Big Ten Trip of a Lifetime - Year 5

Huskers Fans,

My friends and I are currently on what started as a 12 year trip, now a 13 year trip, to attend a football game at every Big 10 school, plus Notre Dame. So far we have visited Northwestern, Notre Dame, Purdue and Penn State.

Our random drawing this year is bringing us to Lincoln to see the Nebraska vs. Michigan State game on October 29.

I'm hoping the Nebraska fans can help us out. When we take our trip, we like to have the whole game weekend experience. So, we are looking for suggestions as to how we can fully enjoy the weekend.

What are the places to stop at on Friday night / Saturday before the game / Saturday after the game? Sights? Bars? Campus spots? Are there any must eat restaurants or foods? On game day, is there good tailgating or are the parking lots just a place to park your car? Laugh if you must at the last question, but the only good tailgating we've found so far was Penn State.

We are staying in Gretna, but we are expecting to be in Lincoln most of the time we are there - unless someone mentions a must stop in Omaha.

For your information, we are fans of the home team when we travel. The only exception will probably be when we choose Ohio State.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advanced.

Misty's at Havelock friday night. it is an old steakhouse. Go with the prime rib. The marching band and cheerleaders have a pep rally there inside the restaurant and march up and down the stairs / between the tables. It's an awesome tradition. If it is a big game normally ABC/ESPN will normally be there getting footage for commercial in/outakes for the game.

Misty's at Havelock friday night. it is an old steakhouse. Go with the prime rib. The marching band and cheerleaders have a pep rally there inside the restaurant and march up and down the stairs / between the tables. It's an awesome tradition. If it is a big game normally ABC/ESPN will normally be there getting footage for commercial in/outakes for the game.

It sounds like a good time - hopefully we'll be able to get in and have a good cut of beef.

I don't think any of us has had Runzas or Vanentinos, but one member of our group has been to Omaha for the NCAA World Series so he may have tried both.

Will we be able to find tickets on game day or should we start looking at Stub Hub or Craigslist or another ticket outlet?

It sounds like a good time - hopefully we'll be able to get in and have a good cut of beef.

I don't think any of us has had Runzas or Vanentinos, but one member of our group has been to Omaha for the NCAA World Series so he may have tried both.

Will we be able to find tickets on game day or should we start looking at Stub Hub or Craigslist or another ticket outlet?

I would recommend looking for tickets now. NU has sold out 315 (about to be 316) straight home games and tickets are pretty hard to come by...especially against a good MSU team.

Runza is a great place to eat...definately recommend it. Misty's is great too. Valentino's should be one of your last list items...it's not all that IMO. Parker's BBQ in Ashland (between Gretna and Lincoln) is good.

Tailgating in Lincoln is probably more fun that going into the game. Find 1620 the Zone radio station and you've hit the pinnacle of tailgating in Lincoln....also underneath the interstate via duct is pretty fun. TONS of folks...the city / game day experience is right up there with the best of them.

Love your trip idea. I am going to suggest this to my buddies tomorrow night. We might steal your idea.