the importance of this game

robsker

I really think that this game, in some respects, is the most important game of the Pelini era. Here are my thoughts...

1) Big 10 people think that OSU is the weakest OSU has been in many years and that they are simply not very good (an assessment that is not accurate... at least in that they are still a good team) --- if NU loses to them, then NU will be laughed off as a wannabe and not taken seriously.... our recruiting in the B10 region will suffer and NU will be seen as a mid-level team until proven otherwise

2) recruits in general just saw this team mauled... if we lose again... to an OSU team perceived to be weak (but again, I contend is not weak)... then they will question whether the Pelini-led NU program is a place to go --- and rebuilding from here will be very hard

3) outsiders and some insiders will begin to view the Pelini era as one where NU has perhaps improved... but is not improving at a rate sufficient to be headed anywhere any time soon --- that is, people will begin to wonder whether there really has been much progress these past years

NU badly needs a win --- and oddly, if they win... people will say "so what" OSU stinks. Unfortunately for us, NU is in a position where if they lose then thud... the view of the program goes crashing, and rebuilding gets much, much tougher --- and if they win... it will be no big deal. Not fair, or good a situation... but what it is

A loss here would be beyond devastating to the program --- not so much the loss but the context of the loss --- losing, on national TV the first two games of the B10 --- one in a blowout and the other to the "weakest OSU team in decades" would be more negative for this program than anything that has hit the program under Pelini.

Man... we need a victory badly.

• Fire 1

Agree 100%. In fact, i'll go one further. We can't squeak this one out. IMO, it needs to be a 10-14 point win if we have any hope of making the CCG this year. Last year, we let a limping Texas team beat us, at home, because we played poorly on both sides of the ball. Last week, we got hammered for playing poorly on both sides. I want to see the team come out like their hair is on fire, and play a good clean, complete game. Something we haven't done in years.

According to my info, which may be wrong, we have never won a game against Ohio State. Its the first time Ohio State has ever played in Lincoln. From what i read, we have only played Ohio State 5 times, 4 times were in The Horseshoe, the other time was a bowl game. Correct me if i am wrong.

We've only played them twice, both times at the shoe in the 50's. Lost both.

http://huskermax.com/games/ohiostateBT.html

Agree 100%. this OSU team isn't bad or weak, but is perceived to be. A loss will be devastating for national reputation, and recruiting

OSU is definitely weak this year. While the defense is still there, the offense is atrocious, the absolute worst I have seen in probably 13 years. Not even joking slightly when I say we have a better shot to score with our defense on the field than our offense.

There is no doubt Nebraska needs to beat OSU, and I really don't think you guys are going to have an issue with that this year.

I don't know that we can say this is the biggest game in the Pelini era. It's certainly one of the biggest games of this year, but we still have Michigan, Michigan State and Iowa on the schedule after the Buckeyes. This is not more of a make-or-break game than any of those, because a loss to any of the remainder will kill our conference title hopes.

I think we can definitely lose this game. Unless the problems we've seen all year get fixed, we're going to be surprised at how good this "terrible" Ohio State offense looks.

I don't think it's make or break either. It's just another game.

Look, it's a long season and it's a marathon, not a sprint.

If we drop this game, let's not panic, alright? Our schedule following that is not too tough, anyway. We had an ugly start to the '08 season before turning around and winning the bottom stretch. This year is a lot more '08 than it is '09 or '10. We could take some lumps this year, especially on D, but I think we're building to something special and could seriously contend next year.

Too bad Fonz didn't redshirt, though.

I'm not worried about OSU, I'm more worried about NU. I'm just hoping we can play well and get some confidence in our step moving forward. I want a damn rematch with Wisconsin.

Why? So they can embarass us on national television again? They are head and shoulders better than us and that game was no fluke.

depends on your point of view... personally i think this game is important because i want to see how the team reacts, deals with adverse situations....

i think that even if we lose IF WE FOUGHT hard and made it close we can still move forward

howeve if we come out flat with no insipiration or motivation then

Judgment-Day-The-End-Of-The-World.jpg