Hate to say it but......

C N Red

Overreact harder, please.

My reaction is perfectly reasonable, thank you. Should I be pleased Bo Pelini's 4th year defense is terrible? How would you like me to react?

With cautious, objective skepticism? Instead of full-blown, OMG OUR DEFENSE IS AIDS AND BO IS A TERRIBLE COACH

Yeah, I totally went there Mr. Strawman. Bo's always been a great defensive coach, that's why it's so baffling this defense has regressed in such embarrassing fashion. Sorry if it hurt your feelings I pointed out what's been blatantly obvious all year, I guess?

One thing we should keep in mind is our defense is still looking for the right personnel. This was the case in 2009, this was the case in 2010. Once the first four or five games were done in those years and we adjusted to the best 11 we had found, the defense really turned it up a whole new level.

I am not saying it's a guarantee we'll find the same 'right personnel' as we found in those two years. You don't get to have the perfect pieces like that all the time. Even still our defense is far, far from terrible.

We've given up 225 yards and 7 points so far on the road. This isn't quite the defensive meltdown that people are making it out to be. That said, of course we aren't as good as the last 2 years and there is definite room for improvement. Just saying, there is no need to anoint this as the '07 defense or anything like that. People are getting distorted expectations.

• Fire 2

We've given up 225 yards and 7 points so far on the road. This isn't quite the defensive meltdown that people are making it out to be. That said, of course we aren't as good as the last 2 years and there is definite room for improvement. Just saying, there is no need to anoint this as the '07 defense or anything like that. People are getting distorted expectations.

Not distorted expectations, unrealized expectations. Remember, the expectation coming into the season was this was supposed to be the deepest and maybe the best Pelini defense ever. So, no they're not '07 bad, but compared to expectations, they're really bad.

I honestly have no idea why we thought this defense was supposed to be deep, when nobody could really name or know anything about the cornerback starting opposite Alfonzo. Or the DE starting opposite Cam.

DT was deep, yes. S I think was also supposed to be deep. Those are two positions of unrealized expectations, and disappointment, at this time.

But everywhere else, did we really think we were deep? I think the hype was about having All-Americans at each of the three levels of defense. I think we aren't seeing that potential realized because of liabilities elsewhere on the field, but once those are sorted through, the AA's are going to shine.

I think Cassidy is another guy being a bit unfairly maligned, at least for that one play. I do not necessarily expect a safety to win a 1-on-1 matchup with a slot receiver with regularity.

Isn't he making the calls for a buncha guys there on the defense? I think he is more important than we see.

I think Cassidy is another guy being a bit unfairly maligned, at least for that one play. I do not necessarily expect a safety to win a 1-on-1 matchup with a slot receiver with regularity.

Isn't he making the calls for a buncha guys there on the defense? I think he is more important than we see.

Yeah, Cassidy is one of the main play-callers and assignment guys out there. He also has been pretty solid in coverage. He is no Larry Asante, but he is kind of unfairly getting the blame for things that Green and Evans have done.