really never give it any serious thought. There's too many problems other than Texas being a power hungry institution. For one thing Ohio St and Michigan i don't see being pushed around and told what to do and how things are going to be. The Big10 is very united and i see us all sticking together to push anyone out that thinks they can do whatever. Texas doesn't fit culturally and that's too important for a conference to be viable. Plus the more teams leaving and saying it's because of Texas the less likely they will be considered a real applicant. Texas will be in a world of hurt when they find out that no one likes a bully.

Plus the B1G with our successful network doesn't need the money Texas brings. We're not exactly cash strapped as is.

Word on the street (rumor) is that both are now interested in joining the Big Ten. This would be great if it happens but I remember all of the wild speculation from a year ago about Texas & ND joining the Big Ten. I would like to see it happen along with OU & VT, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Mark my words, not great. Anyone who has been in a conference with Texas would not be happy about them joining a league they are in again. If you are wondering why, talk to Arkansas (or any of the ex-SWC teams Texas left in a still smoldering crater), us, and A&M. Obviously some people might think A&M has a little brother complex so their word is tainted, it's not.

I know the big ten members all think "we'll never let Texas run our league."

They'll start by asking for special considerations. You know like "hey why don't we go ahead and rotate the conference ccg down to jerry's world once in awhile" or "you know with all these extra games we'll probably need some new referees, the big 12 refs aren't doing anything now that we left, we'll fly them up from dallas."

Whatever, they just want something to prove they are better then everyone else so you think, meh what the hell, it is a lot more money and a big recruiting state so what's the harm in employing a couple refs out of dallas?

Then they start asking for a little bit more (or in the case of the big 12) get something like a ccg moved, offices moved *I'd put money on trying to get satellite offices down in dallas and/or austin working with ESPN a bit, since "hey we've already built this nice studio"*. Then they start holding the rest of the members hostage. "Indiana you like basketball right? well how would you like to have all the basketball tournements in Indianapolis, just vote with us when it comes time to give jerry's world a chance at more ccgs."

They don't work towards ends of anyone but Texas and once they gain just enough favor you'd see them support someone for Conference Commissioner, right out of the mold of Dan Beebe. He might seem well mannered with a lifetime of NCAA experience. What you don't see is he's got the Texas Athletic Director's hand up his ass like a sock puppet.

Read some of the tweets coming out of the people covering the big 12 offices over the last 24 hours, specifically tweets like this "@kbohls: Texas AD DeLoss Dodds told me the UT staff 'is working on 20 names' for possible replacements for Texas A&M." They aren't even hiding who actually runs the show anymore. So either Beebe is crying in the fetal position in the corner somewhere or Dodds and the Texas AD has been running the show since the big 12 voted down creating their own network and the commissioner before Beebe bolted.

These people don't work towards common goals to better institutions they align with as equals. Nobody is Texas's equal in their eyes and I'd bet ND is exactly the same with double the ego since they are "National." They constantly work angles. Their real game isn't on the field, it's in their Athletic Department, trying to gain as much political power as possible just to let everyone around them know that they are better then you and they are running the show. Eventually when they actually are, they'll start flirting with the SEC or PAC again. While their conference implodes with what proud teams are left looking for somewhere to go without them. Texas's athletic department is a cancer that festers on every league its been a part of.

Might take 50 or 100 years in the big ten's case, since they cant make demands like the formation of the big 12 (but they'll try). It will happen though.

Ohh and just for fun, once someone gets sick of them and sacks up and leaves, those Dallas refs will make sure you get what Texas thinks you deserve on the football field. Ohh and they are running the AAU committee that votes to kick members out too. So enjoy that last parting shot at your dignity on your way out the door if they can manage it. Along with some disparaging press out of fox sports, Dallas Morning News, the statesman and orange-bloods.

Yeah Texas could make 'concessions' and join this conference, maybe even talk ND into it as some sort of prize (it's really a package deal bargaining chip to try and make bigger demands for entrance). If they actually wanted in as an equal, they'd just ditch their network and say "sign me up." They won't do that. ND won't either I'd imagine.

This has my vote for post of the year. Well done sir!

Word on the street (rumor) is that both are now interested in joining the Big Ten. This would be great if it happens but I remember all of the wild speculation from a year ago about Texas & ND joining the Big Ten. I would like to see it happen along with OU & VT, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Mark my words, not great. Anyone who has been in a conference with Texas would not be happy about them joining a league they are in again. If you are wondering why, talk to Arkansas (or any of the ex-SWC teams Texas left in a still smoldering crater), us, and A&M. Obviously some people might think A&M has a little brother complex so their word is tainted, it's not.

I know the big ten members all think "we'll never let Texas run our league."

They'll start by asking for special considerations. You know like "hey why don't we go ahead and rotate the conference ccg down to jerry's world once in awhile" or "you know with all these extra games we'll probably need some new referees, the big 12 refs aren't doing anything now that we left, we'll fly them up from dallas."

