Barney Cotton to help Beck coach from the booth, not the sidelines

knapplc

Absolutely those were comments meant to distance the current regime from the past, but my God - can you blame them? The Pederson Era was the single biggest crime in this football program's history. It deserves mountains of scorn, heaps of derision, and it gets.... next to nothing.

And you seem to be conveniently forgetting the internal - and overtly external - messages from 2002-2007. NOTHING coming out of Stadium Drive today is even remotely as bad as what Pederson and Callahan were generating regarding Frank's era, and even going so far as to denounce the Osborne years. You either are ignorant of that or you agree with that, but regardless, you cannot cry about the commentary of the Pederson Era without first putting it into context.

Pederson distanced himself from the past of this program and I understand that and in some respects, again, SOME, I did agree with it. Osborne cast a large shadow over this program, Nebraska football needed to get out from under that shadow in some respects, because that staff and the folks who built that program weren't here any longer.

What has always rubbed me the wrong way about this is how upset people were when Steve did these things and when similar events go down a few years later that are "in favor" they are suddenly alright. It comes back to the hypocrisy. Much like the criticisms of the walk-on program under Callahan/Pederson. Callahan was so evil, they cut the walk-on program and Bo came to "save it", but in reality, nothing has really changed with it. It was simple gasbagging rhetoric so that the new staff could play "Joe-Hero"

There is a way to distance yourself from previous regimes without tossing them under the bus. I don't care how incompetent or successful things were seen.

• Fire 1

Absolutely those were comments meant to distance the current regime from the past, but my God - can you blame them? The Pederson Era was the single biggest crime in this football program's history. It deserves mountains of scorn, heaps of derision, and it gets.... next to nothing.

And you seem to be conveniently forgetting the internal - and overtly external - messages from 2002-2007. NOTHING coming out of Stadium Drive today is even remotely as bad as what Pederson and Callahan were generating regarding Frank's era, and even going so far as to denounce the Osborne years. You either are ignorant of that or you agree with that, but regardless, you cannot cry about the commentary of the Pederson Era without first putting it into context.

Pederson distanced himself from the past of this program and I understand that and in some respects, again, SOME, I did agree with it. Osborne cast a large shadow over this program, Nebraska football needed to get out from under that shadow in some respects, because that staff and the folks who built that program weren't here any longer.

What has always rubbed me the wrong way about this is how upset people were when Steve did these things and when similar events go down a few years later that are "in favor" they are suddenly alright. It comes back to the hypocrisy. Much like the criticisms of the walk-on program under Callahan/Pederson. Callahan was so evil, they cut the walk-on program and Bo came to "save it", but in reality, nothing has really changed with it. It was simple gasbagging rhetoric so that the new staff could play "Joe-Hero"

There is a way to distance yourself from previous regimes without tossing them under the bus. I don't care how incompetent or successful things were seen.

Yep...like it or not...its all part of our history.

This time around we are in year 4 (talking about Barney again) and while we have gotten some good rated recruits, it seems that they don't hit their potential. Now that could be the recruiting services being off base as we all know they can be, but with the results to this point, it has to be coaching because nobody has that bad of luck to have every OL miss their potential that they recruited.

Speaking specifically about the recruiting services comment here, I think we're back to a time in Husker history where you pretty much have to completely ignore the stars beside a kid's name when we recruit them. I'll put Bo's ability to analyze a kid's potential up against that of Scout or Rivals any day. If Bo recruits them, you can just about bet they're a five-star recruit for our system. And that distinction is all that matters.

Or they are family members that need a scholly like Marlowe. :LOLtartar

I wouldn't go as far as you, especially since he's a defensive coach so he needs someone with a good eye for talent on the offensive side to complement him. Hopefully that is Beck and we will be fine.

Not sure if you are truly serious with the Marlowe quote, smacks of the crowd against recruiting the Cotton clan rhetoric. In case you haven't been paying attention, Marlowe is a STARTER this year and has gotten quite a bit of unsolicited praise from players like Kinnie and the coaches. Quotes such as, "he may have had the best camp of anyone on the offense" came out without prodding. Sometimes I wonder why it is that fans will write a player off if they aren't a gamebreaker before their Junior year.

It has nothing to do with "hypocrisy." It has everything to do with a culture established in a program 40 years ago, perpetuated by one of the greatest college football coaches of all time, carried on by his successor (to a degree), and then purposefully trampled underfoot by a new regime. There is a Nebraska Way about our program, and that way is the right way. Trashing that culture in favor of some megalomaniac's "vision" is stupid, irresponsible and, as we saw, an abject failure.

This is not the Steve Pederson program. It is what it is - the Nebraska Football program. It is all right to remove the BS from our program that Pederson instilled. It is all right to get this ship right again. It is all right to state overtly that we were going in the wrong direction under Pederson, and it is all right to regain what we lost.

