Bo says Brion Carnes number 2 QB

Those two qbs has potential in cfb Persa can only dream of.

Your unbelievable. Persa will be making millions while T-Mart is doing whatever he earns a degree in. I don't think Persa cares if hes faster than T-Mart when he's wiping his ace with hundred dollar bills.

What about his unbelievable? ;)

Where do millions of dollars come into this conversation? Did we suddenly become Miami or something?

We're talking COLLEGE football. Persa is, by far, a better candidate for the pros than either Shoelace or T-Magic. But we're not talking about the NFL here. We're talking about COLLEGE.

Okay, so your saying you'd rather have T-mart as our starting QB than Dan Persa? Sorry, but if we had Dan Persa, even Blaine Gabbert for that matter, the last two seasons, we'd be hoisting the crystal trophy. This isn't the 80's/90's anymore, you can't just run, run, run. You have to have a QB who is somewhat of a passing threat. Here come the Wisconsin comments. Sorry, but Tolzien was/is a much better passer than T-mart is. Oregon lost the MNC last year bc of Thomas's inability to pass the football.

Successfully running the ball is the direction we're going. If you don't like it, watch the NFL.

How do you "know" we're NCs with Persa? Have you even watched NU games the last couple of years? Our wrs could have dropped his passes just as easily as they did Tmart's or Lee's.

Those two qbs has potential in cfb Persa can only dream of.

Your unbelievable. Persa will be making millions while T-Mart is doing whatever he earns a degree in. I don't think Persa cares if hes faster than T-Mart when he's wiping his ace with hundred dollar bills.

What about his unbelievable? ;)

Where do millions of dollars come into this conversation? Did we suddenly become Miami or something?

We're talking COLLEGE football. Persa is, by far, a better candidate for the pros than either Shoelace or T-Magic. But we're not talking about the NFL here. We're talking about COLLEGE.

Okay, so your saying you'd rather have T-mart as our starting QB than Dan Persa? Sorry, but if we had Dan Persa, even Blaine Gabbert for that matter, the last two seasons, we'd be hoisting the crystal trophy. This isn't the 80's/90's anymore, you can't just run, run, run. You have to have a QB who is somewhat of a passing threat. Here come the Wisconsin comments. Sorry, but Tolzien was/is a much better passer than T-mart is. Oregon lost the MNC last year bc of Thomas's inability to pass the football.

Successfully running the ball is the direction we're going. If you don't like it, watch the NFL.

How do you "know" we're NCs with Persa? Have you even watched NU games the last couple of years? Our wrs could have dropped his passes just as easily as they did Tmart's or Lee's.

We will never be successful unless Martinez becomes a legitimate passing threat. Teams will stack the box every game and force us to pass. Watch and see. Chattanooga won't be able to stop our run attack, but OSU will. Martinez will need to throw in that game and quite frankly, I don't think he will be successful against OSU.

And as for your second point, why do you think no highly recruited WR's want to come here? If we had Dan Persa, Blaine Gabbert or Andrew Luck type QB, we'd have more interest from highly touted WR's. And no, I have not watched one NU game in the past couple seasons, so I don't know how we play.

We will never be successful unless Martinez becomes a legitimate passing threat. Teams will stack the box every game and force us to pass. Watch and see. Chattanooga won't be able to stop our run attack, but OSU will. Martinez will need to throw in that game and quite frankly, I don't think he will be successful against OSU.

And as for your second point, why do you think no highly recruited WR's want to come here? If we had Dan Persa, Blaine Gabbert or Andrew Luck type QB, we'd have more interest from highly touted WR's. And no, I have not watched one NU game in the past couple seasons, so I don't know how we play.

So.... are you just watching old clips of SportsCenter before our 90s title run and regurgitating everything they said? You sound just like those guys. "You can't win if you don't pass, blah, blah, blah."

What's next, Nebraska can't win on grass? ;)

Here's a really funny stat for you. Guess which team had these rankings last year:

Rushing Offense: #5

Passing Offense: #66

I'll give you a hint: They most likely paid for their star player.

We didn't lose all those games last year because we had a QB who "couldn't pass," we lost them because our O Line was atrocious. And we'll lose again this year if our O Line isn't any better, even if Taylor Martinez turns into Joe Montana over the summer.

So.... are you just watching old clips of SportsCenter before our 90s title run and regurgitating everything they said? You sound just like those guys. "You can't win if you don't pass, blah, blah, blah."

What's next, Nebraska can't win on grass? ;)

Here's a really funny stat for you. Guess which team had these rankings last year:

Rushing Offense: #5

Passing Offense: #66

I'll give you a hint: They most likely paid for their star player.

We didn't lose all those games last year because we had a QB who "couldn't pass," we lost them because our O Line was atrocious. And we'll lose again this year if our O Line isn't any better, even if Taylor Martinez turns into Joe Montana over the summer.

No Sportscenter, but I have been watching championship teams the past few years and see what kinds of offenses they run. All of them were run first, but the QB was able to pass the ball when called upon.

