So um...

bdubb75

I might get ripped for this, but at this point Boise State is head and shoulders above us. They are better at almost every facet of the game. They are better coached, disciplined, and they are winners. I am not saying we can't get there and I won't get into their strength-of-schedule. To me it is a reality and it is pretty cut and dry.

I saw a Boise player jawing with a Fresno player on the sideline in the 3rd quarter. It was completely unnecessary. There was no flag thrown and it really didn't have an effect on the game. It was refreshing to see Peterson run over and calmly tell the Boise player to take a seat because he was done. You don't really see that as much as you use to.

Boise has been better than Nebraska for going on a decade.

Boise has been much, much better than Nebraska. They have fabulous coaching there. They are the pinnacle program for great coaching --- they play every play of every quarter of every game -- irrespective of score --- with incredible intensity and focus --- both sides of the ball w/o exception. They do not miss assignments, miss tackles, drop passes, get dumb penalties --- they are sensationally well disciplined and play with fire and near super-human effort -- but in a controlled and disciplined manner.

NU is, essentially, the polar opposite. We have more talent --- I am thinking quite a bit more (except that they recruit QB's, real QB's, and we do not). They, however, know how to use their talent and make it gel and unify as a team. Their play calling is extraordinary.

They have been,and continue to be, several levels (at least) ahead of us.

I know it doesn't matter now....but, I just checked the ESPN site and saw Boise leading Fresno St 50-0 in the 3rd quarter. Is our D that bad that we let Fresno St gash us? Were we having a 'bad day'? Again, I know it doesn't matter but those are some staggering numbers.

Yes our D is that bad. Bo needs to hand out the pink shirts for our D then maybe they will step up.

agree, for the first time ever, i don't think blackshirts get issued this season.

Boise has been better than Nebraska for going on a decade.

Boise has been much, much better than Nebraska. They have fabulous coaching there. They are the pinnacle program for great coaching --- they play every play of every quarter of every game -- irrespective of score --- with incredible intensity and focus --- both sides of the ball w/o exception. They do not miss assignments, miss tackles, drop passes, get dumb penalties --- they are sensationally well disciplined and play with fire and near super-human effort -- but in a controlled and disciplined manner.

NU is, essentially, the polar opposite. We have more talent --- I am thinking quite a bit more (except that they recruit QB's, real QB's, and we do not). They, however, know how to use their talent and make it gel and unify as a team. Their play calling is extraordinary.

They have been,and continue to be, several levels (at least) ahead of us.

wow, sounds like a description of the old NU teams of the 90's.

...Once upon a time (many years ago), I was having a conversation (albeit on the inter-web) with a guy who went by the handle "Cal Man" who was a fan of Cal (duh). Cal was not even ranked at the time and it was half way through the season, but Cal Man went on this rant about how Cal should be in the top 10. His argument went something like this: Cal beat Oregon State by 35, who beat Washington by 10 who beat Colorado by 18...and on and on and on...( I'm making up those teams and scores by the way, but that is the type of argument he was making). By the time he was done he had Cal in the top 10 based on their blow out of Oregon State and the teams that all those other teams played. Of course in my response (being the smart-ass that I am) I was able to get unranked 2-3 Navy to #1. From that conversation on, in my house, whenever you start the "we beat them and they beat so-and-so, and they won by this much and we won by that much" ....we call that "Cal Man logic". It doesn't matter what Boise State does to Fresno State. It was a different game, a few weeks later, different emotions, different match-ups, etc. I don't disagree that Boise looks better than us...I'm just saying, you can't always judge how much better or worse a team is, based on ONE common opponent. Overall strength of schedule yes, but not one game.

...Once upon a time (many years ago), I was having a conversation (albeit on the inter-web) with a guy who went by the handle "Cal Man" who was a fan of Cal (duh). Cal was not even ranked at the time and it was half way through the season, but Cal Man went on this rant about how Cal should be in the top 10. His argument went something like this: Cal beat Oregon State by 35, who beat Washington by 10 who beat Colorado by 18...and on and on and on...( I'm making up those teams and scores by the way, but that is the type of argument he was making). By the time he was done he had Cal in the top 10 based on their blow out of Oregon State and the teams that all those other teams played. Of course in my response (being the smart-ass that I am) I was able to get unranked 2-3 Navy to #1. From that conversation on, in my house, whenever you start the "we beat them and they beat so-and-so, and they won by this much and we won by that much" ....we call that "Cal Man logic". It doesn't matter what Boise State does to Fresno State. It was a different game, a few weeks later, different emotions, different match-ups, etc. I don't disagree that Boise looks better than us...I'm just saying, you can't always judge how much better or worse a team is, based on ONE common opponent. Overall strength of schedule yes, but not one game.

"Cal man logic"....lol!

100% agree you can't compare teams due to "one" common opponent. Footballs can bounce in a totally unpredictable way weeks or months later. Also throw in injuries, improvements, liabilities, special teams, etc....just wayyyyyy to many variables.

Most high school coaches go to clinics that are hosted by teams that do not get super star players, because it translates more to the kind of talent that most high schools have. By that I mean, most high school coaches would rather listen to a college coach from CSU or BYU or Boise then they would Bama, LSU, Florida and the like.

It makes sense because most high school coaches dont have players like those kinds of schools. Long story short, high school coaches loved going to BSU camps to listen to the assistants. The rumor, years ago was that Hawkins was not the reason for the team being good but that he had assistant coaches that were studs.

Looks to be true.

Teams like Boise (and Wisconsin) should give us hope, because they prove that a program can overcome geographic and other obstacles to recruiting and still field a great team. While they are totally different styles, they have many things in common that contribute to their success. We can get there, but it all starts between the ears and goes from there.