You can hero-worship Pederson and Callahan all you want. Wishing for that era, or that culture, to come back is futile.

It has nothing to do with "hypocrisy." It has everything to do with a culture established in a program 40 years ago, perpetuated by one of the greatest college football coaches of all time,

carried on by his successor (to a degree), and then purposefully trampled underfoot by a new regime. There is a Nebraska Way about our program, and that way is the right way. Trashing that culture in favor of some megalomaniac's "vision" is stupid, irresponsible and, as we saw, an abject failure.

This is not the Steve Pederson program. It is what it is - the Nebraska Football program. It is all right to remove the BS from our program that Pederson instilled. It is all right to get this ship right again. It is all right to state overtly that we were going in the wrong direction under Pederson, and it is all right to regain what we lost.

You can hero-worship Pederson and Callahan all you want. Wishing for that era, or that culture, to come back is futile.

Not only is it futile, it's sadist and self defeating.

Until he schedules somebody with a heartbeat, then IMO he's not doing what he's paid to do.

This statment makes it obvious you have no clue what he actually does.

That was a bit of a head-shaker for me, too. Not sure where that criticism even comes from. :blink:

I have been critical of Jamrog because of some boneheaded things he has done and said since getting here, and certainly his requirement that players call him "Coach" and his headset are just a few of the things that make him an oddball character. That being said, as an administrator he has been alright, and he actually took the time to respond to some critical emails after we announced some future schedules filled with patsy games. One of the first acts when he got here was to throw the previous scheduling/schedulers under the bus because they filled it with some easy games. There were direct quotes where he took shots at people like Tim Cassidy because of how the upcoming years looked, and here is today announcing some future non-conference schedules that are at best, on par with those that he inherited. Again, kind of goes back to the PR campaign waged when we transitioned to Pelini as our coach, everything and anything from the previous regime needed to receive the "slash and burn" treatment, because as we all know, not only was Bill Callahan and his staff bad a coaching, but they also performed abortions on the side and volunteered as puppy killers at the Lincoln pound. Yep, a group of baby and puppy killing no good people who couldn't coach worth a lick.

Somebody get it! :cheers

I agree with the fact the scheduling is weak but thats only a small part of what he actually does and its by far his largest criticism because its the most public. The reality is in the scheduling aspect he's more of a middle man. He makes the contacts to see who will listen but he doesn't really get to set the offer being made. He then has to spin what ever is given to him and see if he can make it work. His bashing of Cassidy was unfair because Steve P was the one who controlled the offers and who would work in the scheduling. Not a lot of that has changed. He's give a budget based on the team and unfortunately its pretty hard to get teams like Boise State to play for what we offer. One of the things that TO continually talks about is his frustration of teams to want so much to come play at NU. He has admitted he's been be somewhat reluctant or at the very least slow to adjust his thinking when it comes to that. That has hurt scheduling. At the same time I see where it comes from because you can't lose money to play someone either or at the very least you cant damage your budget. Besides the reality is that we could probably schedule UNK and it would still sell out so why cave to the high 6 or 7 figures to get teams that aren't that much better here.

That being said the real meat of Jamrog's job (probably 95% or more) does nothing with scheduling. It has more to do with logistics which is a nightmare with the numbers he has to deal with both team and prospect wise. He also is very key with walkons as well as instate recruiting and record compliance. Look at the number of Nebraska kids on the 2 deep. Many of the relationships that got those here started with Jamhrog.

They had Jamrog on Big Red Wrapup the other day and he did a good job. Talked about some of the travel changes in the B1G. Trying to identify the best places to stay and squad restrictions. I think the Big 12 had it right in the senior trip. Also I don't understand why the b1g would limit squad size for home games in regards to hotel. Regardless he had some interesting things to say. I liked Cassidy and wish he wouldn't of left.

This may be the best post on this topic I have ever seen on this topic.

It has nothing to do with "hypocrisy." It has everything to do with a culture established in a program 40 years ago, perpetuated by one of the greatest college football coaches of all time, carried on by his successor (to a degree), and then purposefully trampled underfoot by a new regime. There is a Nebraska Way about our program, and that way is the right way. Trashing that culture in favor of some megalomaniac's "vision" is stupid, irresponsible and, as we saw, an abject failure.

Where you are wrong is that you need to separate Peterson from Callahan. Callahan did have more than his fair share of stupid things that he said (2004 after CU) but getting mad because of the throat slash and calling OU fans hillbillies, then praising Bo for his lunacy on the sidelines is where the hypocrisy lies in the fan base. I will agree with 90% of the criticisms of Peterson with his biggest mistake being that he should have let Frank stay one more year so he could complete his failure since the 2004 had very little talent and no dept due to his crappy recruiting. Then Frank would have killed the last two streaks that we had at the time (KU and the Bowl Streak) then there wouldn't have been two sides to the fan base, it would have been behind getting rid of him after that year. But he listened to too many boosters after the KSU ass whipping in Lincoln that year. Then by saying that he wasn't going to allow OU and UT to take the conference put undeserved pressure on Callahan in his first year with very little to work with. Which is why he had to go the JUCO route after that year to get competitive in the conference.

