Presser

Don't feel like talking more about the presser tonight, but that's not what Dirk said and that certainly isn't what he opened with. Whether Dirk deserved it or not, Bo was the one who sought him out and turned this into an engagement. Of course I gather the vast majority opinion is cheering Bo on for that :)

I cannot believe how quick some people are to support Bo for acting like a jackass. If Edward R. Murrow himself would have got snapped at by Bo he would be a crappy reporter apparently.

It may not be comfortable, but some questions just need to be asked. Was Dirk's one of them? Maybe, maybe not. For someone who "cares" so little about what the media says, he jammed his foot pretty far up his mouth snapping at a reporting after he told him how much he disproved of his article.

• Fire 2

GMoose....he was asking some straight up dumb questions that barely had any revelance to the game. He was just trying to test Bo and not be a PROFESSIONAL journalist...that's my opinion on the matter....GBR

I agree, it wasn't a terribly important thing to ask at the time. But that's how Dirk operates - sometimes you has to take risks to get to the good stuff. People freak out on him cause Bo doesn't like him, they need to realize he's doing his job. OWH doesn't just go around hiring scrubs.

No discussion from me as of yet but I'll just leave a transcript of the last quarter of the presser here, in the interests of a discussion based not on half-quotes or misinformation.

--

Dirk: Hey Bo, what impressed you the most about Taylor tonight?

Bo: You watched the game. You figure it out, huh?... What do you think?

Dirk: I thought he played with a lot of poise.

Bo: Mm-hm. So do I. Especially considering, you know, the articles...and things you did, did everything you could to rattle the guy.

Dirk: Who did?

Bo: You. I read your article. Friday.

Dirk: What'd you think of the crowd at the end of the first half?

Bo: What do you think? I could care less.

Dirk: It looked like you went like 'this' to them at one point.

Bo: I didn't do anything of the sort.

Dirk: Did that motivate guys, I mean, hearing the boos going into the half?

Bo: Our team is motivated period.

Dirk: Do you think Taylor would have been able to do what he did ...

Bo: I'm done with you. Let's get somebody who asks a question that's worth answering.

Other guy: Can you talk about the bye week coming up, is this the perfect time?

Bo: What's that?

Other guy: Bye week? Can you talk about if this is a good time for the bye?

Bo: Yeah, I think this is a good time. I think our football team is about half way, I think they need a break. Mentally and physically.

Guy #3: What is the key to seizing momentum when it's there to be seized, what did you guys do to do that, really take full control?

Bo: We played better football. We executed. That's what the game comes down to, execution. Same group of guys who played the second half played the first half. We executed better in the second half, we didn't execute very well in the first half.

Guy #4: How does it feel to beat your alma mater?

Bo: It's not about me, it's about the football team.

Bo: Thank you. (Leaves)

(Applause)

http://www.omaha.com...ten-home-opener

• Fire 1

GMoose....he was asking some straight up dumb questions that barely had any revelance to the game. He was just trying to test Bo and not be a PROFESSIONAL journalist...that's my opinion on the matter....GBR

I agree, it wasn't a terribly important thing to ask at the time. But that's how Dirk operates - sometimes you has to take risks to get to the good stuff. People freak out on him cause Bo doesn't like him, they need to realize he's doing his job. OWH doesn't just go around hiring scrubs.

Making the media and himself the story is not part of his job as a reporter. If he were a columnist that might be different. But he's now the Fox News of Nebraska football reporting. One of the biggest story lines the past two season is how the media likes to piss Bo off and then to chastise him for getting the reaction they were trying to get. Shouldn't the beat reporter actually cover the beat and not be it? I will bet that most everything he does now will be more about making a lot of noise to draw attention to himself and the OWH than covering the team. In the end they be like ... oh yeah we'll throw in a bit of football so it looks like we're trying to cover that objectively. As a former journalist he's embarrassing to me and the exact example of what we were taught not to do.

Someone made the comment about handling Dirk in private. Its been done more than once. And Bo addressing this clown is nothing on the time TO took a guy to task and made him look like a fool.

• Fire 3

I will use this analogy about the whole Bo vs. Dirk situation:

Husker fans are very knowledgable fans when it comes to football. We know good football when we see it. We know bad football when we see it. We know when the game is being played the right way.

I think we also know when a sports journalist is offering a fair objective view to what he/she is reporting on, and then we know when a sports journalist is completely...(forgive the term)..."out of bounds."

Dirk falls into this "out of bounds" category in my opinion. Too often he is trying to create a story instead of just reporting on the actual story.

Anyone care to add to this?

Very fair way of looking at it +1

Dirk: What'd you think of the crowd at the end of the first half?

Bo: What do you think? I could care less.

He so obviously cares

Dirk: It looked like you went like 'this' to them at one point.

Bo: I didn't do anything of the sort.

Then I guess it WAS directed at Tim Beck after all then.

• Fire 1

I like Dirk's writing. I love Husker football, but I don't want sunshine pumped up my a$$ about the Huskers. I want some reality and I think he provides that.

I'm sure in his day T.O. had some unflattering columns / articles written about him, but T.O. has one thing Bo does not have and that's class.

Making the media and himself the story is not part of his job as a reporter. If he were a columnist that might be different. But he's now the Fox News of Nebraska football reporting. One of the biggest story lines the past two season is how the media likes to piss Bo off and then to chastise him for getting the reaction they were trying to get. Shouldn't the beat reporter actually cover the beat and not be it? I will bet that most everything he does now will be more about making a lot of noise to draw attention to himself and the OWH than covering the team. In the end they be like ... oh yeah we'll throw in a bit of football so it looks like we're trying to cover that objectively. As a former journalist he's embarrassing to me and the exact example of what we were taught not to do.

Someone made the comment about handling Dirk in private. Its been done more than once. And Bo addressing this clown is nothing on the time TO took a guy to task and made him look like a fool.

Nail on the head here da skers. Couldn't agree more.