Crowd on Saturday

husker_doc

Of course the crowd was jacked up. We had just recovered a fumble at the goalline. Nobody debates the fact that Nebraska's crowd can be electric. The problem is that it's usually only electric for about 3% of the season.

Every single home game of the year, the crowd should be as jacked as it was for 2009 Oklahoma. It's really easy - all you have to do is yell as loud as you can. But our crowd is too lazy or prissy or unrealistic or just trying too hard to be a bunch of "football intellectuals," for us to have that kind of atmosphere on a regular basis.

I can't stand it when people praise the crowd for being electric at a big game. Any stadium has a great atmosphere when Ohio State or Texas or Oklahoma comes to town. The stadium atmospheres that set themselves apart are the ones that have a great atmosphere even when their team is in a dogfight with Kansas. That shouldn't be too much to ask of the self-proclaimed "Greatest Fans in College Football."

:facepalm:

"We don't do ________ so we're not the Greatest Fans in College Football."

I love how everyone has their own personal definition of what the "Greatest Fans in College Football" entails, and when the fans don't follow through with MY definition, they're not the greatest anymore.

You just can't please people. The crowd was LOUD throughout this game, and now that's a bad thing? Or, you want a 2009 Oklahoma level of excitement when we're playing St. Agatha's School for the Athletically Inept? That's not going to happen, Herc. That doesn't happen anywhere.

When Pat Hill, who has led Fresno St. into every tough venue in America the past decade, says that the atmosphere in Lincoln is "special" and "the best" then I think we're doing something right.

“After the game, I’ve never heard so many positive people walking off the field,” Hill said. “Our kids were almost in shock with the type of fans that they have. They were congratulating them on a great game, for playing hard, telling our guys good luck and that’s the type of atmosphere that is great.
“They are intelligent football fans. They appreciate a good football game, they all stayed there at the end and it was a different environment than I’ve ever been in as far as a crowd and people that appreciate the game of football. It was a great atmosphere to play in and I was kind of taken back walking off the field, because I’ve never heard those kind of positive remarks like that in any game.”
  • Fire 2

Of course the crowd was jacked up. We had just recovered a fumble at the goalline. Nobody debates the fact that Nebraska's crowd can be electric. The problem is that it's usually only electric for about 3% of the season.

Every single home game of the year, the crowd should be as jacked as it was for 2009 Oklahoma. It's really easy - all you have to do is yell as loud as you can. But our crowd is too lazy or prissy or unrealistic or just trying too hard to be a bunch of "football intellectuals," for us to have that kind of atmosphere on a regular basis.

I can't stand it when people praise the crowd for being electric at a big game. Any stadium has a great atmosphere when Ohio State or Texas or Oklahoma comes to town. The stadium atmospheres that set themselves apart are the ones that have a great atmosphere even when their team is in a dogfight with Kansas. That shouldn't be too much to ask of the self-proclaimed "Greatest Fans in College Football."

I love how everyone has their own personal definition of what the "Greatest Fans in College Football" entails, and when the fans don't follow through with MY definition, they're not the greatest anymore.

You just can't please people. The crowd was LOUD throughout this game, and now that's a bad thing? Or, you want a 2009 Oklahoma level of excitement when we're playing St. Agatha's School for the Athletically Inept? That's not going to happen, Herc. That doesn't happen anywhere.

When Pat Hill, who has led Fresno St. into every tough venue in America the past decade, says that the atmosphere in Lincoln is "special" and "the best" then I think we're doing something right.

“After the game, I’ve never heard so many positive people walking off the field,” Hill said. “Our kids were almost in shock with the type of fans that they have. They were congratulating them on a great game, for playing hard, telling our guys good luck and that’s the type of atmosphere that is great.
“They are intelligent football fans. They appreciate a good football game, they all stayed there at the end and it was a different environment than I’ve ever been in as far as a crowd and people that appreciate the game of football. It was a great atmosphere to play in and I was kind of taken back walking off the field, because I’ve never heard those kind of positive remarks like that in any game.”

Thank you.

I was at the game Saturday and the crowd was electric 85% of the time. I also chuckle at the equivocation between fans who scream for four hours and a great fanbase. For a thought experiment, pretend the Colorado and Nebraska fanbases are exactly as they are right now, the only difference is the Buff fans are generally louder at home games. Are they now the greatest fans in college football? Are they even a great fanbase?

Nebraska's reputation is built on a hell of a lot more than the noise level, which is usually fine anyway.

And if I can use myself as an example, yeah, I get loud and into it, but I'm also there to, I dunno, WATCH the game. 90% of the joy of football for me is the strategy that goes into it, trying to break down and guess what teams are attempting to do/going to to. I find it easier to think about that stuff if my throat isn't blistering.

Maybe that's just me.

For all the people moaning about how the Nebraska crowds have been weak lately, I thought that the crowd was actually really great on Saturday. However, some idiots in the student section are trying to get a bunch of new chants going. One of them being "Can't be beat" "Won't be beat". This stinks and has never worked. Stick with tradition. If you've never experienced a Husker Power chant, you are missing out. It gets me pumped every time.

That's one of those stupid Bring Back Gameday things that some of the students are doing. I'd rather play Hey Baby after the third instead of that chant.

It was pretty cool that we got the Husker Power chant going a couple times while they were reveiwing.

Can't be beat. Won't be beat is a product of the athletic department and bring back game day stuff. From what I have heard is that the students don't attend the rally very well and as a student I have yet to go to one either. We are also tweaking the end of the third quarter looking for something to pump up the crowd. Hence the switch to enter sandman.

The husker power chant during reviews is just the few of us front and center in east stadium personal attempted to keep people loud. Last saturday was our first attempt at it and it seemed to go over pretty well.

People take the "Greatest Fans in College Football" thing way too seriously. Opposing fans use it against us and we use it against ourselves, apparently. We have fans that happen to support our team to the tune of 314 straight sellouts and treat the opposition not as a mortal enemy but as fellow football fans. That is more than any place in the country can say.

Not that I have a problem with the volume, but I think that the volume is a product of the last decade of football. We were down, and we're almost "back" but we just haven't broken through with that conference title or BCS bowl berth. So every time we find ourselves locked in a battle with Fresno State or SDSU, we immediately think, 'here we go again - another year of mediocrity' rather than just flat-out supporting the team.

• Fire 1

As far as I'm concerned, if any fan base is going to be so self-congratulatory as to proclaim themselves the greatest fans in college football, then they should be ok with taking a little criticism. You can quote all the opposing coaches you want who love how their team gets applauded after the game is over - and that's great, I love that too - but I can also quote our own coach Bo Pelini on multiple occasions talking about how lacking the crowd atmosphere was for this or that game. Would you rather have the opposing coaches like our atmosphere, or our own team/staff?

If the fans are going to complain about the players not taking an opponent seriously, or coming out flat, than the fans deserve just as much criticism. All the fans have to do is sit their butts in their seat and yell - they were born with that ability, it's nothing they've had to develop. And yet people make more excuses for the fan base than for the team, whether it's the weather, or the opponent, or the score, or whatever. And finally a student movement starts that tries to enhance the gameday atmosphere, something that tries to bring more of an edge to the crowd (without giving up any of its warm hospitality) and fans decide to mock it and degrade because apparently they think we were already perfect and shouldn't ever do anything new.

As far as I'm concerned, if any fan base is going to be so self-congratulatory as to proclaim themselves the greatest fans in college football, then they should be ok with taking a little criticism. You can quote all the opposing coaches you want who love how their team gets applauded after the game is over - and that's great, I love that too - but I can also quote our own coach Bo Pelini on multiple occasions talking about how lacking the crowd atmosphere was for this or that game. Would you rather have the opposing coaches like our atmosphere, or our own team/staff?