Oh, I just mean, and not just today, you are coming down hard on Barney. I am in full agreement with you on that, though. I don't mean riled up.

Regarding that PR campaign though, there was definitely a concerted rhetoric effort. I don't know you could say that it was nefarious, it just rings fairly hollow. "Bringing Nebraska Back"...instead of looking to the future. Callahan failed here because he lost the team in '07 and didn't win enough, but not because of silly things like he didn't "get" Nebraska and Bo "does", or because he "destroyed" the walk-on program, things like that.

Once again well said. He failed because he couldn't fire one of his best friends in Cozgrove and that is what I hope doesn't happen to Bo. But I'm going to hold out hope that he sees the bigger picture and that he won't be able to win any championships with Barney on the coaching staff. Just as Callahan couldn't win anything with Cozgrove around.

Where you are wrong is that you need to separate Peterson from Callahan. Callahan did have more than his fair share of stupid things that he said (2004 after CU) but getting mad because of the throat slash and calling OU fans hillbillies, then praising Bo for his lunacy on the sidelines is where the hypocrisy lies in the fan base. I will agree with 90% of the criticisms of Peterson with his biggest mistake being that he should have let Frank stay one more year so he could complete his failure since the 2004 had very little talent and no dept due to his crappy recruiting. Then Frank would have killed the last two streaks that we had at the time (KU and the Bowl Streak) then there wouldn't have been two sides to the fan base, it would have been behind getting rid of him after that year. But he listened to too many boosters after the KSU ass whipping in Lincoln that year. Then by saying that he wasn't going to allow OU and UT to take the conference put undeserved pressure on Callahan in his first year with very little to work with. Which is why he had to go the JUCO route after that year to get competitive in the conference.

By and large, negativity about Callahan stems from the fact that he was a god awful coach. If Bo was anywhere near as bad as Callahan, he wouldn't get nearly as much slack. It may not be fair, but it's the way of the world.

By and large, negativity about Callahan stems from the fact that he was a god awful coach. If Bo was anywhere near as bad as Callahan, he wouldn't get nearly as much slack. It may not be fair, but it's the way of the world.

100% agree. Man, the Jets are terrible. Quite possibly the worst team in the NFL.

100% agree. Man, the Jets are terrible. Quite possibly the worst team in the NFL.

Who cares about the Jets or the NFL??

NU is "college" football.

Really? My God, you learn something new everyday, don't you?

Then specify, he is a bad COLLEGE coach, not he is a bad COACH. If you can find the word COLLEGE coach in his post, then I'll take back what I wrote. But guess what, you won't. Sorry.

Truth is, hes not a bad coach. He was a bad fit for Nebraska. That's all. Get over it, he's gone. And so is Shawn Watson and Ted Gilmore. So now you get to see if they were the actual problem.

Then specify, he is a bad COLLEGE coach, not he is a bad COACH. If you can find the word COLLEGE coach in his post, then I'll take back what I wrote. But guess what, you won't. Sorry.

Truth is, hes not a bad coach. He was a bad fit for Nebraska. That's all. Get over it, he's gone. And so is Shawn Watson and Ted Gilmore. So now you get to see if they were the problem.

He's a good offensive line coach. A down right lousy head coach. He proved that in college and pro. Sure, he took Gruden's Raiders to the Super Bowl (and got destroyed), but led them

to a sub .500 record the very next year. No need to rehash how he did everything in his power to destroy the program around here. He has no business ever being a head coach at either level, if someone decides he does, they'll get what they deserve.

Truth is, hes not a bad coach. He was a bad fit for Nebraska. That's all. Get over it, he's gone. And so is Shawn Watson and Ted Gilmore. So now you get to see if they were the problem.

He's a good offensive line coach. A down right lousy head coach. He proved that in college and pro. Sure, he took Gruden's Raiders to the Super Bowl (and got destroyed), but led them

to a sub .500 record the very next year. No need to rehash how he did everything in his power to destroy the program around here. He has no business ever being a head coach at either level, if someone decides he does, they'll get what they deserve.

I 100% agree with you. Seriously, this time :LOLtartar Although, he does have the same title as Cotton with the Jets, so who knows how much power he has with that team as far as scheming goes. With that said, he will not be a head coach again. But he is still a good coach. Shoot, I HATE being the head coach of my baseball team, I love being an asst. coach bc I don't have to worry about anything but coaching. Some people aren't cut out to be head coaches. I blame Peterson more than I blame Callahan.