Okay, you want to compare Auburn and Nebraska.

Cam Newton: 185/280 66.1& 2854 yrds. 30 TD 7 INT.

Taylor Martinez: 116/196 59.2% 1631 yrds. 10 TD 7 INT.

Cam Newton was just as good a passer as runner. And he WAS that team. I don't know what their O-line looked like, but we will see how Auburn does this year without Newton. ONE player can make a huge difference. just ask Texas.

Cam Newton was just as good a passer as runner. And he WAS that team. I don't know what their O-line looked like, but we will see how Auburn does this year without Newton. ONE player can make a huge difference. just ask Texas.

Keep pretending you think Auburn's receivers dropped as many decent/good/perfect passes as Nebraska's did. Keep pretending Martinez didn't have a debilitating injury but was asked to play in the games anyway.

• Fire 1

Keep pretending you think Auburn's receivers dropped as many decent/good/perfect passes as Nebraska's did. Keep pretending Martinez didn't have a debilitating injury but was asked to play in the games anyway.

Sorry, Taylor and Cam are not remotely comparable.

No. Oregon lost the MNC game last year because their offensive line couldn't handle Nick Fairley, who blew up their read option all night and prevented them from RUNNING the ball into the endzone when they were inside the 5 yard line. Or you could also say they lost because of a ridiculously unlucky play in the final minute of the game where Auburn's running back rolled over an Oregon defender, and then ran for about 40 more yards while Oregon's defense thought the play was dead. Darron Thomas was 27/40 for 363 yards, threw 2 TDs and 2 INT for a QB rating of 150.2 which was better than Cam Newton's 137.8. They did NOT lose the MNC because of Darron Thomas's passing ability.

To say that if we had Persa instead of Martinez, we'd have won the last two national championships is an unbelievably shallow thought. First of all, Persa was injured at the end of last year even worse than Martinez was, and there are more questions about Persa's health right now than there are about Martinez. Furthermore, having Persa in our backfield wouldn't have made our offensive line better, and it wouldn't have prevented all of our skill position players from dropping the ball. QB play was far from being our only problem on offense in 2009 or 2010.

Right now, if they were both at full health, Dan Persa is probably a better all-around QB than Martinez. But I don't think he's that far ahead, and Martinez's passing game isn't nearly as big a liability as people make it out to be. I don't know if it's because we're Nebraska, and people are used to saying, "Well, hey can run the ball, but their QB can't pass," since they said it over and over and over again all throughout the Osborne era (and were almost always proven wrong). Martinez needs to show improvement this year, but we need the TEAM to play at a championship level, we need every guy to step up, not just the QB.

That is very much not what she is saying.

Neat.

He's saying Auburn was able to pass because Newton could pass, and Nebraska wasn't able to pass because Martinez can't. Like the players surrounding them and dropped passes have no effect. To just post stats is not coming close to telling the whole story. I didn't say Martinez was as good as Cam Newton, but to pretend like those things I mentioned are unimportant in determining whether Martinez is a bad passer is silly. Defenses could protect against the pass more easily when he was hobbling around on one leg, and our receivers dropped an inordinate amount of good throws.

If Martinez is healthy this year, and we don't have the dropsies, and he sucks at passing, then I will have no problem with people saying he can't do it.

Cam Newton isn't comparable to anybody. He had one of the greatest single seasons in the history of the NCAA. He had a better season than Tommie Frazier or Eric Crouch or Tuner Gill or Scott Frost, too. Or Peyton Manning, or Tim Tebow, or Sam Bradford, or just about whoever you can think of. Just because Martinez wasn't Cam Newton in his freshman year is a ridiculous reason to believe he can't become a championship caliber QB.

It seems like every thread about our quarterbacks always devolves to this pissing match between two schools of thought about what Nebraska needs at quarterback. Regardless of which camp that you're in, let me remind you that Taylor Martinez had the best freshman year of any Husker quarterback in our history. Every national championship that we won was with quarterbacks that were far less stellar as freshman than Martinez. Give the kid a friggin' break. He was "freshman green" and played the latter part of the season injured--and we STILL got to the CCG. Even Jesus Christ was once a baby and filled his drawers......... Christ people, give him a chance before you nail him to the cross.

• Fire 1

People, I'm saying he needs to improve passing for us to be successful. Defenses are too big/fast these days to run the ball every down. Yes, he was injured, but his passing mechanics were that of a shot putter even before the injury. Im sure receivers dropped passes for every team this year, your thinking about ONE game where we dropped multiple passes. Will he get better? Who knows. But until he does, we will be average.

Even if we run through the Big 10 bc they are "too slow" as people say, guess who will be waiting for us in the MNC game, an SEC team. Fast and strong defenses. And why can't we compare Newton to Martinez? Newton sat the bench at Florida, played JUCO and played FBS one year. Martinez played scout team and started the next year. Newton had one more year experience. If Martinez throws the ball for 2,000 yards this year, I will never say another thing about him the rest of the time he is here.