Presser

Just my two cents...I thought Dirk's article was fair and not too harsh at all. Basically he said that if our DB's get left off the travel squad after a bad game then why is Taylor immune to this? There should be no reason for it. sh#t, he even said he thought Taylor should play against Ohio State.

Dirk was wrong in his article in regards to the point you bring up. Dirk took an extremely complicated situation and turned it into a simplistic concept, which it purely isn't. The starting quarterback is an entirely different league than a DB left off of the travel roster. By far. Quarterback is the most important position on a football field. Dirk suggested that Martinez is in a position to be sat at home for a weekend, and said Bo holds his players to double standards.

News flash, Dirk - everybody holds the quarterback to a double standard. Are you or are you not a sports journalist?

If Taylor had another game like last week then he shouldn't be starting. That was the entire premise of the article and I if it had happened everybody would be singing the same tune as Dirk. Thankfully it didn't happen and Taylor had a great game.

I should mention that just because I think Dirk wrote a fair article doesn't mean I don't think the part where Pelini called him out wasn't awesome. But the rest of the conference I stand by my criticism of Bo.

Who's going to start in his place? We are really thin at qb. The offense almost shuts down without a quarterback.

I guess we should be proud of that?...

Dan Beebe disagrees, though.

So you never thought it was juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit fishy that we never heard about anybody getting prosecuted for making terroristic threats, despite all those tens of thousands of Husker fans allegedly (that being the key word here) making them?

It made perfect sense to you that Dan wasn't willing to send a low-profile representative of the Big XII to present the trophy?

You honestly believed that no security detail on the planet would be capable of stopping the tiny handful of Husker fans irate enough (and stupid enough) to actually attempt to take Dan's life as he presented the trophy to us?

The defense rests, your honor.

I guess we should be proud of that?...

Dan Beebe disagrees, though.

So you never thought it was juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit fishy that we never heard about anybody getting prosecuted for making terroristic threats, despite all those tens of thousands of Husker fans allegedly (that being the key word here) making them?

It made perfect sense to you that Dan wasn't willing to send a low-profile representative of the Big XII to present the trophy?

You honestly believed that no security detail on the planet would be capable of stopping the tiny handful of Husker fans irate enough (and stupid enough) to actually attempt to take Dan's life as he presented the trophy to us?

The defense rests, your honor.

Dan Beebe is one of the lamest people alive, I brought his name up as a joke, and because he was in the news trashing Nebraska again today.

Still though, there are a lot of Husker fans trying to defend the fair-weather fans by saying things like, "Well, at least we're not as bad as THEM," or "Well, every fan base has fans that boo and overly criticize their players." That's a terrible defense.

this is one man's opinion.

i offer without comment.

Barfnecht wrote a similar article for the OWH too, which I'm not going to link to.

Personally I found it hilarious that the OWH sent out Lee Barfnecht to defend Dirk Chatelain. Barfnecht is basically the exact same type of writer, except he's older and now covers the conference rather than Nebraska (which is exactly what Chatelain is going to do when UNL or Dirk get too sick of one another to continue on the way they have been).

I thought that Bo probably vented all his anger concerning Dirk's article, but now with a second writer from the OWH chiming in, I wonder if the University will start ignoring the OWH like they did a few months ago and start giving more access to the OWH's competitors.

I think the media department/SID should just start doing what the President does... (and I'm not talking about just the current President... it's pretty well known that most, if not all, Presidents have done this at some point)... if someone does something egregious enough... just ban them from the press conferences after the game for a period of time, til they can figure out you don't bite the hand that feeds you, so to speak. In other words, if you're going to cover Husker football for a living, have a little more respect. I know plenty of people have their own opinions of Taylor, who Taylor is... and I know if you don't like Taylor, it's easy to side with someone criticizing Taylor... but I think that article on Friday went WAY over the line. Again... making yourself the story, rather than reporting the story. I tend to think we've got into this world of opinions mattering more than facts. I tend to agree with my father-in-law in some respects... it used to be if you wanted to report on a particular topic, you went to school and got experience in that topic. Nowadays... you go to a school of journalism and become a 'journalist'. I think we've lost knowledge of situations and integrity because of that turn away from knowledge in the field you report on. (On a side note... it ties into the reason I don't like the broadcast booth as well... Greg does a phenomenal job, but Fiala communicated his knowledge in a practical, common-man way with class and style... and Davison just doesn't seem to be able to bring that same level of communication) All right... now that I've done my tangent and my book... I'm off to bed, or something. O.o

