Barfknecht: Peevish postgame does NU no favors

The bottom line here is that Bo has made pointless enemies out of many in the media, and not just Dirk. Barf touts the powers of the media a bit more than he should, but what's going to happen once we start losing is that the negative articles are going to come out and it is going to be really, really ugly for Bo.

Bo is a good coach running a good program. He has to treat the media better though. Right now they are just waiting for the license to come out with the anti-Bo venom, which they will if the team starts slipping up more. Do not want to see that happen to Bo.

knapp, yeah, I was responding to the first quote in there. My apologies!

What is the media going to do to Bo? Let's say the World Herald declares war on Bo Pelini (for argument's sake). So? What are they going to do?

The more they try to get into it with him, the worse they're going to look. It's not a matter of Bo has to placate the press, because Bo doesn't depend on the press to do his job. The press depends on Bo more than he needs them.

If the World Herald fell completely out of favor with Bo, and Bo kept winning and producing solid young men, the World Herald loses, not Bo.

I agree with that, zoogies.

I'm not saying Bo needs to be buddy buddy with the media, but for his sake I think it's important to maintain good relations with them. Now, I realize Dirk and Barf are just two reporters, but every other person who reports on Nebraska has witnessed how Bo treats his media sessions. When we lose games or w/e, we want the media to portray things as objectively as they can, not be slightly biased against Bo for how he treats them. It could lead to tainted journalism outside the realm of Dirk and Barf.

I'm not saying Bo needs to be buddy buddy with the media, but for his sake I think it's important to maintain good relations with them. Now, I realize Dirk and Barf are just two reporters, but every other person who reports on Nebraska has witnessed how Bo treats his media sessions. When we lose games or w/e, we want the media to portray things as objectively as they can, not be slightly biased against Bo for how he treats them. It could lead to tainted journalism outside the realm of Dirk and Barf.

Agree that Bo shouldn't openly antagonize the press for no reason. I wish he didn't do this. But if that leads to tainted journalism, that's on the press, not Bo.

These men are adults, professionals. As much as Bo should behave better, they should also behave better. It's an ugly situation all around.

It's not a matter of one newspaper declaring war on Bo. It's if this team starts struggling, the media is going to really turn on him, and it will be pretty ugly. They can't do much, you're right, but they do set the tone to an extent and it will get pretty ugly.

They will not do this if Bo keeps winning. Like sharks, they're waiting for blood. But when they smell it, they'll pounce. I don't think "should Bo be fired" should even be a conversation this year, even if we struggle more. But they will make it center stage...so, I hope Bo keeps winning.

I can see your point that it's on the press, not on Bo...but the end result is Bo and his program catch the flak for it. The press is always like this, especially one that has been antagonized (somewhat pointlessly). I wish Bo would save himself the trouble. Negativity weighs the program down.

It's not a matter of one newspaper declaring war on Bo. It's if this team starts struggling, the media is going to really turn on him, and it will be pretty ugly. They can't do much, you're right, but they do set the tone to an extent and it will get pretty ugly.

They will not do this if Bo keeps winning. Like sharks, they're waiting for blood. But when they smell it, they'll pounce. I don't think "should Bo be fired" should even be a conversation this year, even if we struggle more. But they will make it center stage...so, I hope Bo keeps winning.

Dirk insinuated that if Martinez fails, Bo should suffer the consequences. "The stakes are high Saturday night for the coach and his quarterback. Pelini hitched his program to Martinez." This is what I'm on about - the article was written in an unnecessary manner.

I cannot for the life of me understand how people can support the OWH in this situation. Quit trying to make a name for yourself like you are some gossip tabloid. The fact that Barf released this garbage shows what they really care about. I am glad Bo went off. If you claim to be the "best news source" in Nebraska blah blah blah, then you would think that your employees, particularly ones that publish articles, would have enough intelligence to ask a question with more common sense than "Do you think Martinez was motivated to play tonight?"