If the fans are going to complain about the players not taking an opponent seriously, or coming out flat, than the fans deserve just as much criticism. All the fans have to do is sit their butts in their seat and yell - they were born with that ability, it's nothing they've had to develop. And yet people make more excuses for the fan base than for the team, whether it's the weather, or the opponent, or the score, or whatever. And finally a student movement starts that tries to enhance the gameday atmosphere, something that tries to bring more of an edge to the crowd (without giving up any of its warm hospitality) and fans decide to mock it and degrade because apparently they think we were already perfect and shouldn't ever do anything new.

Again, you are being completely unrealistic if you think that every stadium is rocking every minute of every game. There are no stadiums out there where the home crowd is yelling from the opening gun to the final whistle.

If your gripe is about the very few people coming down on Take Back Gameday, that is an entirely different argument than the behavior of the fans in the stands. Those people coming down on the student movement are a tiny minority.

Those people coming down on the student movement are a tiny minority.

If by "tiny minority" you mean over 3/4 of the student section, then you are correct.

Three quarters of the student section don't like Take Back Gameday? How did you determine this?

And if it is 3/4 of the student section, that makes up what? 10% of the attendance? How many seats are in the student section? 10,000?

If by "tiny minority" you mean over 3/4 of the student section, then you are correct.

Three quarters of the student section don't like Take Back Gameday? How did you determine this?

And if it is 3/4 of the student section, that makes up what? 10% of the attendance? How many seats are in the student section? 10,000?

Considering that TBG is only a student thing, I'd say the student percentage of the total crowd is irrelevant. I say 3/4 of the student section hates it because I am a student who sits in the student section and talks to other students and nobody I can find likes it. Sure there are a few people that stand up and do the "Can't be beat" cheer and I guess there are probably a few dozen that go to the rally but that is about it. So I'll give them credit for the 1/4, but that is absolutely it.

Again, you are being completely unrealistic if you think that every stadium is rocking every minute of every game. There are no stadiums out there where the home crowd is yelling from the opening gun to the final whistle.

If your gripe is about the very few people coming down on Take Back Gameday, that is an entirely different argument than the behavior of the fans in the stands. Those people coming down on the student movement are a tiny minority.

It is unreasonable to expect the crowd to be rocking 100% of the time, and there are lots of things that are great about Nebraska's gameday atmosphere that still make it the best gameday atmosphere I've been a part of. However, the most significant thing a crowd can do on gamedays is to have an impact on the game. The way a crowd has an impact on the game is by making noise, and there are a plurality of other fan bases in the country who do that better than Nebraska fans.

I don't believe that the people opposed to Take Back Gameday are a tiny minority, and I think those dissenters also represent why Nebraska's crowd factor is somewhat lacking compared to some other stadiums.

Which teams' fans fit into your mythical plurality, then?

And who is actively fighting against Take Back Gameday? I think you're confusing criticism with opposition. Lots and lots of people have criticized it. Lots and lots of people have criticized Bo. But when Bo's team does well, those same people are jumping up and down cheering. The world is not out to get Take Back Gameday, or shut it down, or actively oppose it in any way. Many people have opinions, some negative, but again that's criticism, not opposition.

Considering that TBG is only a student thing, I'd say the student percentage of the total crowd is irrelevant. I say 3/4 of the student section hates it because I am a student who sits in the student section and talks to other students and nobody I can find likes it. Sure there are a few people that stand up and do the "Can't be beat" cheer and I guess there are probably a few dozen that go to the rally but that is about it. So I'll give them credit for the 1/4, but that is absolutely it.

Three quarters of the people in the North end zone favor Take Back Gameday. Everyone I've talked to likes it.

Dueling anecdotal evidence! Hooray!

Three quarters of the people in the North end zone favor Take Back Gameday. Everyone I've talked to likes it.

Dueling anecdotal evidence! Hooray!

All I'm saying is that the majority of students (who TBG was primarily created for) do not approve. Not a lot of students in North Stadium.