I read some of the comments on Dirks article about that game last night. Most of them that called Bo a buffoon and other names were clearly stating that "you treat others the way you want to be treated."

If that is true, both Bo and Taylor should be able to write incriminating articles about Dirk.

Fact of the matter is, Dirk got what he deserved.

I just recently watched Taylor's post game interview. First time ive seen him smile, and he was laughing at something in the background, couldn't tell what. He also got somewhat of an applause as he walked away.

The most frustrating thing in that news conference to me was the question directly about the fans at the end of the first half. Does anyone really want Bo's opinion on the fans at the end of the first half? Does anyone really want to hear what a coach thinks of fans booing? Is it a question that really needs answered? As it was asked, it was incredibly leading, gotcha, and ultimately stupid. Dirk was just trying to set him up for some juicy quote he can put in his next article about how Bo hates the fans.

If you wanted to ask that question without trying to be such a dick, just ask what Bo thought of the crowd. Generalize the question. Who knows, maybe Bo says "The crowd was great at the end there. The place was rockin. It was fun." or maybe he says "I was disappointed at the end of the half when we started hearing boo's". Everyone wants Bo to be more positive, but they refuse to ask positive questions. They just want him to say mean sh#t they can put in the paper. I don't see this getting any better.

Sipple is the staff's mouthpiece. It's completely unsurprising coming from Sip. I don't think he represents the majority of the media opinion, though. Bo is rough, not just against Dirk. See that post-practice interview from last week.

Similarly Dirk has it out for the staff, but his article does not deserve to be vilified the way it has been. That outburst was more about Dirk's history of articles and his history with the staff than it was about the one that came out Friday in my opinion. You know what though, not worth talking about. I know it's a battle that can't be won and I won't waste my breath. Bo has drawn the lines: you're either on his side, or on Dirk's side.

I am just disappointed that after the huge positive that was that tOSU win, we need to have battle lines drawn out like that between fans, especially when Dirk's article echoed the sentiment of much of the fanbase. Just read the pre-tOSU comments under it.

I support Bo (almost feel like I have to say this disclaimer to avoid being jumped), but you know what? Dirk's article was not trash either. I'll stand by that. The anger against it...I think a lot of it is a result of the HC's evident anger against it. Nonetheless, you can support both Bo and agree with the article.

I thought Sipple was right on when he said that Dirk's article suggested that Martinez was "one subpar outing away from being benched," and that Dirk implied, "if Martinez fails, so does the head coach." I also think that while the "QB controversy" that Sipple mentioned was driven far more by social media than by the press, Chatelain lent credence to that discussion which he was entirely out of place in doing.

Anyways, he doesn't deserve extra points because it echoed the sentiment of much of the fan base. Much of that segment of the fan base was shown this weekend to be either fair-weather bandwagoners, or simply ill-informed fans who were wrong about most of their criticism of Martinez last week. That article was just as wrong on Friday as it was two days later.

Furthermore, the idea that the anger about Chatelain's article is the result of the HC's anger is false. Go read the thread that was started about it before the Ohio State game.

Right: if you held a different opinion on Taylor, you were shown to be either a fairweather bandwagoner, or misinformed.

One thing about that article, I was all but ready to make my thread one in defense of Bo Pelini and slamming Dirk for it. I saw that link and heard that Dirk let it out all for this one and thought, "Oh, no. Here comes the point where the media starts turning on Bo." If/when we start having a bad year, that *will* happen, and I'll be at the front lines of Bo P secret service. But the article wasn't that way at all. Anyway, enough about the article. Far too many people are angry at that article and I won't discuss it further.