Bo says Brion Carnes number 2 QB

I was pleased with TM’s accomplishments last year. That was a good year for a RS Freshmen QB. If he has the same type of year as a senior then I doubt many would characterize that as a good year. Hopefully as you pointed out he will continue to develop and improve with more time in the system.

Out of curiosity, what would you consider to be a "good year" by a senior? Joe Ganz' year? Zac Taylor's? Because Martinez, as a R-Freshman, had a similar year to their senior years. It's not a 1:1 comparison, but it's not far off.

I would be more than pleased if Taylor led this team for four years and even slightly improved on his stats each year.

In what ways do you suppose it was similar? I see more differences than I do similarities, but I'd like to see your thoughts.

Also, does that mean Alex Henery didn't do so alright as compared to previous award-winning kickers? :P

I was pleased with TM’s accomplishments last year. That was a good year for a RS Freshmen QB. If he has the same type of year as a senior then I doubt many would characterize that as a good year. Hopefully as you pointed out he will continue to develop and improve with more time in the system.

Out of curiosity, what would you consider to be a "good year" by a senior? Joe Ganz' year? Zac Taylor's? Because Martinez, as a R-Freshman, had a similar year to their senior years. It's not a 1:1 comparison, but it's not far off.

I would be more than pleased if Taylor led this team for four years and even slightly improved on his stats each year.

They are different style QB's so it's tough to compare. He doesn't need to have others passing yards or passing TD's to measure up as long as he's moving the chains and scoring points. That said I would like to see his completion percentage and TD/Turnover ratio improve. Ganz 2008 had close to a 70% completion percentage and a much better TD/TO ratio. Again though I don’t expect TM to have those numbers after one season. That was Ganz’s best season and he was a senior.

all the eggs in TM's basket again........1 good QB with experience,1 good RB with experience, an offensive line that is questionable, defense gonna have to play lights out...again this year.....sigh

^^^This^^^. Add in new O.C. and question marks at receiver.

Also I know I will get slammed for this but I haven't seen enough from TM to call him good yet. To me Joe Ganz qualified as good. I'd kill to have Ganz and swift back with our current D.

People expect too much out of Martinez, like they expect him to be as good as Tim Tebow, McCoy or Frazier were for their teams. It's easy to forget, but Martinez came here as a QB and was slated as a possible safety too. If you had told me a couple of years ago that Martinez would eventually be the starting quarterback, I probably would have laughed in your face.

We don't have the talent pool of a Florida or Texas, and those three quarterbacks I mentioned (especially Tebow and Frazier) are once in a generation players for their universities in many cases. Now, I'm not saying that's who you expect him to be, but when people say they haven't seen enough from TM to call him good yet, I'm curious as to exactly what they're waiting for.

Running/athlete type QBs who can play the position as well as those guys did are just rare.

I suppose the argument is, if you're going to be a running/athlete QB and start, you had better play the position that well, or you can end up being a liability. Taylor doesn't have many years of experience being QB period. Will that be an ongoing issue?

Running/athlete type QBs who can play the position as well as those guys did are just rare.

I suppose the argument is, if you're going to be a running/athlete QB and start, you had better play the position that well, or you can end up being a liability. Taylor doesn't have many years of experience being QB period. Will that be an ongoing issue?

They're not that rare. Cam Newton, Darron Thomas, and Denard Robinson were those guys last year. Florida went right from Chris Leak to Tim Tebow. Nebraska went from Tommie Frazier (national champion) to Scott Frost (national champion) to Eric Crouch (Heisman). That's just off the top of my head, there are way more out there.

Any one of those guys are players that teams could win national championship with, even though they're not all Tommie Frazier. That kind of player is no more rare than a great pocket passer.

"but when people say they haven't seen enough from TM to call him good yet, I'm curious as to exactly what they're waiting for"

I would be happy with Dan Persa's passing stats. I'm hopeful TM will grow into that with experience.

Qbs like Tmart/DRob run circles around Persa. What are the odds Persa "grows" into greased lightning? That's right.....zero.

Those two qbs has potential in cfb Persa can only dream of.

"but when people say they haven't seen enough from TM to call him good yet, I'm curious as to exactly what they're waiting for"

I would be happy with Dan Persa's passing stats. I'm hopeful TM will grow into that with experience.

Qbs like Tmart/DRob run circles around Persa. What are the odds Persa "grows" into greased lightning? That's right.....zero.

Your unbelievable. Persa will be making millions while T-Mart is doing whatever he earns a degree in. I don't think Persa cares if hes faster than T-Mart when he's wiping his ace with hundred dollar bills.

Your unbelievable. Persa will be making millions while T-Mart is doing whatever he earns a degree in. I don't think Persa cares if hes faster than T-Mart when he's wiping his ace with hundred dollar bills.

What about his unbelievable? ;)

Where do millions of dollars come into this conversation? Did we suddenly become Miami or something?

We're talking COLLEGE football. Persa is, by far, a better candidate for the pros than either Shoelace or T-Magic. But we're not talking about the NFL here. We're talking about COLLEGE.

What about his unbelievable? ;)

Where do millions of dollars come into this conversation? Did we suddenly become Miami or something?

We're talking COLLEGE football. Persa is, by far, a better candidate for the pros than either Shoelace or T-Magic. But we're not talking about the NFL here. We're talking about COLLEGE.

Okay, so your saying you'd rather have T-mart as our starting QB than Dan Persa? Sorry, but if we had Dan Persa, even Blaine Gabbert for that matter, the last two seasons, we'd be hoisting the crystal trophy. This isn't the 80's/90's anymore, you can't just run, run, run. You have to have a QB who is somewhat of a passing threat. Here come the Wisconsin comments. Sorry, but Tolzien was/is a much better passer than T-mart is. Oregon lost the MNC last year bc of Thomas's inability to pass the football.