Who is our new 'Helu'?

ladyhawke

Heard is our new Helu... he runs the same style... only problem is he's way young and needs to put about 30 pounds on his body to be able to push for yardage like Helu did. Heard is a one cut and go type of back... his top end speed once he gets open is faster than any other back on the team. I would say Abdullah is the shiftiest, he has the quickest lateral movements and is great at making people miss but his top end speed up field is not what Heard's is, though it's still impressive.

ladyhawke can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the intent of the thread is who will be the next running back we have with game-changing speed and a good skill set.

Burkhead isn't as fast as Helu was, at least not imo. Abdullah appeared to have a ton of speed, and Green hit the holes hard on Saturday even though the line wasn't doing a great job blocking that late in the game (mostly all the 2's were in). I think Abdullah is the running back furthest ahead now, so my guess would be him. But if he continues to be our main return man then I look for a guy like Green to get more carries.

Yes, that's what I mean. Helu was so fast and could find those holes and he was gone.

I always thought that Roy was under-rated. he was a heck of a back.. big, strong, fast.

He looked really good in the preseason NFL games as a Redskin. I really think he will be a long-term solid NFL back who will see some success. That is, of course, a rare thing --- think about how many college RB's there are, then how many get drafted (a small subset), and then, of those drafted, how many stick around and produce (very, very few). I think Roy will be one of those. Pretty special player.

Now... are any of our current backs players of that skill set? man... who knows. clearly for the freshman we'll need way more time to even begin an assessment. As for Rex... even for Rex it is too early to tell just how good he is. I think he is really quite good though... and may be a draft-worthy player down the road. Certainly he is a different kind of player than Roy. As has been pointed out, Rex does not have Roys size or speed... but Rex is pretty shifty, and his lateral mobility may be better than Roys. In any event, Rex is quite good and the three kids behind him all have promise. So... the NU RB situation is a great one.

ladyhawke can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the intent of the thread is who will be the next running back we have with game-changing speed and a good skill set.

Burkhead isn't as fast as Helu was, at least not imo. Abdullah appeared to have a ton of speed, and Green hit the holes hard on Saturday even though the line wasn't doing a great job blocking that late in the game (mostly all the 2's were in). I think Abdullah is the running back furthest ahead now, so my guess would be him. But if he continues to be our main return man then I look for a guy like Green to get more carries.

Yes, that's what I mean. Helu was so fast and could find those holes and he was gone.

I always thought that Roy was under-rated. he was a heck of a back.. big, strong, fast.

He looked really good in the preseason NFL games as a Redskin. I really think he will be a long-term solid NFL back who will see some success. That is, of course, a rare thing --- think about how many college RB's there are, then how many get drafted (a small subset), and then, of those drafted, how many stick around and produce (very, very few). I think Roy will be one of those. Pretty special player.

Now... are any of our current backs players of that skill set? man... who knows. clearly for the freshman we'll need way more time to even begin an assessment. As for Rex... even for Rex it is too early to tell just how good he is. I think he is really quite good though... and may be a draft-worthy player down the road. Certainly he is a different kind of player than Roy. As has been pointed out, Rex does not have Roys size or speed... but Rex is pretty shifty, and his lateral mobility may be better than Roys. In any event, Rex is quite good and the three kids behind him all have promise. So... the NU RB situation is a great one.

Yeah, I always thought Roy was underrated too. He had the quietest great career of any top NU RB. People just didn’t make a big fuss about him. The guy was good sized, and had deceptive speed. Helu was about all we could ask for in a back. I think he’ll catch on in the NFL and have a decent career.

As for his replacement, it's a little soon to say, but I'm going with Heard.

IMO, I never noticed Roy's speed or thought he demonstrated elite speed until last year. I thought that kinda came out of nowhere.

I think if Tmart would have gotten off a good pitch to Heard on that fumbled option, we would have definitely seen Heard's speed, the field was open to make a big play.

I think he was trying to pitch to Green on that play. I know Green was the guy who recovered.

It was to Green. Taylor pitched it too late and the defender tipped it. That's why it wasn't on target.

I have to bring up something no one has mentioned yet- Burkhead looked like a FB against Chatanooga, like he had gotten big and lost a step from last year. Hope that is not the case. Our other backs looked fine (Abdullah), but I hope that Martinez* leads our rushing stats. He looked insanely fast last week, yet vulnerable. He took some hard hits against Chatanooga, and was left in too long. Maybe compliment his big play action with Turner, some Cotton receptions, clutch plays from Reza-Reza-Rex and Kinnie not converting into Niles "drop the ball" Paul, and we will do great.