Sipple: Dirk was wrong

"By suggesting last week that Martinez should be one subpar outing from being benched, the quarterback's critics essentially backed Pelini into a corner -- the clear implication being that if Martinez fails, so does the head coach.

It seemed an extreme stance one game into the Big Ten schedule. It's an extreme stance, period, to place such dire consequences on a young player. One more chance, kid, you'd better not blow it, or else.

What are the consequences for those who casually put Martinez under the gun in that manner? That's right, there are no consequences."

http://my.journalstar.com/post...f_fairness.html

http://huskerextra.com/sports/...bd4fc60f3a.html

This is getting funny. Now it is turning into a war of OWH vs LJS. You absolutely knew this article was coming. People get upset with something that an OWH writer writes so the LJS writes the exact opposite in a desperate attempt to get people to read the LJS.

It's not that. Sip has a good relationship with the coaching staff. Dirk has a very poor one. Sip gets better access and he usually puts out what the staff wants to be put out there, which isn't a bad thing. LJS has good, upbeat coverage. Other sources are more critical, and there's room for both.

This is getting funny. Now it is turning into a war of OWH vs LJS. You absolutely knew this article was coming. People get upset with something that an OWH writer writes so the LJS writes the exact opposite in a desperate attempt to get people to read the LJS.

It's not that. Sip has a good relationship with the coaching staff. Dirk has a very poor one. Sip gets better access and he usually puts out what the staff wants to be put out there, which isn't a bad thing. LJS has good, upbeat coverage. Other sources are more critical, and there's room for both.

Depends on how you look at it. LJS is a nice little cozy newspaper which has maybe 10% of the states population reading their stuff. OWH probably has 75% of the population reading their stuff. LJS is gonna do what they can to increase their readers. Simple business. (my %'s are total guesses and based on only people who actually read newspapers).

Sip might get better access and be a mouthpiece for the coaches but does it really matter if no one reads his stuff?

This notion that the LJS sucks up to the University is kind of silly. Sipple has criticized Bo in the past, including his demeanor in front of the media. The LJS has also said all the same things that anybody says about Taylor Martinez concerning his mechanics or his accuracy or his decision-making... They just haven't crossed the line like the OWH has at times, imo.

• Fire 1

This notion that the LJS sucks up to the University is kind of silly. Sipple has criticized Bo in the past, including his demeanor in front of the media. The LJS has also said all the same things that anybody says about Taylor Martinez concerning his mechanics or his accuracy or his decision-making... They just haven't crossed the line like the OWH has at times, imo.

I never said that the LJS sucks up to the university, just reiterated what zoogies had posted. I wouldn't really know because I have never once purchased a LJS and I lived in Lincoln for 5 years. OWH is way better. Better layout, better articles, better writers, imo.