Game ball goes to...

Army Husker

Anybody want to debate whether we'd be 3-0 without Taylor Martinez?

If nothing else, today's game should put to rest the notion that Martinez's struggles at the end of last year were because teams learned how to defend him.

In 3 games against Washington - Healthy Martinez = 50+ points, Unhealthy Martinez = :( (the same could be said for the OLine)

He played pretty well today. He's doing a tremendous job in the zone read game, he was great in the option today except for that one errant pitch, and he was OK throwing the ball. If he could be a little more accurate and if he could eliminate the 2-3 throws a game that are seemingly to no one in particular, that'd be nice, but he still played very well overall today.

He did good, not great. I wish he was able to eliminate the high arcing pass that gives defenders time to close in around the ball though. But we need his big play ability on the field. I hope though with our next game at Wyoming that the Huskers can put the game to bed early and we can gauge a little more of how Brion Carnes is coming along. I think the Wyoming game will be the last opportunity for him to see the field as long as Martinez is healthy.

I like TM but this is not an MVP vote. It is for who really did well during the game. He ran well, read the options OK and showed leadership. However, he completed less than 50% of his passes, had a bad pitch and under threw his receivers on multiple occasions.

To me this is just nit picking. The guy had 0 turnovers, a plethora of yards and made good decisions most of the time. I watched Rex whiff a block that led to a sack. Nobody plays a perfect game...

I'll go with Rex, for one play if nothing else. I believe we were third and four or five somewhere in the fourth and really needed to move the chains at that point in the game. Option play, TM is forced to pitch pretty deep to Rex who is about to get hit immediately most likely for a loss. That spin move to avoid the first guy and ensure the first down and was a thing of beauty, then he added another for a couple extra yards. I just love the fact that he almost always finishes a run going forward.

I've been one who's pretty critical of TM, but I give him props today, he played pretty well (although I don't know if I'll ever get used to a NU QB sliding or stepping out of bounds). I still think he needs a lot of work throwing the ball, but I love the way he's protecting it. But he's got to either slide or lower the shoulder, if he continues to just basically stop before contact he's not going to last.

I absolutely loved the pass fake he made, getting the rusher to jump to try and block the pass, but where was he throwing that ball afterwards?