Osborne Praises Fans for their Role in Greatest Comeback

jsneb83

We've had this debate before, about who does more for the university, students or ticket-holders. Both students and ticket-holders are crucial for this program, so to give to one you have to take away from the other. You have to balance what you give to both equably.

The students shouldn't be stuck in a corner, stretched all the way up to the back of the stadium like they are now. They stand for the whole game, so if you put them closer, anyone behind them will similarly have to stand all game long, and that's a problem for some.

So where should we put the students? How could we best utilize their energy? How do we make their habits less intrusive to the other folks in the stands?

Pretty sure the issue here is not whether or not students need better seats...its the issue with telling Dr Tom it doesn't matter what he says...when in fact, he IS Nebraska Football. 255 wins, 3 NC, and everything else that came with it. Coach can say anything he wants because he has proven that he has the best interest of NU at heart. I agree, students should get better seats. But, Osborne should be shown respect. PERIOD.

edit: His 40 years given to all things Nebraska trump a LOT of other opinions.

This may be a scary thing to think about, but many of the students that are at the University now where not around in the 90's to watch Tom, I'm not saying it is an excuse, but may be a reason why to them, he is just another high up not treating the students with the amount of respect their tuition check should get them. Just a thought.

Pretty sure the issue here is not whether or not students need better seats...its the issue with telling Dr Tom it doesn't matter what he says...when in fact, he IS Nebraska Football. 255 wins, 3 NC, and everything else that came with it. Coach can say anything he wants because he has proven that he has the best interest of NU at heart. I agree, students should get better seats. But, Osborne should be shown respect. PERIOD.

Ehhh........

I'm willing to defer to Dr. Tom in a lot of ways, but I'm not going to agree with him on everything. This happens to be an area where I don't agree. There has to be a better way to utilize the energy the students bring than we're doing now.

This may be a scary thing to think about, but many of the students that are at the University now where not around in the 90's to watch Tom, I'm not saying it is an excuse, but may be a reason why to them, he is just another high up not treating the students with the amount of respect their tuition check should get them. Just a thought.

And now I'll flip-flop from the post I just made.

How does the tuition check today's students pay trump the tuition check paid by the grads in the stands who have not only fully paid their tuition, but are now boosters, athletic dept. contributors and season-ticket holders for the past X Number of years?

Being a student today doesn't mean squat to me when I've not only paid tuition but more besides. Should my greater contribution give me a greater voice? That's not a good argument, is it?

And now I'll flip-flop from the post I just made.

How does the tuition check today's students pay trump the tuition check paid by the grads in the stands who have not only fully paid their tuition, but are now boosters, athletic dept. contributors and season-ticket holders for the past X Number of years?

Being a student today doesn't mean squat to me when I've not only paid tuition but more besides. Should my greater contribution give me a greater voice? That's not a good argument, is it?

I'm not saying it does, and I see both points on the matter, and don't really have a dog in the fight, although I would like to see more than ~17% of the people in the stands be students. Overall this is a good problem to have. If we had 100,000 seats we would still have people trampling over each other just to grabs their spot.

Ehhh........

I'm willing to defer to Dr. Tom in a lot of ways, but I'm not going to agree with him on everything. This happens to be an area where I don't agree. There has to be a better way to utilize the energy the students bring than we're doing now.

Knapplc, I totally agree...maybe it didn't come through clearly. No way does Coach get a pass on everything. But, I'm like you, I'll defer to him in a lot of situations. And, like I said earlier, I absolutely agree with the students needing better seats. My main point was that given what he has done for the University, and as an extension, us personally, he gets a LOT of benefits of the doubt...I would imagine there is an effort to determine the best place/size for the students. Obviously, a lot of admin folks are going to see the impact of other student sections as we hit the road in the B1G.

That "trampling" thing is a VERY bad idea. Someone is going to blow out a knee doing this one day, like the kid in front of me did when they opened the gates for Fan Day. I had to stop and go get the medics for him while his mom tried to calm him down. Bad injury, and it's going to happen again with the way they run things.

Students should be closer, they should have assigned seating, and they shouldn't have to sprint down that ramp to get to their seats. I'll agree with all those points.

Good point...I forget how young current students (and via the transitive property) how old I am...Maybe we could require a certain number of credit hours dedicated to all things Husker History...you know, 2 years of math, a foreign language, and Husker History 101 could be requirements for admittance into UNL...

You're trully not serious are you?? You know what their tuition check should get them?? A good education. That's it, nothing less, nothing more. Tuition is for school not for getting good seats to the football games!!

I went to a school where the tuition was much more. It was my choice so I'm not asking for sympathy. But what did I expect from my tuition check? A good education. That's it. Why should students expect anything more from a tuition check other than a good education? If you do expect more than that then you should probably quit school and get that minimum wage job!!

What is the thing with all the entitlement these days?? I guess it's not only a problem with the football program, but just a general attitude with kids/young adults these days.

You're trully not serious are you?? You know what their tuition check should get them?? A good education. That's it, nothing less, nothing more. Tuition is for school not for getting good seats to the football games!!

I went to a school where the tuition was much more. It was my choice so I'm not asking for sympathy. But what did I expect from my tuition check? A good education. That's it. Why should students expect anything more from a tuition check other than a good education? If you do expect more than that then you should probably quit school and get that minimum wage job!!

What is the thing with all the entitlement these days?? I guess it's not only a problem with the football program, but just a general attitude with kids/young adults these days.

As a current student you are afforded more access to the university than somebody that is no longer a student. This isn't an issue of young people thinking they are entitled to something, IMO that argument is has been overly played out and in most cases isn't a valid argument. If you truly were correct about this, then there would be no student section or student ticket pricing at any University. To my knowledge, that is not the case at any respectable program.

I could take your argument to the fundamental extreme to show you how flawed it is... Why provide parking for students? Housing? Meal plans? A rec center? These things have nothing to do with education, which according to you is the only thing their tuition check affords them.

oh i see, because you expected nothing from your university, no student should expect anything from his/hers. i get it.

student fandom (as seen at madison and pretty much everywhere in the big ten) is what separates college from nfl. should band members have to pay for their tickets, after all, they are students, and should expect a good education, nothing more, nothing less. and wait a minute? why are the players getting in for free? college athletics is part of what makes the college experience special, and i am sure they have fees, a lot of them, to attend sporting events. the school should want student involvement. you may not know this, but there was a time when students paid nothing to go to games. after all, they just want to watch their team, the student-athletes. the phrase, 'student-athletes', should mean something more and indicate whose team they really are.

"There's a lot to play for, and we're going to need everybody's support," Osborne said. "What we can't have is a lot of division. You don't want to see a lot of nit-picking. —Tom Osborne

A bit ironic that this was in the original post. Ha ha! :lol: