Pitt & Syracuse talking to ACC?

Nexus

Now it says that they are applying to the ACC. This is interesting since they are two of the schools the Big Ten was potentially looking at.

http://espn.go.com/c...nks-source-says

Wouldn't go that far re: Pitt. Already in the footprint, and Penn State pretty much owns Pennsylvania media markets.

Syracuse, possibly--Pitt, probably not.

And this is interesting in that it was intimated that all of the 'leftovers' from the Big XII would end up as part of the Big East (read: Baylor, ISU, KSU, et al).

Perhaps some of the Big East schools aren't down with onboarding TCU next year and Big XII refugees in future years?

Now it says that they are applying to the ACC. This is interesting since they are two of the schools the Big Ten was potentially looking at.

http://espn.go.com/c...nks-source-says

Wouldn't go that far re: Pitt. Already in the footprint, and Penn State pretty much owns Pennsylvania media markets.

Syracuse, possibly--Pitt, probably not.

And this is interesting in that it was intimated that all of the 'leftovers' from the Big XII would end up as part of the Big East (read: Baylor, ISU, KSU, et al).

Perhaps some of the Big East schools aren't down with onboarding TCU next year and Big XII refugees in future years?

Baylor and ISU have pretty much offered themselves to he Big East.

But, is the Big East still salvageable even without Syracuse and Pitt? Word on the ESPN street — and it should be noted that is is far from confirmed — is that Iowa State and Baylor have reached out to the Big East if the Big 12 falls apart. Baylor has previously expressed confidence that if the Big 12 were to dissolve, that an invite from the Big East would follow.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/17/iowa-state-baylor-reportedly-offer-themselves-to-big-east/

I dont understand the move here. The Big East was getting better with an upgrade of TCU, talks were heating up adding ISU and Baylor should the Big 12 dissolve, why leave the conference?

Unless they feel they can't compete in the conference anymore, i just don't understand it.

Early reports are that the ACC has approved the move.

In anycase, this is move a conference move is suppose to go down. Out of the blue, no early reports or media breaking the story early letting other schools know you are leaving.

Ha, I forgot that TCU is slated to join the Big East next year.

Most of this crap isn't even worth a grain of salt at this point, but people are saying WV will be the SEC's 14th. In a sane world conference realignment would end with a pillaged Big East and 14 team SEC and ACC, until the football season is over and people can really think about how stupid 4x 16 super-conferences would be within the framework of existing conference geography.

Uconn & Rutgers next to join ACC?

From USA Today:

The move would make the ACC a 14-team conference and certainly lead to speculation that the era of 16-team super conferences is about to arrive. The ACC also has not closed off its options about adding two other East Coast teams, depending on how the expansion dominoes fall in other leagues. Connecticut and Rutgers would be the candidates, the official said.

Link

Ha, I forgot that TCU is slated to join the Big East next year.

Most of this crap isn't even worth a grain of salt at this point, but people are saying WV will be the SEC's 14th. In a sane world conference realignment would end with a pillaged Big East and 14 team SEC and ACC, until the football season is over and people can really think about how stupid 4x 16 super-conferences would be within the framework of existing conference geography.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see West Virginia going anywhere unless they're the second-to-last and all that are left are the Iowa States and Baylors of the world. They don't move the needle nationally, they have no sizable local media markets, and at the end of the day, it's still West Virginia (apologies to our Nebraska brothers that reside or are from there).

And I'm still hearing that Missouri and the SEC are talking with each other, but since Missouri heads the committee for Big XII expansion, we won't see them come up prematurely (read: A&M)--for Mizzou, it will happen in the same day and they'll use Nebraska and A&M's departure amounts as a guide for the Dear John check they'll leave on Beebe's mantle.

Also, one conference that has their own network (albeit, with a limited footprint) is the Mountain West. Wouldn't be shocked to see them try and onboard some of the Big XII leftovers to expand the footprint of their own network and fish for a BCS bid.

I know, I know...people like to mock the funny-lookin' kid on the block. But this kid does have toys that would benefit certain Big XII leftovers.