What is a True Husker Fan?

First of all, yes, I am a first time poster, but am someone who has read this board (and others) religiously for years to get info, to keep up with, and just be amongst other rabid husker fans year round. Time allows me to read, but to not post, so i have refrained this whole time. I am not a troll, but am someone who is ready to post after finally reading enough of this BS. First I have to ask, what makes a Husker fan? Is it someone who openly supports their team through good times(90's) and bad(2000's), no matter the criticisim they recieve at work, from rival fans, etc., or someone who can sit in their living room and badmouth the team, coaches and whoever else that doesn't live up to their expectations, all while not having to show their true face or name? I am all for an active debate on topics such as defensive alignments, offensive plays, the gameplan for upcoming opponents, etc., but to continuously and negatively spew the bs that has come about on this board and many others is starting to show our true colors as the spoiled and entitled must win society that we have become.

I remember the years of Osborne and how he struggled to win the bowl games against speedier opponents. I remember the ones in which a call here or there decided a championship, or just another top five finish. The thing that set it apart from today, was that fact that the criticism was done in local coffee shops, in the stadium, or at someone's home during the game.....IN PERSON. If you criticized, everyone saw who it was and you had to back up your claims. Now, anyone can come on here and spew hate and criticisim knowing that no one will know who they are and that they cannot not held accountable for it, which is unlike what the players and coaches have to answer to, because they cannot hide. If you yelled at a quarterback in the past at a game, they could see who it was, as could several hundred fans around you, thus keeping things in check. Now, that same person can Boldly(insert sarcasm) comment on here and remain anonymous.

I am as frustrated as anyone and as competitive as anyone when it comes to not only Husker football, but life, but I have realized that negativity does nothing but break down people and solves absolutely nothing. If you have kids, you should know this. Speaking of which, those of you criticizing, would you be doing and saying the same things about replacing the quarterback, safety, etc,. if it was your son, or would you want to encourage and support them to get better? So i go back to my original question, What makes a true Husker fan? Only you can answer that i guess, but please think about it, because these players and coaches have enough to worry about week in and week out from the other teams and fans throughout the country and national media, without having to also deal with it from their own.....so called fanbase.

Ok, I'm done, I hope some of you think hard about this and begin actually supporting the team and not being part of the problem. I for one will be at the game tomorrow, standing, cheering and supporting my team, because they need it, and as a fanbase, so do we.........

What is the point of the negativity? Do you think that helps things as well? These kids and coaches bust their a$$es for US, the fans, and then we bash them because they are doing things that all of us would give almost anything to be able to do. And, we get to remain anonymous, i think that is the hilarious thing......

First of all, yes, I am a first time poster, but am someone who has read this board (and others) religiously for years to get info, to keep up with, and just be amongst other rabid husker fans year round. Time allows me to read, but to not post, so i have refrained this whole time. I am not a troll, but am someone who is ready to post after finally reading enough of this BS. First I have to ask, what makes a Husker fan? Is it someone who openly supports their team through good times(90's) and bad(2000's), no matter the criticisim they recieve at work, from rival fans, etc., or someone who can sit in their living room and badmouth the team, coaches and whoever else that doesn't live up to their expectations, all while not having to show their true face or name? I am all for an active debate on topics such as defensive alignments, offensive plays, the gameplan for upcoming opponents, etc., but to continuously and negatively spew the bs that has come about on this board and many others is starting to show our true colors as the spoiled and entitled must win society that we have become.

I remember the years of Osborne and how he struggled to win the bowl games against speedier opponents. I remember the ones in which a call here or there decided a championship, or just another top five finish. The thing that set it apart from today, was that fact that the criticism was done in local coffee shops, in the stadium, or at someone's home during the game.....IN PERSON. If you criticized, everyone saw who it was and you had to back up your claims. Now, anyone can come on here and spew hate and criticisim knowing that no one will know who they are and that they cannot not held accountable for it, which is unlike what the players and coaches have to answer to, because they cannot hide. If you yelled at a quarterback in the past at a game, they could see who it was, as could several hundred fans around you, thus keeping things in check. Now, that same person can Boldly(insert sarcasm) comment on here and remain anonymous.

