Wildcat on Fourth & One

Trendon

The entire college football world - beginning and ending with the Nebraska coaching staff, namely Beck - needs to start reading Football Outsiders and advancednflstats.com. I am about as old-school as they come and I resisted for so long, but the abject stupidity of coaches on BOTH third and fourth downs is now ridiculous.

I know, I know .. they are just kids and just love them. I get it. I am a lurker. However, while the entire game of football is evolving, when will our coaches (Nebraska or not) follow suit?

I agree and have some thoughts about this, but I am interested in your specific breakdown here. Thanks!

Just start reading about Scorecasting or either of the two sites I mentioned. The behavior of coaches on third and fourth down is completely ridiculous. What Bo and/or Beck just pulled was one of the most absurd fourth down calls I have ever seen.

Didn't Kyler Reed completely wiff a block that led to the play getting stuffed? Doesn't matter what you call if you can't execute.

That's my contention. If the TE is a major cause of problems on your fourth-and-one call - which represents, on average, 20% of your average yards gained per play - then you called the wrong play. As I alluded to in the opening post, this is rampant throughout college football - excluding the Pacific 12; they get it - but because we are all Huskers here and watching them play, I finally had it.

I agree and have some thoughts about this, but I am interested in your specific breakdown here. Thanks!

Just start reading about Scorecasting or either of the two sites I mentioned. The behavior of coaches on third and fourth down is completely ridiculous. What Bo and/or Beck just pulled was one of the most absurd fourth down calls I have ever seen.

Interesting stuff but can you specify what your issue was? You can't always fit CFB situations into NFL stat comparisons because there are so many differences. Most absurd call you've ever seen? You'll really have to explain this because we've all seen some really dumb calls, and the Wildcat has probably gone for positive yards 95% of the time we've run it. Are you saying we should have punted or just called a different play? I personally liked the call and think that with a blocking TE in Reed's place we probably get 3-4 yards. But I'll definitely change my mind if you get into more details.

if you go for it and get it on 4th down you're a Mad Hatter.

if you go for it and don't get it, you're sticking your Hat out, asking for Mad donations---because you're unemployed. My dad was a CFB coach for almost 2 decades, he said, "PUNT THE BALL ON 4TH DOWN"

Didn't Kyler Reed completely wiff a block that led to the play getting stuffed? Doesn't matter what you call if you can't execute.

He wiffed alright. He makes that block and it's a first down.

ExxxxFU#$aaaactly!!! Kyler is very good at catching and getting open, but not the best at blocking. Cotton is a better blocking TE. Still....we just witnessed NU history...YEAHH BOIIII!!!

That's the absolute truth. And that's why the interception at the end of the first half still has to be on TM. It was a bad call, but also poorly executed. And I'm sorry I'm not bagging on TM because I think he grew leaps and bounds tonight, it's just that you are so right. Almost any play can/will work if it is executed properly.

The failed 4th and 1 wasn't the result of the formation being wildcat, it was because of of one player not executing his job. If Reed hits that block, that play goes for a lot more than just a yard, it looked like there was some running room out there.

That's what Bo continues to say, we just have to execute.