The Worst Part of the Loss

beanman

What pisses me off is that our stadium will never sing like these fans did unless it is Husker Power and that is it.

Agreed. I've noticed a lot of other teams coming in have at least a few cool chants they do or somewhat original traditions. We are boring.

Pundits will say whatever but it had nothing to do with "Big 10 vs Bgi 12" or whatveer, it was just the fact that the better team won tonight. Russell Wilson behind that offensive line? good game, america

What did you find so great about their OL? I saw our guys busting through there on several occasions. The problem was that they weren't fast enough to catch Wilson after they got through. Of Wisconsin's total offense, I thought their OL was the least impressive.

The chant of "Big 10 Football" had more to do with your Nebraska sportswriters than anything else. We DO NOT think you come from a soft conference - quite the contrary. What we read in various Nebraska publications & forums prior to tonight's game was how weak the Big 10 was, how your being in this new Conference may not work to your advantage because you were so much better than the competition you'd be facing in the Big 10, etc. Seemed arrogant somehow. We also remember a number of articles from when you folks got rid of Bill Callahan - saying he should go back to the Big Ten because Big Ten football isn't Nebraska football. Maybe he wasn't the right fit for you - that's okay. But the implication that Big Ten football wasn't up to the caliber of Nebraska football wasn't forgotten.

So, welcome to the Big Ten. Our conference may not be the strongest this year, but we have a lot of respect for each other and some years are goofier than others. I never thought I'd live to see the day that Ohio State would be 3-2 after 5 games. The hospitals in Columbus are probably overflowing with heart failure victims! Beware of teams like Michigan State & Northwestern - they're usually tougher than they get credit for.

Also, the student section sings along to a number of songs that are rotated by whoever's playing music. "Build Me Up Buttercup", Brown-Eyed Girl", "Sweet Caroline", "Cecilia", and "Twist & Shout" are some of the more popular ones. I'm amazed the kids know these songs that were popular back when I was in high school (shows how old I am). Many of our traditions (the tubas marching & playing during the 4th quarter, pom pon girls making the rounds during the 3rd quarter, the "Student Section Race", etc.) were started back when our football team was so lousy no one wanted to watch the game. We had to find other ways to have fun that didn't involve body passing and throwing things. I can still remember many many games like what poor Minnesota had today (losing 58-0). Not much to cheer about.

"Build Me Up, Buttercup"?

I thought that was pretty impressive. Great song, as well.

This wasn't a statement directed at NU, it's just a long standing tradition to have students sing the song during the 4th quarter. It starts singing to the track during a timeout or tv break and then it goes to an acapella and bleeds into the game. It's actually really cool to be a part of in the stadium. I personally thought the "big ten football" chant was pretty lame, because well, the big ten is god awful right now.

The 4th quarter chant by their fans pissed me off the most. Mostly because they think we're soft, and we proved them right tonight. In some way they probably think that they were more physical than us during our good years in the 90s and somehow this validates it. I am sick of this soft defensive style we play. I want an attacking D. They would have worn down our defense last year too. I hope to hell we beat everybody else so we don't have to hear this for the rest of the year.

Frankly, I thought it was embarassing because theres a bunch of B1G schools that are just pathetic, But then again it was just the idiot students and it lasted about 10 seconds. I think part of it is this is the first time UW has ever really been a legit NC contender and some people don't know how to handle it.

The 4th quarter chant by their fans pissed me off the most. Mostly because they think we're soft, and we proved them right tonight. In some way they probably think that they were more physical than us during our good years in the 90s and somehow this validates it. I am sick of this soft defensive style we play. I want an attacking D. They would have worn down our defense last year too. I hope to hell we beat everybody else so we don't have to hear this for the rest of the year.

Frankly, I thought it was embarassing because theres a bunch of B1G schools that are just pathetic, But then again it was just the idiot students and it lasted about 10 seconds. I think part of it is this is the first time UW has ever really been a legit NC contender and some people don't know how to handle it.

Meh, you gotta take it with a grain of salt and there may be some truth to what you're saying. I hope you guys do make a run, it'll make our loss to you look that much better!

Sorry BRI, nothing would make this loss look any better. Our boys quit in the second quarter and embarrassed the fans, their coaches, and most importantly themselves. All but maybe 3 kids that played should hang their heads in shame.

Couldn't agree with you more, but it does sound better to say, "we lost to the National Champions, no big deal!" :lol:

The Big Ten football chant is fine, but besides this win, it's not like Wisconsin fans or the Big Ten has much to brag about. The Big Ten is a physical conference, but is also known for not playing well in big non-conference games and not showing up in BCS bowl games. If Nebraska went to the SEC and this happened, it would be validated. The SEC is by far the best football conference and they prove it year in and year out.