Whatever, they just want something to prove they are better then everyone else so you think, meh what the hell, it is a lot more money and a big recruiting state so what's the harm in employing a couple refs out of dallas?

Then they start asking for a little bit more (or in the case of the big 12) get something like a ccg moved, offices moved *I'd put money on trying to get satellite offices down in dallas and/or austin working with ESPN a bit, since "hey we've already built this nice studio"*. Then they start holding the rest of the members hostage. "Indiana you like basketball right? well how would you like to have all the basketball tournements in Indianapolis, just vote with us when it comes time to give jerry's world a chance at more ccgs."

They don't work towards ends of anyone but Texas and once they gain just enough favor you'd see them support someone for Conference Commissioner, right out of the mold of Dan Beebe. He might seem well mannered with a lifetime of NCAA experience. What you don't see is he's got the Texas Athletic Director's hand up his ass like a sock puppet.

Read some of the tweets coming out of the people covering the big 12 offices over the last 24 hours, specifically tweets like this "@kbohls: Texas AD DeLoss Dodds told me the UT staff 'is working on 20 names' for possible replacements for Texas A&M." They aren't even hiding who actually runs the show anymore. So either Beebe is crying in the fetal position in the corner somewhere or Dodds and the Texas AD has been running the show since the big 12 voted down creating their own network and the commissioner before Beebe bolted.

These people don't work towards common goals to better institutions they align with as equals. Nobody is Texas's equal in their eyes and I'd bet ND is exactly the same with double the ego since they are "National." They constantly work angles. Their real game isn't on the field, it's in their Athletic Department, trying to gain as much political power as possible just to let everyone around them know that they are better then you and they are running the show. Eventually when they actually are, they'll start flirting with the SEC or PAC again. While their conference implodes with what proud teams are left looking for somewhere to go without them. Texas's athletic department is a cancer that festers on every league its been a part of.

Might take 50 or 100 years in the big ten's case, since they cant make demands like the formation of the big 12 (but they'll try). It will happen though.

Ohh and just for fun, once someone gets sick of them and sacks up and leaves, those Dallas refs will make sure you get what Texas thinks you deserve on the football field. Ohh and they are running the AAU committee that votes to kick members out too. So enjoy that last parting shot at your dignity on your way out the door if they can manage it. Along with some disparaging press out of fox sports, Dallas Morning News, the statesman and orange-bloods.

Yeah Texas could make 'concessions' and join this conference, maybe even talk ND into it as some sort of prize (it's really a package deal bargaining chip to try and make bigger demands for entrance). If they actually wanted in as an equal, they'd just ditch their network and say "sign me up." They won't do that. ND won't either I'd imagine.

NU voted against the Big 8 schools when it voted against renue sharing. There was an 11-1 vote, but NU and UT voted together .The remaining Big 8 schools voted for a conf Champ game because it generated extra revenue. The Big 12 champ game was palyed in KC and the weather was awful. Conf champ games will be palyed in domes. The game should have alternated between Dallas and St. Lous. Dallas can hold 90k while I think ST Louis holds 65k? Still, should have alternated.

The Big 12 HQ in Dallas does not benefit UT anymore then the HQ in KC benefited Mizzou. OU is a few miles closer to Dallas then Austin yet it somehow doesn't benefit OU

Same with Aggie. UT is not making decisions for Aggie. The Aggie brand falling behind UT is what Aggie didn't do and not anything UT is doing to Aggie.

OU does not have their head stuck up UT's arse. OU will do what is best for OU. The 2nd largest Mizzou Alumn is located in Dallas. That is probably the same for OU. If Mizzou, OU, etc find a situation that brings more benefit to their school don't think they won't jump on it. There is no such thing as these schools following UT. They are acting in their own self serving interest.

NU never took the old Big 8 schools in consideration when NU decided what NU needed to do. Every school in the Big 12 voted in thier best interest and not the best interest in the Conf.

Edit - Removed something things I shouldn't say.

It's not about revenue sharing, but I think we'd all agree now that it doesn't help the stability there. The culture of the big 12 was basically one big measuring contest originally. It was a mistake and absolutely counterproductive towards building a strong conference basically having a bunch of teams vying for power. If it makes you feel better you won.

If you don't think that proximity helps Dodds pull the puppet strings on his commissioner, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Like I told my sister years ago after helping her move 5 times in a year because her "roommates were awful." It might be you.

So Hookem, when you have 1 failed conference and another on the brink of collapse in under 20 years and a couple handfuls of teams that would love to avoid your athletic department ever being connected to their conferences, it might just be you.

• Fire 2

Texas fans are delusional.

Of course everyone is acting in the best interest of their schools. Apparently it is in Texas' best interest to seek so much power that they drive other schools out of their conference. I'm going to miss playing Oklahoma and Missouri and Kansas, and I hate Texas for that, and nothing any Longhorn fan says about capitalism is going to change that. Nebraska didn't drive realignment, we didn't start this- Texas did. They flirted with three different conferences. They made the Big 12 so unstable we had to look at our options. We had to take care of ourselves long-term since the Big 12 apparently couldn't do that, and Texas is the reason why.

