Presser

It is a sad commentary on the state of the modern fan when a newspaper reporter who has gone out of his way to write incendiary articles gets more defense from Husker fans than our coach and the player the reporter targets.

I'm curious, how many people truly believe that reporters go out of their way to anger/criticize/demean/question/rile/etc. Bo?

Me. It is abundantly clear that Dirk has an agenda, and has had for a couple of years.

You cannot tell me this is even remotely objective journalism, or that Dirk isn't going out of his way to criticize with lines like this:

Let's face it, he doesn't quite fit in here. Not like some players. He's a West Coast introvert and he can't go anywhere without being recognized. He would feel more comfortable somewhere he could blend in.

It is not necessary for Dirk Chatelain to assert that Taylor Martinez does or doesn't fit in at Nebraska. It is not necessary for him to assert that Martinez would feel more comfortable elsewhere. A good journalist wouldn't need to stoop to such theatrics.

He's an idiot, and he doesn't have the common sense to stop when he's put in his place. As long as he continues to write crap like this, I'll continue to denounce him.

:yeah

GBR!!!

You know why the story lines are people thinking the story line is how the media tries to piss off Bo just to get his reaction? Because Bo gets pissed off by the media way too easily. Are we just supposed to lob him softballs to keep him happy? Hell no. Do you honestly think the reporters in there want that badly to piss off Bo? Do you how uncomfortable that is as a reporter? I know some think each media member is a cold soulless bastard, but they don't like getting railed like that.

Dirk wasn't out of bounds at all. He's not trying to force the story, he's trying to get what's there with what little insight Bo gives.

Hi, there's this thing called online advertising. You see, the OWH makes money through page hits. The best way to guarantee page hits is to write inflamatory stories that will spread like wildfire.

That's how writers like Dirk stay employed. You're extremely naive if you don't see this.

It is a sad commentary on the state of the modern fan when a newspaper reporter who has gone out of his way to write incendiary articles gets more defense from Husker fans than our coach and the player the reporter targets.

I'm curious, how many people truly believe that reporters go out of their way to anger/criticize/demean/question/rile/etc. Bo?

Any person who's not dumb enough to believe everything the media says as gospel.

Some reporters, not all, make a name for themselves by writing critical stories. But I can pretty much guarantee you that reporters don't go into press conferences with Bo thinking about how to piss him off to up their website hits, even a guy like Dirk. That's just not what it's like, and it's naive to think this is as big of a scheme you make it out to be. Dirk has seemed to have an agenda with this program for the last few years, but I truly doubt he wants to get slapped around like Bo did to him last night, all in the name of website hits. That's embarrassing for a reporter.

Dirk has dug himself his own grave with Pelini I think. Dirk has always been critical, always asked reasonable questions but then written critically about those answers. However, you'll notice that Dirk is one of the few Nebraska reporters who gets the most flak from readers, and rightfully so. I'm fairly sure Dirk's first question to Bo was a reasonable one, but because Bo knew it was Dirk who asked it, and because Bo didn't like what Dirk wrote, Bo railed on him.

I mean, here's the thing: Bo was never going to answer any of Dirk's questions. Dirk had called out Taylor and called out Bo with an article, an article that had a couple of good points but those were few and far between - it was mostly a terrible stir-the-pot article. It was unprofessional and was a knock against Taylor and Bo that fans everywhere were reading and was arguably a distraction to Bo and the team. So Bo had every right to attack back. Hope Dirk learned his lesson.

God I hate Dirk. Dude is barely literate and is such a tool.

dirk is clearly just trying to get a rise out of bo. those questions are ridiculous and childish. he focuses on the worst parts of the game and keeps digging at them. if you are going to play that game, do it with some tact and intelligence.

Some reporters, not all, make a name for themselves by writing critical stories. But I can pretty much guarantee you that reporters don't go into press conferences with Bo thinking about how to piss him off to up their website hits, even a guy like Dirk. That's just not what it's like, and it's naive to think this is as big of a scheme you make it out to be. Dirk has seemed to have an agenda with this program for the last few years, but I truly doubt he wants to get slapped around like Bo did to him last night, all in the name of website hits. That's embarrassing for a reporter.

Dirk has dug himself his own grave with Pelini I think. Dirk has always been critical, always asked reasonable questions but then written critically about those answers. However, you'll notice that Dirk is one of the few Nebraska reporters who gets the most flak from readers, and rightfully so. I'm fairly sure Dirk's first question to Bo was a reasonable one, but because Bo knew it was Dirk who asked it, and because Bo didn't like what Dirk wrote, Bo railed on him.

The single most damning indictment of Dirk Chatelain is the room applauded Bo as he left, just after the exchange with Dirk.

If that were a trial, Dirk would have just been convicted by a jury of his peers.

• Fire 1

You know why the story lines are people thinking the story line is how the media tries to piss off Bo just to get his reaction? Because Bo gets pissed off by the media way too easily. Are we just supposed to lob him softballs to keep him happy? Hell no. Do you honestly think the reporters in there want that badly to piss off Bo? Do you how uncomfortable that is as a reporter? I know some think each media member is a cold soulless bastard, but they don't like getting railed like that.

Dirk wasn't out of bounds at all. He's not trying to force the story, he's trying to get what's there with what little insight Bo gives.

Hi, there's this thing called online advertising. You see, the OWH makes money through page hits. The best way to guarantee page hits is to write inflamatory stories that will spread like wildfire.

That's how writers like Dirk stay employed. You're extremely naive if you don't see this.

Any person who's not dumb enough to believe everything the media says as gospel.

Well said.

I'm not attacking Dirk mostly because I agree with his long-haul assessment of Martinez. It's fickle to jump on Martinez for one bad performance (against UW) but it's just as fickle to anoint him a super star for one good performance (last night).

I'm not a Martinez hater, I just don't think we win championships with him. I would argue that last night was far and away his best performance considering the caliber of OSU's defense.

IMO this whole thing started with Dirk's article from friday and I just agree with most of the stuff he said in it.

The single most damning indictment of Dirk Chatelain is the room applauded Bo as he left, just after the exchange with Dirk.

If that were a trial, Dirk would have just been convicted by a jury of his peers.

Are you saying the applause was directed at Dirk rather than the 21 point comeback?

Are you saying the applause was directed at Dirk rather than the 21 point comeback?

Yes.

GMoose - you agree with Dirk's criticism of Martinez. Do you also agree with the manner in which Dirk went about criticizing him?

In the article or the presser?

you're asking a lot of questions... i'm beginning to wonder if you are not, in fact, dirk.

Right here. Since it's, ya know, obvious and everything.

GMoose - you agree with Dirk's criticism of Martinez. Do you also agree with the manner in which Dirk went about criticizing him?

In the article or the presser?

The article.

Point 1 - No. The Madison meltdown was on Beck IMO, not Martinez' fault if they don't play to his strengths.

Points 2-5 - Yes.

Point 6 - Didn't really think about this until I saw the article. But that point is more about Bo than Martinez, so not really relevant here.

Point 7 - Absolutely.

Point 8 - Not really much opinion in there.

Point 9 - Yes.

Point 10 - Yes.