Crowd on Saturday

husker_doc

Kyle Field is not louder, at least not recently when A&M has been losing. Sure, they get up for Texas and Oklahoma and Nebraska, but against Louisiana Tech last year when they were 6,000 tickets below capacity, and the upper sections of the stands were nearly empty after halftime, you want to assert that they are louder than Nebraska? No. They are the same as Nebraska, minus the sold-out stadiums. In 2009 when A&M beat a bad Iowa State team 35-10 and they were 11,000 tickets below capacity, it wasn't even close to as loud as Memorial Stadium in our first two games this year.

Tennessee isn't louder than Memorial Stadium. Florida is when they're winning but when they aren't they're as mum as we are. Tiger Stadium down in Baton Rouge may be as good as it gets, so that's one.

You don't think Nebraska's Memorial Stadium is in the top ten most intimidating places to play in college football?

These guys do.

Wait, you say that Tennessee and aTm aren't louder then Lincoln, then you post a link that says they are and you do this all in the same post. Alittle contradicting there.

I'm with the people who think Memorial Stadium is fine. One of the frequent compliments Husker fans get is their intelligence and knowledge of the game. Part of that is knowing that we don't need to blow out our vocal cords when we're winning by 5 td's against Chattanooga. I'm in the east student section with the rest of the upper classmen (read: our days of showing up to the game smashed are pretty much done). Against UTC, most of us (me included) cheered the good plays....and that's just about it. Against Fresno we were yelling most of the game, basically from the point it became obvious it would be a fight. Against UW, we were ready to go from the very beginning and we didn't let up until NU iced the game early in the 4th (we picked up a bit of steam after UW started their garbage time "comeback").

In short, like posters before me have said, the fans have a good understanding of when the Huskers need us and when yelling is unnecessary. Personally, I don't like yelling. It hurts and I've got allergies so that makes it even more unpleasant, but I'm more than willing to do it if the Huskers are in a dogfight. I don't think that makes me a bad/lazy fan.

Imagine if we did something like that when they are in 3rd and out. That is something that we need to start instead of just yelling. Something that everyone will get into like the Husker Power. Only thing is we can't do HP on 3rd down because it does have some gaps in it.

Knapp, I don't equate loud with good, except when we are talking specifically about loudness as a crowd (which this thread is about). One of your sources is bleacher report, one is a bunch of SEC fans (how many of them have been to memorial stadium i wonder? I've also heard Nebraska fans claim we could win a national championship in 2007...just sayin') and another is a Fresno guy talking about everything but being loud.

I don't disagree with you that we are drastically different than other schools or that it's realistic to be at 120db every game, but I do disagree that we are elite in terms of crowd noise.

Due to the military, I've had the pleasure of watching games all over the country. Those who claim we are as loud as other schools even during a "big game" on third down are wrong. Pac10 did it better. SEC did it better.

I haven't been to nearly as many Husker games as all of you I'm sure, but I did watch us lose to Texas last year and I made it to the Mizzu game. I have to agree that our fans could have a larger impact on gameplay. It's a small criticism in the big picture. But on this specific topic, I think we are lacking.

Many great points as to the why. Our fanbase is older than almost every other fan base, and that's due to continuous success in the past.

You don't think Nebraska's Memorial Stadium is in the top ten most intimidating places to play in college football?

These guys do.

These guys think we're #16.

These guys, at an SEC forum, think we're in the top ten.

The first link even teases us for being too nice. Which I think is awesome after the game. Not that we should be rude during the game, but disruptive.

Bleacherreport based on win% and sellout streak

SEC forum was making an argument based on our winning percentage, not intimidation.

@Marf, (this will cause some NU fans to have mild strokes, so don't read if you have a weak heart) ...............................VT's tunnel walk is far superior

Since when does a stroke affect the heart?

Well, my dad has a blood clot in his heart that causes him to have TIA's (mini strokes) when he over excerts himself so in my world the 2 go hand and hand. My post really wasn't meant for anybody to self diagnose their medical problems, it was just a figure of speech. If I caused anybody any extra anxiety thinking you may be having a stroke because you have heart burn from the hot wings you ate, I appologize.