I am as frustrated as anyone and as competitive as anyone when it comes to not only Husker football, but life, but I have realized that negativity does nothing but break down people and solves absolutely nothing. If you have kids, you should know this. Speaking of which, those of you criticizing, would you be doing and saying the same things about replacing the quarterback, safety, etc,. if it was your son, or would you want to encourage and support them to get better? So i go back to my original question, What makes a true Husker fan? Only you can answer that i guess, but please think about it, because these players and coaches have enough to worry about week in and week out from the other teams and fans throughout the country and national media, without having to also deal with it from their own.....so called fanbase.

Ok, I'm done, I hope some of you think hard about this and begin actually supporting the team and not being part of the problem. I for one will be at the game tomorrow, standing, cheering and supporting my team, because they need it, and as a fanbase, so do we.........

I mostly agree with what you have to say. And by the way, welcome to the internets. :)

I just think it is kind of funny how we can say anything we want about players, but someone comes on here and gives a little criticism of some of the negative board members and they get a little uneasy. I would rather get back on the topics at hand, such as OSU and how we can be a hostile crowd and send them back to Columbus. Not intending to offend anyone, just make people think......

• Fire 1

I'm in the camp that thinks that trying to tell someone that they're not a true fan because they're not always sunshine-up-my-ass happy about the way their favorite team's performing is asinine.

I want what's best for my favorite team. I want them to win. If I think a certain aspect of the team is preventing the team from winning, I am going to criticize it. Why? Because I can't stand to see the team I love fail.

I am a Husker fan, but if I don't fall into the "true Husker fans", then I guess I'm not one of the "cool kids".

I guess that I'm no longer allowed to call things as I see them (questionable offensive play calling, players not making sounds decisions at critical times, our once proud defense, the corner stone of this team, now a detriment), that I should just blindly cheer this team I've grown up admiring and following since the time I played sandlot football hoping to maybe walk on someday. I shouldn't question anything about this team that might be construed as "negative" because somebodies feelings might get hurt. I'm not able to go to the games and this is the one place where I am allowed to celebrate, commiserate, and vent with fellow Husker fans. I'm not nor have I ever attempted to flex the "internet muscles", but if I see something that I think isn't right, I'm gonna say something about it.

About the criticizing and "what if it was my kid?" My son just graduated from Stony Point HS outside of Austin, Texas. He's 6'5, 250lbs, a very good athlete, and played tight end. He realized beginning of his Junior year, that he wasn't ever going to play varsity. He went a different direction and started playing rugby, where he was an absolute monster. You find something that they enjoy and if they are good at it, even better.

If all this makes me part of the problem, so f'ing be it...

And like i said in an earlier reply. I am calling things as i see them as well, and it seems to be getting the ire of some of you because of it. I came on here to express my disbelief in some of the people who obviously can't remember how bad things have been and how much better they are. Some of the people on here are already discussing Bo needing to leave, or needing a new secondary coach, or whatever..whatever. What makes you happy? Winning 10 games or more makes me happy. Winning a Big 10 championship makes me elated, and Winning it all would absolutely make me estatic, but knowing what the college football atmosphere is currently makes that one a pretty far reach, although still the ultimate goal and it is attainable, but if we run our coaches and players out every 4 years because of our attitudes towards them and because they cannot live up to our weekly expectations, than we will NEVER see it. So you can continue complaining and bashing, as that seems the only way some of you are happy. Kind of like the old man neighbor who complains about politics, doctors, and his family, nothing makes him happy but being grumpy and negative....

what makes a Husker fan? Is it someone who openly supports their team through good times(90's) and bad(2000's), no matter the criticisim they recieve at work, from rival fans, etc., or someone who can sit in their living room and badmouth the team, coaches and whoever else that doesn't live up to their expectations, all while not having to show their true face or name?

I'm not so sure he is a troll. (But maybe.) I think this is the gist of what OP is saying. And it's a good question. But it'll get shot down due to the channel he chose to ask it on--a Husker message board.