• Fire 1

Texas fans are delusional.

Of course everyone is acting in the best interest of their schools. Apparently it is in Texas' best interest to seek so much power that they drive other schools out of their conference. I'm going to miss playing Oklahoma and Missouri and Kansas, and I hate Texas for that, and nothing any Longhorn fan says about capitalism is going to change that. Nebraska didn't drive realignment, we didn't start this- Texas did. They flirted with three different conferences. They made the Big 12 so unstable we had to look at our options. We had to take care of ourselves long-term since the Big 12 apparently couldn't do that, and Texas is the reason why.

this...Texass wants nothing more than the total rape and destruction of college football.

It's not about revenue sharing, but I think we'd all agree now that it doesn't help the stability there. The culture of the big 12 was basically one big measuring contest originally. It was a mistake and absolutely counterproductive towards building a strong conference basically having a bunch of teams vying for power. If it makes you feel better you won.

If you don't think that proximity helps Dodds pull the puppet strings on his commissioner, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Like I told my sister years ago after helping her move 5 times in a year because her "roommates were awful." It might be you.

So Hookem, when you have 1 failed conference and another on the brink of collapse in under 20 years and a couple handfuls of teams that would love to avoid your athletic department ever being connected to their conferences, it might just be you.

The break up of the SWC was a bit before my time, but from what I understand it was a conference that deteriated into scandals and with Arky leaving it pretty much sealed the deal. Arky did well in the SWC, but being the only non Texas school the SEC made more sense. Also having UT, Aggie, TT, SMU, TCU, Baylor, and Houston all in a major conference all from the same state just yells trouble as college football kept growing. There is plenty of blame to passed around. The only other schools I hear blamed on this site is SMU only because of the ESPN 60 show. Aggie bought the car for Erick Dickerson, but SMU picked up the payments. Amazing story. Which is why the Big12 needs to keep Houston and TCU out. TCU has a great setup in the Big East. Leave TCU alone. If the Big 12 expands, go out of the conference. It will lessen the stress on the non Texas schools and expand the geography. I would love to see Boise join. BYU not so excited about and ND is not coming to the Big 12. ND may be interested in a alignment of independent schools or one day join the B1G.

No, I don't think the HQ being in Dallas makes a difference. With today's mass media and fast travel contacting Dallas is no different then contacting Los Angeles.

Texas didn't win anything. We lost the flagship school of the Big 12 North. NU lost 100 year rivalries with Big 8 schools. Conf realignment isn't a good thing. Traditions that have been around forever dissapear overnight. Never good.

Revenue sharing I'll always be 50/50 on. It helps the conference, but then if a school spends millions building their brand they loose money sharing with schools who don't. One day I'm for revenue sharing the next not so much. I haven't really followed Big 12 voting, but it is my understanding everything NU voted against they agreed to in the B1G. I could be wrong.

But as I said I believe all schools act in a self serving interest in this day of huge college money.

There is no agenda to hold the other schools down. Aggie, NU, OU, Mizzou all make their own decisions. In the late 80's early 90's the Aggie brand was ahead of Texas. Due to coaches not working out at College Station and with the hiring of Mack Brown UT leaped back ahead of Aggie. I can now drive around town and visit a UT coop store 300 miles from Austin. There are no Aggie stores that I know of in Dallas. As a non advertising or business major I would think it would make sense to get the Aggie brand in Dallas.

Also if I remember correctly 3-4ish Aggie games were not on TV this past season. From what I've read this is because Aggie powers didn't want to delute the stadium gameday experience. Don't quote me on that. I also would think Aggie would/should have shopped around and put the game on versus or pay per view to help their brand. I believe this is a dropping of the ball by Aggie. Get the games on TV and recuits will be watching.

All Texas ATM needs to do is continue winning, get all their games on tv, beat Texas, win the Big 12 and they will move back infront of UT.

Also I'm on the record as I've already stated that the LHN is going to be underwhelming. I would rather see it go away. Longhorn Sports center on Fox SW is terrible and I don't see the LHN really doing much more.

You can't read Shaggybevo and get a good understanding on how most people feel. It is pretty much site that is dominated by, well I'm not going to say. The one site I enjoyed turned into a pay site. The people I know don't read forums, don't want to go independent, and don't have any hard feelings toward NU. There was an excitment about joining that Pac-12 last year.

Revenue sharing I'll always be 50/50 on. It helps the conference, but then if a school spends millions building their brand they loose money sharing with schools who don't. One day I'm for revenue sharing the next not so much. I haven't really followed Big 12 voting, but it is my understanding everything NU voted against they agreed to in the B1G. I could be wrong.

You still don't get the concept of a conference, do you? Go independent.

After talking with sOme TCU people, they will not be joining a conference with UT. Not because they don't want the same treatment, but they are saying UT doesn't want them in the conference. Hell, UT won't even accept to play another game with TCU after their last meeting.