Game ball goes to...

Army Husker

Anybody want to debate whether we'd be 3-0 without Taylor Martinez?

If nothing else, today's game should put to rest the notion that Martinez's struggles at the end of last year were because teams learned how to defend him.

In 3 games against Washington - Healthy Martinez = 50+ points, Unhealthy Martinez = :( (the same could be said for the OLine)

He played pretty well today. He's doing a tremendous job in the zone read game, he was great in the option today except for that one errant pitch, and he was OK throwing the ball. If he could be a little more accurate and if he could eliminate the 2-3 throws a game that are seemingly to no one in particular, that'd be nice, but he still played very well overall today.

He did good, not great. I wish he was able to eliminate the high arcing pass that gives defenders time to close in around the ball though. But we need his big play ability on the field. I hope though with our next game at Wyoming that the Huskers can put the game to bed early and we can gauge a little more of how Brion Carnes is coming along. I think the Wyoming game will be the last opportunity for him to see the field as long as Martinez is healthy.

If nothing else, today's game should put to rest the notion that Martinez's struggles at the end of last year were because teams learned how to defend him.

In 3 games against Washington - Healthy Martinez = 50+ points, Unhealthy Martinez = :( (the same could be said for the OLine)

He played pretty well today. He's doing a tremendous job in the zone read game, he was great in the option today except for that one errant pitch, and he was OK throwing the ball. If he could be a little more accurate and if he could eliminate the 2-3 throws a game that are seemingly to no one in particular, that'd be nice, but he still played very well overall today.

He did good, not great. I wish he was able to eliminate the high arcing pass that gives defenders time to close in around the ball though. But we need his big play ability on the field. I hope though with our next game at Wyoming that the Huskers can put the game to bed early and we can gauge a little more of how Brion Carnes is coming along. I think the Wyoming game will be the last opportunity for him to see the field as long as Martinez is healthy.

I think he did take the high arching pass down a little bit, which was good to see. He has played very well for the first 3 games of the season and has been much more of an asset instead of a liability

TM... While every single player can improve ( to include Martinez ), he made great decisions today. He came out and executed passes right from the start, which enabled us to run the ball. He proved we could pass, and the huskies had to adjust to protect the pass. He also audibles a lot, which many fail to give him credit for. He made some great decisions, from hiding the Fake handoff for the TD, to running out of bounds and sliding, to making great reads on the read option.

He makes defenses have to do too much thinking.... Will he pass, will he run, will he decide to keep it, and when they clock in one thing, something else opens and he was good enough to make the right decisions.

He's not perfect, but I'm glad we have him.

My hats off to Tim Beck. Put together a really a nice game plan. I know we weren't playing Alabama but we are moving in the right direction.

I think no time was it more evident how great a game Beck called then on Taylor's short TD scamper. I know people got an air of nostalgia watching us run that Power O running play with the left guard pulling down the field at will on Washington.

But watching Taylor take that bootleg into the endzone, all I could think of was how beautifully Tim Beck set that up. It was the same blocking scheme as that same play we had pounded at them 5 or 6 times in a row down the field, and they were totally committed to shutting down the HB dive. The DE stayed home like he should've, but he had absolutely no shot at beating Taylor to the edge.

Good LORD... it's as if Tim Beck could... THINK! And ADJUST! Can you hear that from Louisville, Shawn?

My hats off to Tim Beck. Put together a really a nice game plan. I know we weren't playing Alabama but we are moving in the right direction.

I think no time was it more evident how great a game Beck called then on Taylor's short TD scamper. I know people got an air of nostalgia watching us run that Power O running play with the left guard pulling down the field at will on Washington.

But watching Taylor take that bootleg into the endzone, all I could think of was how beautifully Tim Beck set that up. It was the same blocking scheme as that same play we had pounded at them 5 or 6 times in a row down the field, and they were totally committed to shutting down the HB dive. The DE stayed home like he should've, but he had absolutely no shot at beating Taylor to the edge.

Good LORD... it's as if Tim Beck could... THINK! And ADJUST! Can you hear that from Louisville, Shawn?

Yeah after we ran that play like 5 times in a row, I was thinking that he was setting something up, and sure enough he did. The funniest thing ever on that play was watching the #28 just standing there watching the running back run on the other side of the field and Taylor just ran right around lol.

We need to get Carnes some playing time. Not because TM is not playing well, because he has looked good so far. But because TM is still running a lot. Even though he is sliding now, it will be the hit he doesn't see coming that gets him hurt. I hate to say this, but I like what Pinkel does ( and his track record for developing qb's is pretty good). He will stick in his young qb's for a series in the first half, no matter what is happening on the field. That gets them used to live action, helps the game to slow down for them sooner.

I like TM but this is not an MVP vote. It is for who really did well during the game. He ran well, read the options OK and showed leadership. However, he completed less than 50% of his passes, had a bad pitch and under threw his receivers on multiple occasions.

We need to get Carnes some playing time. Not because TM is not playing well, because he has looked good so far. But because TM is still running a lot. Even though he is sliding now, it will be the hit he doesn't see coming that gets him hurt. I hate to say this, but I like what Pinkel does ( and his track record for developing qb's is pretty good). He will stick in his young qb's for a series in the first half, no matter what is happening on the field. That gets them used to live action, helps the game to slow down for them sooner.

Exactly, I think we should do this extensively starting next week with Wyoming. We did this sort of last year with Cody Green in the first half. I think maybe Tom Osborne did it too, which should get a lot more people on board with it :) We need to have a more game-ready Brion.

I am also a big advocate for what the Patriots have done at times with Hoyer coming in for Tom Brady on an unscheduled series of plays - if only for three or four downs of play. Reps are at a premium, and that is a great way to keep your backup sharp and a great use of situational football. That way, if Carnes ever does have to come in for an injured Taylor, it will not be the first (and maybe not even the second, third, or fourth) time he has had to rush out cold from the bench and lead the troops at a moment's notice.

Taylor's fake on that play was a thing of beauty.