People get on Bo for how he handles these clowns, but honestly stupid gets what stupid deserves.

Dirk insinuated that if Martinez fails, Bo should suffer the consequences. "The stakes are high Saturday night for the coach and his quarterback. Pelini hitched his program to Martinez." This is what I'm on about - the article was written in an unnecessary manner.

We're hugging this one out :P so I won't disagree about parts of the article being a little testy. Just think it could have been a lot worse. We may have to agree to disagree on the article. I do think the stakes were pretty high Saturday night and that Bo hitched this team to Taylor. Not wrongly, as they went a long way in showing on Saturday.

I cannot for the life of me understand how people can support the OWH in this situation. Quit trying to make a name for yourself like you are some gossip tabloid. The fact that Barf released this garbage shows what they really care about. I am glad Bo went off. If you claim to be the "best news source" in Nebraska blah blah blah, then you would think that your employees, particularly ones that publish articles, would have enough intelligence to ask a question with more common sense than "Do you think Martinez was motivated to play tonight?"

People get on Bo for how he handles these clowns, but honestly stupid gets what stupid deserves.

What Dirk actually asked, in fairness, is: "What impressed you most about Taylor tonight."

You may be combining that with another one of his questions, which was "Did the booing at halftime motivate you guys?" (or something along those lines)

Bo doesn't even answer legitimate football questions in the interviews. I don't even care to watch his pressers anymore because he says the same damn things every week. The only reason I watched this presser was to see what all the fuss was about with Dirk. But, the thing that I remember about it was not that he went off on Dirk, it was this.

"Can you elaborate more about the defensive adjustments that were made in the seond half?" "No"

We complain about stupid questions being asked, then when a good question is asked he won't even give it the time of day. That is a question football fans are curious about. Something that will help fans learn the game a little better, he won't answer them. Why can't he answer these questions? The game is over, its not like tOSU is going to use his presser answer to prepare for next years game.

• Fire 1

While this statement may be pretty critical, I don't think it crossed a line or was unfair. After all, if Taylor started to really play poorly, our team (and therefore Pelini) would be in poor shape. Our depth at quarterback is weaker than it could be and while that's just how things shake out sometimes, the way Bo has stuck with Taylor through all last year didn't help the matter.

this should have been the end of the article:

Our reply is that Pelini can run his football program any way he sees fit, just as we will do our job.

and this is the stupidest reason to care:

I've been to Wisconsin, Iowa and Ohio State for games, and talked with writers from the major Michigan markets about what they think of Nebraska. The Big Ten media corps, after half a season, already has had a bellyful of Bo.

"Bo Buzzkill'' is what ESPN.com Big Ten blogger Adam Rittenberg labeled Pelini after a bunch of non-answers to teleconference questions about Pelini's ties to Ohio State.

if TO and the fans don't care, then who cares. and even then, the only thing he is doing wrong is rubbing a few people wrong. so what if he acts a bit pugnacious, that is how he chooses to respond. are reporters saying they are mad that he isn't giving them the answers they want? is that what it comes down to? they are too lazy to come up with story lines without bo's articulate and handcrafted (by them) responses? hey, media, do your job and let bo do his. i personally do not like how combative he can be, but then again i really don't care. i understand where he is coming from, but i would prefer he toned down the petulance a bit. my thing is that dirk completely deserved it, but bo had a chance to be a bigger man and not get pulled into that trap. but as i think back at he, he just stopped asking him questions, which was fine, but he shouldn't have brought up that article. he put himself in great position by saying he never reads that stuff, then openly admits not only that he did, but it in fact does get to him.

also, rittenberg, it's called wikipedia, you'll find all of bo's ties to ohio you'd ever want.

Taylor Martinez Dirk Chatelain, the talented young quarterback writer who finds himself at the center of controversy, much of it of his own making.

Bo Pelini Lee Barfknecht, the wise old mentor who has his young player's coworker's back.

