Occupy Wall Street

London protesters march on Westminster

http://rt.com/news/occupy-london-march-camp-645/

In London dozens of protesters inspired by the US Occupy demonstrations have been arrested as they marched through the city. The Occupy London Stock Exchange protesters promise the rallies will continue as the movement expands. The OLSX protesters left their tented camp outside St Paul’s Cathedral on Saturday as they decided to march on Westminster. Some 500 people, most of them highly energized young people, joined the 200 already camped out at St Paul’s.

http://www.northcoastjournal.com/blogthing/2011/11/04/eureka-police-accuse-occupiers-defecation-assault/

Eureka, CA, occupiers make a deposit at the US Bank. This is from the Humbolt County Journal.

--------------------

On 11-04-2011, Officers of the Eureka Police Department responded to several crimes involving subjects who appear to be affiliated with the “Occupy Eureka” group.

At about 8:09 am, Officers responded to the 5th Street branch of US Bank for a biohazard report. A US Bank representative reported that she came to work to find an unknown subject(s) had urinated and defecated in the entry way to the bank. This is the second occurrence of this type at US Bank this week.

While taking the biohazard report, the officer was also advised that a complaint had been made to US Bank by a customer concerning being surrounded and harassed by subjects from the “Occupy” group, when they attempted to use the US Bank ATM.

To bring the thread back on topic ...

Although I'm pretty sure I won't like some of the solutions that will be proposed by Occupy groups, there will be some that have broader appeal. Plus, I think for our type of government to work, we need to have citizens actively engaged in all aspects, which includes idea generation. I'm not a big fan of the idea that only 'experts' should or can come up with solutions to problems.

And yeah, I include elected officials as 'experts.' Our politicians aren't in Washington to rule over us, they are there to be our voice. Nothing more, nothing less. If the politicans forget that, it's about time we remind them. If we forget that, Gods help us.

So if between them (Tea Party and Occupy) the population is woken up to our responsibilities as citizens to be active participants, that's all to the good.

To bring the thread back on topic ...

Although I'm pretty sure I won't like some of the solutions that will be proposed by Occupy groups, there will be some that have broader appeal. Plus, I think for our type of government to work, we need to have citizens actively engaged in all aspects, which includes idea generation. I'm not a big fan of the idea that only 'experts' should or can come up with solutions to problems.

And yeah, I include elected officials as 'experts.' Our politicians aren't in Washington to rule over us, they are there to be our voice. Nothing more, nothing less. If the politicans forget that, it's about time we remind them. If we forget that, Gods help us.

So if between them (Tea Party and Occupy) the population is woken up to our responsibilities as citizens to be active participants, that's all to the good.

The ones who appear to be focused on more than breaking stuff and getting free food (i.e., the original cadre of the Zuccotti Park group) appear to to be the only ones who might be active participants in the political process other than protest. But in an effort to make sure everyone is included in their current "political" process, they require that a consensus of 90 percent be required for any decision. All that naivete does is stymie any decision. The best thing that could happen is for them to go back to their communities and get involved - get organized and spread the word in some manner than that hokie sign language they developed. Otherwise everything they have worked for will be lost - the major media are turning on them as we speak.

Your point about politicians ruling over us is well taken. That sense of superiority on our Government's part is what took us to war in Iraq (and Vietnam, for that matter), led to the housing collapse (with help from Wall Street and Fannie/Freddie), and passage of Obamacare without reading the fine print. Both the OWS and Tea Party folks are working against that notion - it's just that the TP folks have always been "engaged" and know how to work the system.

By the nature of statistics there will always be one percenters.

The question is... how much of the nations wealth will/should they control?

And what percentage of the population is suffering due to losses of home and other basic services, and will the rest of the 99% care about their plight?

How can we, in a Capitalist society, have any say in how much wealth our neighbors own? Do I get to decide how wealthy you can be?

Well we have checks/balances. We don't alloy monopolies...or anything close to it like when we broke up the phone industry. This is what needs to be done to the banks. We can have taxes, income, estate, that keep the gap from getting too out of control. Don't get me wrong, having rich people is ok. We just the gap should be like it was back before the 80s.....and there were rich people back then.

So you advocate scrapping Capitalism? To become what?

How is anything he states suggestive of "scrapping capitalism"?

And the phrasing in questions like "how can we decide how wealthy our neighbors will be" is rather disingenuous. A healthy economy is one that, among many other things, does not allow for the extreme concentration of wealth. Extreme concentration of wealth is essentially plutocracy, because a tiny percentage of the population wield all the power as a side effect of them having all the money. We've had laws and policies to prevent this from happening in the "America" that everyone pines for. It's simply smart economic policy.

When the 99% are shouldering the burden of a recession, while the extreme top gets even richer, there's something wrong. There's no rising tide lifting everyone's boat, the water is being pumped out of our lake and into an exclusive member's only one. If anyone wants to talk about class warfare, that's where it is.

Also: