Madison Experience

Before this picture the sensitivity exhibited by husker fans perplexed me. Yes, we have a lot of rude fans (read students) at UW but I don't think I've ever heard this level of complaining from a visiting team. Now it all makes sense. Husker fans are kind of old...and old fashioned.

Nebraska_Wisconsin_Football_64009_game.jpg

Panther is right on the general idea that gameday is a party for students, but I think his perspective is reflective of the loud minority of UW students. I was a UW student not so long ago, and the above post was not the MO of my crew or the vast majority of students.

.2 the entire time? Come on, man.

It's definitely the perspective of the loud group (which is what I'm trying to explain to them), but I wouldn't call it a "minority." And the .2 was a little exaggeration. Half of them might be at .1 near the end of the game.

Panther, thanks for your extremely long post that attempts to justify the behavior of your younger crowd. I did enjoy your proper grammer and spelling, and could tell you are an educated person. However, the following comment pretty much sums up your real opinion of us:

Fly your colors, but also remember that you are also the guest... and a generally unwanted one at that.

If you are considering your guests as unwanted ones, that's going to pretty much explain your behavior, now isn't it?

• Fire 1

Hey all, first time post here.. as you can probably tell im a tOSU fan.

Let me just say.. Wisconsin fans are the worst fans in the BIG. Now, I know tOSU fans are bad too.. we are really bad... but Wisc fans are the worst. I saw them verbally attack elderly OSU fans as well as throw beer at them. They basically chased every tOSU fan out of the area after they beat us. My experience was so bad that for me personally its a mission for anytime we play them in Columbus that I go down there and give it back to them so Im sure you can imagine how this has snowballed over the years.

That being said, Camp Randall is a hornets nest and I do respect the environment...

As far as the Shoe, you will probably run into some fans that will act the same way here but the difference is post game is usually more amicable. In my experience.. tOSU fans act the worst towards other team fans when the other team fans expect to come in and roll us.. (a.k.a Texas fans). That being said, every tOSU fan I have talked to seemed to have much respect for NU so I don't think you will get the same reception here that you got in Camp Randall.

Hey all, first time post here.. as you can probably tell im a tOSU fan.

Let me just say.. Wisconsin fans are the worst fans in the BIG. Now, I know tOSU fans are bad too.. we are really bad... but Wisc fans are the worst. I saw them verbally attack elderly OSU fans as well as throw beer at them. They basically chased every tOSU fan out of the area after they beat us. My experience was so bad that for me personally its a mission for anytime we play them in Columbus that I go down there and give it back to them so Im sure you can imagine how this has snowballed over the years.

That being said, Camp Randall is a hornets nest and I do respect the environment...

As far as the Shoe, you will probably run into some fans that will act the same way here but the difference is post game is usually more amicable. In my experience.. tOSU fans act the worst towards other team fans when the other team fans expect to come in and roll us.. (a.k.a Texas fans). That being said, every tOSU fan I have talked to seemed to have much respect for NU so I don't think you will get the same reception here that you got in Camp Randall.

Well, let's be realistic about OSU fans--most of them are just bitter because they live in Ohio. Honestly, I'd probably hate myself, too, if I had to live there. Your fans are awful, though. I have never come across a more disrespectful, bitter, and angry fanbase than the one that visited last year. I'm always gracious to incoming fans (and found the vast majority of NU ones to be great), but the OSU fans were, on the whole, a bunch of pricks.

Also, to anyone at the game, this is pretty cool: http://www.uwbadgers.com/fancam

From years of experience, you really need to wade through the unfortunate UW students to find the lifetime fans who are a joy to be around. For instance, my brother's friend opened up his house to some 40+ husker fans and let them tailgate there. He knew none of them. No fights, no problems, just good talk and lots of food/beverage. The big issue is that:

1) There are a lot of drunks on gameday

2) The students are dicks

If you are willing to forget the students, Wisconsin has fine fans. The issue is their student population makes ours smell like roses.

You can't say that their obscene chants are really what make the students bad fans. It is the actions they take which are sometimes similar to those we've experienced with Mizzou or Colorado. If you hang around some Wisconsin fans, the bad ones leave you be. If you are alone as opposing fans they target you. I wouldn't venture anywhere close to Fraternity Row. If you just come down from Monroe and head straight to Randall there are only a few minutes before you are in the gates that are bad. Once inside I've never experienced any problems.

Panther, thanks for your extremely long post that attempts to justify the behavior of your younger crowd. I did enjoy your proper grammer and spelling, and could tell you are an educated person. However, the following comment pretty much sums up your real opinion of us:

Fly your colors, but also remember that you are also the guest... and a generally unwanted one at that.

If you are considering your guests as unwanted ones, that's going to pretty much explain your behavior, now isn't it?

I'm not trying to justify anything.... I'm trying to put it in perspective. I want to make that clear. We know we come across rough, and it's intentional. It really is. But it's done in jest. We don't take it seriously. We're just talking smack for the sake of talking smack and aren't going to get offended when you talk it back (in a non-hostile manner) The end result is talking football or buying drinks (i bought a round of the nastiest shot i could request for a group of husker fans after the game... I told them I'd help them in their effort to forget that game forever).

And yes. Don't doubt there is a badger fan somewhere that wishes he had your ticket that you used. It's not like if you didn't use your ticket, that seat would remain empty. And as a student, I would want them to have it over you.

The best way to look at our rudeness is to realize it's not personal. It's more like a family member who beat you down in a fantasy football match and has called you every day to remind you of how terrible your team is and that your ineptness led the way for your failure. You can sit there and be miserable, or you can get into the game and give it back. It's far more fun when there's a little adrenaline pumping and anticipation for the next matchup you get.