Who you support in this little drama says a lot about where your loyalties lie.

Knapplc, I don't think who you support in this says anything about your loyalties. You can be 100% loyal to someone and still believe they are wrong. Like I said in an earlier thread, I haven't read anything Dirk has written about the program or Bo, so admittedly I am a little uniformed as to what exactly preceded Saturday night, but...I am extremely loyal to whomever is coaching our team (Callahan and Watson...that was a little tough), but I still think Bo should have taken the high road on this one. Just ignore him and take questions from someone else and move on, then maybe this thing can end, but now it has escalated to a level where it is almost as much of a story as the game itself, and who knows when or how it will end. Already we have another writer jumping in with his opinions, what what's next?

+1. Spot on. Bo is the face of the program and by extension the face of the university. It looks bad when Bo goes full retard.

Bo is not helping his position as a person making millions per year. He needs to handle himself with class and act like this was a season saving victory, because it was.

I remember volunteering for youth coaching gigs in youth sports and sometimes I would go full retard as a volunteer. I always would wish I could take those actions back. Keep in mind I was unpaid volunteer and not the face of a program/state making millions though. Big difference.

Taylor Martinez Dirk Chatelain, the talented young quarterback writer who finds himself at the center of controversy, much of it of his own making.

Bo Pelini Lee Barfknecht, the wise old mentor who has his young player's coworker's back.

Knapplc, I don't think who you support in this says anything about your loyalties. You can be 100% loyal to someone and still believe they are wrong. Like I said in an earlier thread, I haven't read anything Dirk has written about the program or Bo, so admittedly I am a little uniformed as to what exactly preceded Saturday night, but...I am extremely loyal to whomever is coaching our team (Callahan and Watson...that was a little tough), but I still think Bo should have taken the high road on this one. Just ignore him and take questions from someone else and move on, then maybe this thing can end, but now it has escalated to a level where it is almost as much of a story as the game itself, and who knows when or how it will end. Already we have another writer jumping in with his opinions, what's next?

it needed to be handled.... this wasnt going away, and Dirk is out of line. but i'm not sure that was the best way too handle it. that being said I'm not sure I would have done better myself.

Knapplc, I don't think who you support in this says anything about your loyalties. You can be 100% loyal to someone and still believe they are wrong. Like I said in an earlier thread, I haven't read anything Dirk has written about the program or Bo, so admittedly I am a little uniformed as to what exactly preceded Saturday night, but...I am extremely loyal to whomever is coaching our team (Callahan and Watson...that was a little tough), but I still think Bo should have taken the high road on this one. Just ignore him and take questions from someone else and move on, then maybe this thing can end, but now it has escalated to a level where it is almost as much of a story as the game itself, and who knows when or how it will end. Already we have another writer jumping in with his opinions, what what's next?

+1. Spot on. Bo is the face of the program and by extension the face of the university. It looks bad when Bo goes full retard.

Bo is not helping his position as a person making millions per year. He needs to handle himself with class and act like this was a season saving victory, because it was.

no he doesn't. for one, making millions of dollars per year is exactly why he can act almost any way he wants to. and why does he need to act in such a way? what are the consequences when he doesn't?

He advised that Pelini remember football is the front porch of the University of Nebraska. And the football coach is the greeter on the first step. He pointed out that it's troubling when the first impression is of such antagonism.
from the barfknecht article.

this is disagreeable. maybe the football program is the front porch, but the only thing people see is wins and losses, not pressers. how many people actually pay attention to pressers, other than the media and us junkies here? how many people actually read the owh? compared to just a decade ago? the importance of the football program is national attention (espn, btn) and attendance. this whole episode is completely inconsequential to those two pursuits. finally, the more this goes on, the more it appears to be owh's attempt at stirring a controversy for page hits, regardless of the false light and damage they must create. never thought the owh would be so pernicious to the program, honestly because i always thought it was just too damn lazy.