Chips are down for Bo, Martinez

zoogs

Chips are down for Bo and Martinez

Decent article by Dirk, fairly good analysis. I don't agree with all of it. I like the part where Chatelain calls for Beck to play to lose. I'm sure he's slammed Callahan for doing the same against USC in 2006, but hey, at least that game didn't end up 48-17, right?

At each opportunity to hedge his bet, Bo Pelini shoved more chips toward No. 3.

Now the pot is large. Bo's stack is small.

He better win this hand. He better be right.

Dirk cuts to the crux of the issue here.

Really when I first saw this, I thought it was going to be the media hate fest I have been anticipating for a while now. But it isn't, not yet. Hopefully that never comes.

I agree with pretty much everything Chatelain said. I like that Bo has the players' backs, but sometimes I wonder if he isn't a little overprotective of Taylor. Not saying he should throw the kid to the wolves, but acting like everything's fine and he can't understand what all the frustration stems from is disingenuous.

• Fire 1

More good lines from an article rife with them.

Pelini, meanwhile, could do Martinez a favor by being honest when he messes up. Downplaying Martinez's mistakes only emboldens the critics.

The negativity surrounding Martinez threatens to sap his confidence, distract his team and undercut the entire program.

And one I disagree with:

NU's quarterback situation is not simply a football issue. It would be simpler if it was. But public perception matters.

Sorry, but it is just simply a football issue.

Is anyone else extremely worried about that lack of depth at the QB position?

As a running QB, the likelihood that Taylor gets injured at some point this season is pretty high.

Regardless of your stance on the QB situation (want Taylor benched, want to see Carnes, etc), everyone should agree that Carnes should get playing time due to the fact that we have ZERO experience behind Taylor.

Like Dirk says, we are all in with Martinez and the odds are not in our favor. We have got to develop some depth or we are done for if Taylor goes down.

This article really nailed it. When we clear away all the BS the issue is pretty simple. A choice was made to go with a quarterback who after 17 starts has done nothing in any key situation to prove he's a quarterback. He lacks a ranged skill set, worsened by the fact that his main asset is pure track speed, and has imploded time and again. Oh, and he's a living turnover machine.

I'm not calling for Carnes. What I'm calling for is preparing him to take the reigns if this nonsense continues. It should have been done in all four non conference games. It should have been done for the end stages of the Wisconsin game. And this isn't some shadowy two-step to create a QB controversy that isn't there; it's common sense. We have an offense predicated upon a running QB. The statistics are overwhelming that he'll get dinged up at some point, even if it's only for a series. But if the worse should happen and Taylor goes down for a season, where's Pelini's stack of chips then?

• Fire 3

Is anyone else extremely worried about that lack of depth at the QB position?

As a running QB, the likelihood that Taylor gets injured at some point this season is pretty high.

Regardless of your stance on the QB situation (want Taylor benched, want to see Carnes, etc), everyone should agree that Carnes should get playing time due to the fact that we have ZERO experience behind Taylor.

Like Dirk says, we are all in with Martinez and the odds are not in our favor. We have got to develop some depth or we are done for if Taylor goes down.

Its a tough postition thou. While i agree, we havent exactly blown anyone out in the non con, and most importantly we are still trying to develop taylor, and he needs all the snaps in every single game. Its hard to develop two quarterbacks in game situations. Like the article said they are putting all their chips in the TMart basket, and getting him every snap possible so he gets better. Right or wrong, thats what they have decided is best for the team. If and when he goes down, well see what the kids got. I almost want to see it happen, if not just for part of a game, might shut people up, or it could make the controversy worse.

This article really nailed it. When we clear away all the BS the issue is pretty simple. A choice was made to go with a quarterback who after 17 starts has done nothing in any key situation to prove he's a quarterback. He lacks a ranged skill set, worsened by the fact that his main asset is pure track speed, and has imploded time and again. Oh, and he's a living turnover machine.

I'm not calling for Carnes. What I'm calling for is preparing him to take the reigns if this nonsense continues. It should have been done in all four non conference games. It should have been done for the end stages of the Wisconsin game. And this isn't some shadowy two-step to create a QB controversy that isn't there; it's common sense. We have an offense predicated upon a running QB. The statistics are overwhelming that he'll get dinged up at some point, even if it's only for a series. But if the worse should happen and Taylor goes down for a season, where's Pelini's stack of chips then?

Agreed. The main thing that bothers me about this offense is that they can't march down 80 yards and score a td. It's either on a big play or end up kicking a field goal and those two ways shouldn't be the only time we score. I heard something on the Wyoming game that Bo said that irked me. He could live with the Big plays from Taylor, but Bo what happens when we are limited by big plays or get none at all? It's a guaranteed loss. this offense has regressed from last year. Now every team left will key in on the big plays and try to limit them. If Carnes can march the team down the field and score a td and not rely solely on big plays to score then he needs to be in there. Bo really needs to see what he has in his back ups.

Agreed. The main thing that bothers me about this offense is that they can't march down 80 yards and score a td. It's either on a big play or end up kicking a field goal and those two ways shouldn't be the only time we score. I heard something on the Wyoming game that Bo said that irked me. He could live with the Big plays from Taylor, but Bo what happens when we are limited by big plays or get none at all? It's a guaranteed loss. this offense has regressed from last year. Now every team left will key in on the big plays and try to limit them. If Carnes can march the team down the field and score a td and not rely solely on big plays to score then he needs to be in there. Bo really needs to see what he has in his back ups.

It hasn't regressed at all. I think just about everyone would tell you that it is better, or maybe has more potential. What is the same is a QB that is not capable of 'Consistent' & 'Reliable' distribution of the ball.

These games are going to get ugly folks. Be prepared.

You hit the nail on the head once again Pennywise. +1.

It hasn't regressed at all. I think just about everyone would tell you that it is better, or maybe has more potential. What is the same is a QB that is not capable of 'Consistent' & 'Reliable' distribution of the ball.

These games are going to get ugly folks. Be prepared.

Well i remember scoring more tds last year than this year at this point.